Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Drygon

[Video] Leicester penalty call, Musa goes down in the box vs Arsenal

11 hours ago, Merging Cultures said:

I'll be controversial and say that he was leaning into the player and the legs clashed. Which isn't very different to what happened with Vardy last season when he caused his legs in front of the player, got clipped, went down and got booked. Many of you then were saying he dived. This looks similar to me.

I know what you're saying. We saw a number of times last season that Vardy got in front of the defender and the defender ran into the back of him. What Musa did was not dissimilar. We saw that given as a penalty last season (well, sometimes!) and so it ought to have been yesterday. At least imo.

Though it has made me think. If referees are starting to see that as a tactic, as deliberately provoking contact, then MAYBE they're less inclined to give it. Strikers could get in front of the defender, slow up and wait for contact - and down they go. Now I'm NOT saying that was what Musa did (nor what Vardy did last season) but only remarking that if refs start seeing it that way...

He moves in front a little to improve his angle on the goal.

As for it being a deliberate manoeuvre isn't that the case were players are continually falling forward when someone comes in close behind even though there's no obvious push, seems to generate a lot of dubious freekicks, ironically never given when it happens in the penalty area.

I think this was a stone waller,

i also think that attackers slowing down in the box, which ultimately initiates contact, is also completely acceptable. Why should a striker with more pace than a defender not be allowed to slow down, surely the defender when attempting to close down any player should be judging speed on approach instead of being able just to run as fast as they can to get back?

surely if a striker wanted to sprint and then to stop in a stationary position that is also acceptable and the defender needs to expect to have to judge this? Otherwise what is the art of defending?

i just think strikers are getting much quicker and cleverer to these types of situation.

i also think often over exaggerated falls after initiating contact don't help.

I know what you're saying. We saw a number of times last season that Vardy got in front of the defender and the defender ran into the back of him. What Musa did was not dissimilar. We saw that given as a penalty last season (well, sometimes!) and so it ought to have been yesterday. At least imo.

Though it has made me think. If referees are starting to see that as a tactic, as deliberately provoking contact, then MAYBE they're less inclined to give it. Strikers could get in front of the defender, slow up and wait for contact - and down they go. Now I'm NOT saying that was what Musa did (nor what Vardy did last season) but only remarking that if refs start seeing it that way...

I agree, I think they'll be less inclined. But there is nothing wrong in manufacturing a foul. It's certainly not the most sporting, but players have been doing it for years, and we probably need to sharpen our skills in this area.

Guest CityFan 06

I was virtually in line with Musa when the tackle came in and thought at the time it was a pen. The question I keep asking myself is, if Arsenal were awarded a penalty for a tackle exactly like that, would there be complaints from us? I don't think I would complain too much at that, it's not a dive. Luckily our defence keep such a solid back line we don't really get ourselves into that kind of position. 

We got a penalty last week when it clearly wasn't a penalty.

I'm not moaning. Balanced out and all that.

Except it was a penalty. Yes the initial foul was outside, but there was another bit of contact inside.

And it didn't balance anything, because we still got 0 points from that game regardless. With the tight call we should have gotten 2 more points this game.

11 hours ago, Fox92 said:

We got a penalty last week when it clearly wasn't a penalty.

I'm not moaning. Balanced out and all that.

5 hours ago, FireFox said:

Except it was a penalty. Yes the initial foul was outside, but there was another bit of contact inside.

And it didn't balance anything, because we still got 0 points from that game regardless. With the tight call we should have gotten 2 more points this game.

quite right

Looking at it again it was definitely a penalty.  

In defense of the ref, which I usually never do, in real time I thought it looked like two players getting tangled.  

For clattenburg, I'm guessing he was assuming that since the league is so full of cheats, he'd rather refrain from the penalty (a lesser of two evils.  

Unfortunately we can't all be like the venerable Collina. Those sorts of refs come around so infrequently.

On 20/08/2016 at 22:25, Merging Cultures said:

I'll be controversial and say that he was leaning into the player and the legs clashed. Which isn't very different to what happened with Vardy last season when he caused his legs in front of the player, got clipped, went down and got booked. Many of you then were saying he dived. This looks similar to me.

Personally, I'd say both were penos. But some of you can't have it both ways.

Aye, Musa was running to the right (either to try and drive Hector away from the ball or to cut across to widen the goal angle) but Bellerin clearly sees that that's what he's going to do. However Bellerin sticks his left leg out anyway and needlessly brings him down.

Cech and Holding's reactions, as someone else said, showed no sign of protest when they were perfectly placed to see Musa being tripped up.

I'd love to give Clattenburg the benefit of the doubt and say Bellerin's body was obstructing his view but to me it's a stonewall penalty that should have been given regardless.

3 hours ago, Sionnach gorm said:

Looking at it again it was definitely a penalty.  

In defense of the ref, which I usually never do, in real time I thought it looked like two players getting tangled.  

For clattenburg, I'm guessing he was assuming that since the league is so full of cheats, he'd rather refrain from the penalty (a lesser of two evils.  

Unfortunately we can't all be like the venerable Collina. Those sorts of refs come around so infrequently.

there is no defense for the ref I sit in A1 and could see how blatant of a penalty it was how he couldn't see from 12 yards away Defies logic 

On 20/8/2016 at 23:25, Merging Cultures said:

Personally, I'd say both were penos. But some of you can't have it both ways.

You can clearly see from the view behind that Bellerin tries to poke the ball through Musa's legs and fails to make contact with anything but Musa's legs. It's naïve and something Bellerin has been prone to doing a few times now. It's careless and a foul in the area which equates to a penalty. Vardy at West Ham was a 50/50 which most agree should not have been given either way.

I wish there was more scope for managers and players to calmly criticise or question the referees without being disciplined. Maintaining this illusion of infallibility is ridiculous. The questions Clattenburg needs to answer are: 'If you believed it wasn't a penalty then why wasn't Musa booked for diving?' and 'You immediately reached for your yellow card and then changed your mind when you realised it was Coquelin. Justify your reasoning for that?' 

8 hours ago, limeydale said:

Clattenberg looked woefully out of shape to me, huffing and puffing struggling for air and the strain showing on his face. Maybe a lack of oxygen affected his thinking.

On another note: Do refs get drug tested after games?

Thought the same, he seemed to get in the way of players a heck of a lot as well. Probably stemming from not wanting to run about as much.

Archived