Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Drygon

[Video] Leicester penalty call, Musa goes down in the box vs Arsenal

11 hours ago, foxaholic said:

quite right

Apart from it's not. We got a penalty last week for the initial contact which was outside of the penalty area.

But on Saturday's, in real time I also thought it was two players getting tangled up. It's alright everybody analyzing penalty decisions but a referee has a split second that's all. And I believe over the course of a season they'll balance out. We had enough last season to glaze over the penalties we didn't get - and yes I know that's not the point and if it's a penalty it should be given but referees should get more assistance from their linesmen. 

If you watch Giroud as Musa goes to ground he goes to put his hands on his head as if to say 'shít, peno' then quickly changes his mind and starts flapping them around like an orangutan.

Very unlucky not to be given.

how about in situations like this 'is it a penalty or not' give managers two referalls in the game they can call on if they are right they get the decision if there wrong they lose a referral, it wouldn't take that long for the ref to signal to the fourth official and may help the game. if the video ref calls it a penalty then give it if not carry on the game. simple.

5 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

how about in situations like this 'is it a penalty or not' give managers two referalls in the game they can call on if they are right they get the decision if there wrong they lose a referral, it wouldn't take that long for the ref to signal to the fourth official and may help the game. if the video ref calls it a penalty then give it if not carry on the game. simple.

1st time i've ever watched hockey in the olympics and noticed they do this with a player referral. Good idea. 

2 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

So is it possible that Musa has played for this in a Vardy-esque fashion?

Musa puts his right foot across the player and then ensures his left foot catches in the tangle of legs?

Just asking :ph34r:... 

That was actually how I first saw it in real time. But if you watch it again, the Arsenal player initiates the contact.

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

That was actually how I first saw it in real time. But if you watch it again, the Arsenal player initiates the contact.

I've watched it a lot and my decision changes each time with the the angle of the camera!

8 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

So is it possible that Musa has played for this in a Vardy-esque fashion?

Musa puts his right foot across the player and then ensures his left foot catches in the tangle of legs?

Just asking :ph34r:... 

Bellerin was the only one doing something wrong, Musa is well within his rights to shield the ball from Bellerin. If Musa moved his legs to catch Bellerin then I would say no penalty but Bellerin sticks his legs in and there is nothing Musa can do to avoid it.

Dermot Gallagher on Ref watch on SSNHQ 

MATCH: Leicester City v Arsenal, Premier League, Saturday

INCIDENT: Danny Drinkwater goes down in the area following a challenge from Laurent Koscielny

SCENARIO: After Petr Cech dives at the feet of Jamie Vardy, the ball breaks loose to Drinkwater, who then goes over in the box under Koscielny's challenge. However, Mark Clattenburg says 'no penalty'

DERMOT'S VERDICT: Correct decision

DERMOT SAYS: I think he gets a touch on the ball. It's a good call by Mark Clattenberg. Laurent Koscielny gets the ball first and that's why the ball goes the way it does. As a referee you are looking for all kinds of clues. Does the ball change direction? I think it did.

MATCH: Leicester City v Arsenal, Premier League, Saturday

INCIDENT: Hector Bellerin brings down Ahmed Musa

SCENARIO: Musa gets past Bellerin near the left-hand touchline before racing into the box, only for the Leicester forward's run to be ended by Bellerin's clumsy challenge. Again, though, the experienced official decides it was not a foul. 

DERMOT'S VERDICT: Incorrect decision

DERMOT SAYS: I think it's a penalty, the referee obviously doesn't - I don't know why. Musa has been really clever putting himself between the player and the ball. Bellerin has got nowhere to go and he's missed the ball and taken him out. For me it's a penalty, but Mark Clattenburg saw it differently.

Shit happens. We got a bad call and that against our frickin nemesis team, who also got rub of the green last time out, but we need to move on. We will get our lucky breaks too. Just remember what Huth got away with last season... 

Teammate Suggests Clattenburg Apologised To Musa Over Penalty Incident After The Game

Nigeria

By owngoaladmin

Aug 22, 2016

A close friend to Super Eagles and Leicester City forward Ahmed Musa says Mark Clattenburg, the referee who denied the 23 year old a stone wall penalty claim against Arsenal had a chat with him after the game.

Musa was clipped from behind by Arsenal defender Hector Bellerin in the box, after using his pace and trickery to leave the Spaniard in his wake.

However Clattenburg waved play on, but video replays showed the forward was indeed tripped by the Arsenal man, which in a way made the referee to have a word with the Nigerian,

” We spoke about the penalty incident and he confirmed the referee had a chat with him in the dressing room over it, it’s unfortunate it wasn’t given but then again such things happen in football” a national team colleague of the forward told Owngoalnigeria.com.

19 hours ago, davieG said:

Teammate Suggests Clattenburg Apologised To Musa Over Penalty Incident After The Game

Nigeria

By owngoaladmin

Aug 22, 2016

A close friend to Super Eagles and Leicester City forward Ahmed Musa says Mark Clattenburg, the referee who denied the 23 year old a stone wall penalty claim against Arsenal had a chat with him after the game.

Musa was clipped from behind by Arsenal defender Hector Bellerin in the box, after using his pace and trickery to leave the Spaniard in his wake.

However Clattenburg waved play on, but video replays showed the forward was indeed tripped by the Arsenal man, which in a way made the referee to have a word with the Nigerian,

” We spoke about the penalty incident and he confirmed the referee had a chat with him in the dressing room over it, it’s unfortunate it wasn’t given but then again such things happen in football” a national team colleague of the forward told Owngoalnigeria.com.

i am just totally sick and tired of referees apologising for the mistakes they make and think that is good enough it isn't. decisions like these have huge cost and implications and it is time to find away to a solution instead of saying nothing can be done and this is how it will always be

1 hour ago, foxy boxing said:

i am just totally sick and tired of referees apologising for the mistakes they make and think that is good enough it isn't. decisions like these have huge cost and implications and it is time to find away to a solution instead of saying nothing can be done and this is how it will always be

Agree. Penalties are the biggest source of frustration in football.

We should just do away with them completely unless it stops a clear goal-scoring opportunity. A foul in the box like that should just result in a direct free kick.

There's no way that Clattenburg didn't see the foul. If you watch him, Clattenburg has already put his arms behind his back before Musa has even hit the ground! He just bottled giving a last minute penalty.  If he had been able to give a free kick though it would have been an easy decision for him.

Although this incident with Musa was definitely a penalty - maybe Fox Ulike has a good idea, in that we need another alternative for incidents in the box, other than cards/penalties?

Having watched the Olympics, recently, maybe what we need is an equivalent to the penalty corners in hockey?

Guest Cujek
On 21/08/2016 at 10:26, Fox92 said:

We got a penalty last week when it clearly wasn't a penalty.

I'm not moaning. Balanced out and all that.

Inconsistencies are never balanced.

Sh1t ref's who fail to complete the very basics of their jobs mean things are never balanced.

I see Moss was at it again as well lol. 

On 21 August 2016 at 10:26, Fox92 said:

I'm not moaning. Balanced out and all that.

Only if you oversimplify to the point of meaningless. The two quite clearly aren't balanced - two wrong decisions; we have one point. Two correct decisions we'd be highly likely to have three. So on balance we're two points down because of these wrong decisions.

How anyone can day they didn't think it was a pen on the day is beyond me. It was clear as day that the bloke touched Musa's back leg, tangling of legs or not, it is a pen. As a defender you shouldn't be running that close behind a player, and if you do and clip them it's a foul. Had that been outside the box it would have been a free kick all day long, so why should it not be a foul in it? 

If a defender tangles his legs or has a coming together. That is his own fault and he has commited a foul. I don't understand where these phrases have come from or why people think nowadays a tangling of legs isn't a foul. The defender is in control of that based on where they run, it is their own fault if they run far too close and trip their opponents. 

19 hours ago, Fox Ulike said:

Agree. Penalties are the biggest source of frustration in football.

We should just do away with them completely unless it stops a clear goal-scoring opportunity. A foul in the box like that should just result in a direct free kick.

There's no way that Clattenburg didn't see the foul. If you watch him, Clattenburg has already put his arms behind his back before Musa has even hit the ground! He just bottled giving a last minute penalty.  If he had been able to give a free kick though it would have been an easy decision for him.

But that run would have led to a clear goal scoring oppertunity. We had 3 players in the box waiting for the easy lay back before Musa was dumped to the floor by the clumsy defender. A foul in the box whether it is accidental or not, has always been and should always be a penalty! The refs conscience shouldn't come into play here at all, if he hasn't the balls to do his job properly, then he should ply another trade. 

It's like saying a carpenter with sensitive ears doesn't want to use the noisy saw, but give him a quiet manual one, then he can do the job. Would you as his employer, employ him?

stopping play for these type of incidents is always going to be difficult. If the ref thinks no foul, then who decides to stop the game, and when? Captain? Manager? Fourth Offical? Someone else? 

You can just imagine the ref waiting for an answer from the TV offical whilst being harranged by players from both teams. 

There is also the possibility that an advantage gained by the team who had supposedly "fouled" being denied by the break/restart in play.

I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, but the actual practicalities of implementing are complicated.

I think whats worked against Musa here is the " heskey twist" he does after contact is made. It's not a full leap off a diving board that some will try but a twist that wouldn't look out of place on a 1950s dance floor.. 

10 hours ago, MPH said:

I think whats worked against Musa here is the " heskey twist" he does after contact is made. It's not a full leap off a diving board that some will try but a twist that wouldn't look out of place on a 1950s dance floor.. 

I don't see it. I see the defenders legs wrap around his and him falling. People seem to have this unrealistic idea that a fall at speed is controllable. Like Vardy he is like lightning, any small touch sends you flying when your at speed. Yet refs and fans nowadays seem to have this strange view that if you dont face plant the floor it isn't a foul. I don't understand it. 

1 hour ago, foxhateram said:

I don't see it. I see the defenders legs wrap around his and him falling. People seem to have this unrealistic idea that a fall at speed is controllable. Like Vardy he is like lightning, any small touch sends you flying when your at speed. Yet refs and fans nowadays seem to have this strange view that if you dont face plant the floor it isn't a foul. I don't understand it. 

Youre joking, right?

now I am not saying he wasn't fouled, or that he could stop himself from falling what I am commenting on is the completly unnatural twist of his right shoulder to the left as He was clipped from behind. What's unrealistic is his upper body movement after his legs are hit. He was running towards the goal , was clipped and went looking for it. That's what has gone against him.

Archived