Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Drygon

Do you actually think it's fair to compare Nampalys Mendy with N’Golo Kanté?

I know it's not fair to compare to Kante but you can see instantly that Kante is in a different class the timing is evident to see, I honestly thought King done just as much as Mendy second half and I'm not his biggest fan.

however it's to early to judge Mendy he will need a run of games but he is defiantly a yard slower than Kante but who isn't? So it's no hard feelings against him.

would like to see Amartey get a run in the middle as well, although today was a lot more positive against a good side.

58 minutes ago, psychonaut said:

Thought we carried him. Wasnt involved and very pedestrian. Didnt look to get forward - there were two occasions of him halting momentum and going backwards when there were other forward passes available. There was a clear improvement in play as soon as king came on. 

I agree he didn't look on his game today. He had just started to get going in the second half when he went down injured.

I don't think we should he's a different player, and as I realised today any kind of comparison with Kante can sound different in your outside voice to what you actually mean in your head. 

I was just thinking to myself Mendy is quite a lot more muscular and stocky than his predecessor and blurted out 'he looks like a bit of a fat Kante !!' 

Of course it's unfair, but it has to be a worry he was so uninvolved defensively and attack wise. Shame he got injured just as he got involved 

the ranieri buying names he knows instead of what's needed raises its head though for me 

4 minutes ago, foxhateram said:

Any update on his injury? Were fooked if he is out long term.

Ranieri said he'd twisted his ankle, that they'll look at it again tomorrow. It doesn't sound like they're expecting it to be serious, but if it needs a scan you never know what they might find.

I thought he was shaky in the first half and that Drinkwater was having to get through a lot more work. He settled into the game nicely in the second half and it was a shame he was injured when he was. 

As for us being in trouble if he's out long term, I think that's an area where we'd need more options anyway. If we ever go to three in the middle (and work on the principle that Inler is on his way and James isn't needed) then we'll only have Amartey as back-up for three slots, unless Kapustka, Mahrez drop into centre mid. It feels a little bare there, and we may well need the option of a more conventional ball-winning midfielder.

I suppose the comparisons with Kante are inevitable. He was in the Kante role today and in terms of stature there are similarities. At times I thought he was trying too hard to be a ball-winner, so there's probably a conscious effort on his part to do the Kante role. It may help Mendy no end if we buy a more 'like for like' replacement, because Mendy will be able to focus on being Mendy a little more.

12 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

For those saying Mendy was carried first half but looked so much better second half before being injured.

You do realise he was injured 3 mins 50 seconds into the second half?

It just makes your argument sound a little weak

I did think at the time he'd started the second half really well and then that happened.

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Of course it's unfair, but it has to be a worry he was so uninvolved defensively and attack wise. Shame he got injured just as he got involved 

the ranieri buying names he knows instead of what's needed raises its head though for me 

Does it suggest that our scouting network is in flux, rather than that Ranieri is unwisely insisting on his personal targets being signed?

The apparent replacement for Kante wasn't a product of our scouting, and Ranieri indicated that Kaspustka was a player he'd been drawn to during the Euros (although he may well have been scouted beforehand). This, coupled with the lack of recent business - in spite of us perhaps needed another option or two - might indicate that we're doing a lot of re-jigging behind the scenes.

Maybe Ranieri simply wasn't convinced by the targets he was presented with in the summer, and he wants changes to our scouting system before we do too much business (as opposed to your earlier suggestion that we are simply trying to run a tight ship at the moment). Or maybe we'll sign an unheard-of gem from the middle of nowhere and I'll be proven totally wrong.

I don't think it is unfair to compare, especially when our team today was our champions team with Mendy in for Kante. He is a different player, but he has a similar role to perform, which is to protect the back 4 set attacks going and complement Drinkwater, all of which Kante did. Mendy showed promise today and they could form a good partnership. It is also not unfair to compare DD and Kante to DD and Mendy. What is not fair is to expect him to be anywhere near as good as Kante on his Premier League debut against a team with talent of Arsenal.

Kante came in with no expectations and he took time to adjust, so will Mendy, so compare him to Kante just give him time to show his ability.

18 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

For those saying Mendy was carried first half but looked so much better second half before being injured.

Fair point, I'm guilty of that too. Maybe it's better to say that he improved as the game wore on.

No it's not fair. 1 because he's never going to be as good (Kante for me is the best player in his role in the world) and 2 because allegedly he isn't the same sort of player.

It's not Mendy's fault he's not Kante - but it will be our fault if we don't find a direct replacement for Kante. We're not going to find someone as good, but we do need to find a player who wins the ball and gets rid of it quickly.

I don't think it is unfair to compare, especially when our team today was our champions team with Mendy in for Kante. He is a different player, but he has a similar role to perform, which is to protect the back 4 set attacks going and complement Drinkwater, all of which Kante did. Mendy showed promise today and they could form a good partnership. It is also not unfair to compare DD and Kante to DD and Mendy. What is not fair is to expect him to be anywhere near as good as Kante on his Premier League debut against a team with talent of Arsenal.

Kante came in with no expectations and he took time to adjust, so will Mendy, so compare him to Kante just give him time to show his ability.

Yes!!!

And also to add, he did well today. As the guy earlier said, he was growing into it, so it was a shame he got injured.

He played well, everyone did. A much more balanced team. Looking forward to next week and I hope our team get Mendy back asap.

1 hour ago, Merging Cultures said:

Good evening MC I'm not sure how? Its not really an argument more of an observation. Regardless of the 3 mins 50 seconds there was a whole 45 mins before that with the same personnel.

I call lt as I see it. Drinkwater was again absolutely class, Morgan and Simpson were other standout performers as a team we played very well against a underperforming Arsenal side. Very reminiscent of a lot of last seasons performances and in the end we were unfortunate not to win the game. 

I didnt think Mendy's performance was outright bad - far from it - he just wasnt up to the standard the rest of the team were playing at. My feeling is - he wont bring anything more than what King already brings to the team. I may be wrong in time - I'd love to be wrong - but thats just my feeling on what I've witnessed thus far. 

I'm making my observation completely objectively and not in comparison to Kante. As I've said before they are not the same kind of player. 

48 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

Personally, I didn't see a difference. And I'm pretty sure all players look more lively in the first 4 mins of either half. And often in the last 4 mins of each half too.

We can't see how the second half would have gone with him, but in those few minutes he was certainly more noticeable then he had been in the first half.

1 hour ago, psychonaut said:

Good evening MC I'm not sure how? Its not really an argument more of an observation. Regardless of the 3 mins 50 seconds there was a whole 45 mins before that with the same personnel.

I call lt as I see it. Drinkwater was again absolutely class, Morgan and Simpson were other standout performers as a team we played very well against a underperforming Arsenal side. Very reminiscent of a lot of last seasons performances and in the end we were unfortunate not to win the game. 

I didnt think Mendy's performance was outright bad - far from it - he just wasnt up to the standard the rest of the team were playing at. My feeling is - he wont bring anything more than what King already brings to the team. I may be wrong in time - I'd love to be wrong - but thats just my feeling on what I've witnessed thus far. 

I'm making my observation completely objectively and not in comparison to Kante. As I've said before they are not the same kind of player. 

I suppose those who say it's too early are probably correct.  But I saw a phisical player who, though many passes were to the rear or laterals (by the way very much like Kante), was spot on.  

Go back and watch the challenges and see how many he won or caused great difficulties because of them.  Look at how he covered the field also. Remember that he is new.  It will take time for him to learn which way a vardy or drinkwater break, but he will.  His traps are good, he's aggressive, his passes are accurate and he wins challenges. 

Think a lot of people are being harsh on his performance, thought he was good personally, his off the ball positioning was excellent, seems to already have a good relationship with Drinkwater. Give him time. Can't really complain at any players performance after they gained 1 more point than what we got off arsenal all last season.

Archived