Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Defensive Shambles

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

No excuses for the lack of coordination and concentration today. We've looked as apalling as we've done in years today, everyone has been utterly atrocious.

I think we've relied too much on Wes, Huth, Fuchs and Simpson continuing on from last season and we've not added any real competition or cover in this area. We were pursuing Keane after signing Hernandez so we knew we were short of quality competition in this area. We didn't get him and left it as it was. To have only one right back in the squad is very poor, Simpson has no competition.

lol

Here we go...it didn't take long did it.

This defence is the SAME back four who were an absolute rock last season. Yet now, apparently, they are over the hill.

Look to the midfield. There's the problem...... Did you not see goal 2 and 3 today? Mata, completely unmarked, with time to do what Mata does well.

I didn't think it would be long before the defence started to be scapegoated.

Todays team was the same team as last season, with the same formation, with one change....Kante out, Amartey in.

58 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

United have taken advantage of taking the lead when we were on top and they were poor. The defending has let us down completely, but that includes the whole side not just the back 5.

We were architects of our own downfall.

Although Liverpool was a similar result it was largely down to their slick play.

Against Manure we looked on to until their first goal then lost it.

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

lol

Here we go...it didn't take long did it.

This defence is the SAME back four who were an absolute rock last season. Yet now, apparently, they are over the hill.

Look to the midfield. There's the problem...... Did you not see goal 2 and 3 today? Mata, completely unmarked, with time to do what Mata does well.

I didn't think it would be long before the defence started to be scapegoated.

Todays team was the same team as last season, with the same formation, with one change....Kante out, Amartey in.

Bit of both,Col.

It may be the same back four but they are not performing as well as last season.

Likewise the midfield,DD excepted.

That said,were the top six going to be as lacklustre as last season again.

If Claudio doesnt attack and address this problem..expect away drubbings from anybody in top 6.

The honest fact is simple, the back four have lost the knack, plus they ha v e lost the covering

for each other...These are not one off games of just having a bad day...

Unfortunately the whole team is showing negative patterns.The team, the group have to get started

again, individual play  wont help us.

Its even  after only 6 games, not the losing, but how we are losing. Amartey could turn out to be a good

player, but he needs someone beside him. Its time to fill the midfield, away from home, depending

on DD and Amartey alone would be suicide.

1 hour ago, EnglishOxide said:

This is the worst we've played since 6-0 at Portsmouth.

Big Nige wouldn't have allowed this to happen either, we would at least be in the match, there would be headbutts all over the place.

United are class without Fellaini and Rooney dragging them down, and our 442 cannot persist against teams like this without Kante. It's unfair to put Amartey in at 21 years old and expect him to be the same.

****ing fuming.

You say that, but we were just as bad first half Old Trafford in the great escape season

So far this season we've conceded four against Paris St German, four against Barcelona, four against Liverpool, four against Chelsea and now four against Manchester United.  

Last season we only conceded more than four once which was the 2-5 against Arsenal late September last year.  The season before that we only conceded four once which was the 4-3 vs Spurs.  

Failure to sort this shambles out and it's a relegation fight.  Pure and simple.

Can't blame a formation on doing things like defending a corner three times. 

Embarrassing that was. Literally could put a non league defence out which actually would defend corners better. 

No point blaming this new holding rule being enforced. Same for every side 

last season back four had to do half the work they have done this season - Kante would do so much huth and morgan were hardly required to come out and challenge attacks from the middle.

good example today was how Amartey was nowhere challenging pogba for mata goal

everyone is more or less the same as last year.... Amartey is nowhere near good enough to replace kante or do his role.

Hopefully mendy can do better in that role if we persist with 4-4-2

Also Slimani looked poor today, don't remember him winning one header against united defence

Ranieri is in no way out of his depth. He's managed at the top level for years and won his first ever title last season.

He changed the system in last year's preseason, he changed the failing full-backs after a few games, he dropped Mahrez when he needed to. It brought us the title and Champions League football to our city, the first night of which is on Tuesday.

He has kept faith with this side, but I'm convinced he will begin to change things again now. I expect us to be back in for Keane or another centre-back in January. To concede 3 goals from corners today was absolutely awful. I also expect that we will be set up differently away from home against big sides.

Amartey wasn't the problem. They were playing units we weren't. We weren't even tackling.  

King is not the answer either. He's just not physically strong enough and won't make a tackle unless he he can win the Ball. Not what you want for your midfielders.

I'm afraid his level is the Championship. Or stay a back up for injuries. If we are serious about moving to the next level we need better.

12 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Amartey wasn't the problem. They were playing units we weren't. We weren't even tackling.  

King is not the answer either. He's just not physically strong enough and won't make a tackle unless he he can win the Ball. Not what you want for your midfielders.

I'm afraid his level is the Championship. Or stay a back up for injuries. If we are serious about moving to the next level we need better.

lol

Amartey wasn't the whole problem no. But he's awful at this level. Just watch what he misses and you'll see.

Anyone think our current shitness from set-pieces is because of these new regulations for holding in the box? We were very sly in our box last year and got away with a lot, but it was very effective, good defending. We may have had to consciously change our style

1 minute ago, Charl91 said:

Being good in league 1 doesn't mean he's good enough for the premier.

King is adequate back up, but shouldn't be a starter in any premier team, especially not in 4 4 2

Agreed, however in a game like today I definitely would have started king in a more advanced role. Completely rolled over in midfield away from home again today

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

Honestly think we're missing Schmeichel's communication on set pieces. Zieler doesn't seem very vocal at all.

I thought this. I like Zieler, his distribution is better than Kasper and he's a great shot stopper, but as you say, doesn't marshal his defence as much. Could possibly be a lack of fluent English (I can't remember hearing him speak.)

Archived