Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Demarai Gray

He demonstrated some classy touches and created a few problems for united today, not to mention his superb strike. Only downfall is he'll probably start against Porto and be abysmal. Consistency is key and unfortunately for Gray he is not consistent enough. 

The problem on the horizon is that Gray needs to develop more options - when we are cautious he controls the ball and plays it back.  On other days he cuts in from the left and is capable of scoring great goals (like today and also the one against us pre-last season)... he needs to look at other wide plays and learn their tricks... or he will be sussed too easily .  He can be a great player - he did well today :-)

Edited by foxinsocks

I'd personally give him a bash ahead of albrighton, it's all well and good having a player who can cut in and whip a ball over but when that's his only move we're screwed, the lads left peg is non existent, I've noticed him being shown down the line quite a few times this season so I guess other clubs are starting to cotton on to this

2 hours ago, crazyleicester said:

4-0 up and they weren't that bothered which made things easier for us. I wouldnt judge much of the 2nd half in positives or negatives although Grays wonder goal was sensational and he did once again show some nice touches but he didnt show much at Hull on the season opener when the chips were down. 

Before we hail him as the messiah (he will be class in the future for sure) I would just take a bit of heed there before we put too much pressure on him. Also, I dont think we can play two strikers, Mahrez right AND Gray on the left. Its too light weight. Albrighton brings some defensive and positional discipline where Gray is likely to go all over the shop. Gray is also quite a selfish player where Albrighton is likely to check back and cross the ball. 

I would like to see us playing a 451 with Mahrez right and Gray left which turns into a 433 but that means us playing just Vardy up front and three midfielders behind the front three. How we do that when we have 75 strikers I dont know but any team thats tactically astute would kill us in a 442 with the aforementioned pair playing wide.

Id like us to mix up tactics and stop being so predictable. Whether we try a flat back 3 of 433/451 we do have to mix up tactics not just personnel. 

I think this is a great point. Correct me if im

wrong but didn't we do this with Southampton Away Last season? Got done with 2 set peices and then changed it with Mahrez allowed to feed Vardy up top and their link up play worked immensely to pull it back to 2-2.

I think Mahrez works well when he's allowed to roam inside and link up with the striker; however I think we've been sussed when it comes to this and we need a different dimension up top. 

To to go Old Trafford today and play 4-4-2 I think was ambitious and I would have liked them start with 4-5-1 - but having said that it worked last season. 

Onwards and upwards! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

Great goal, look great in a team playing poor, and would see him in over Albrighton, the only downside he is still defensively naive, and we are not the best defensively at present 

Well we were completely shit defensively without him in the team in the first half at OT and at Anfield so he couldn't make us any worse in that respect.

18 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

drop mahrez again, some people don't deserve to live. 

dropping albrighton would be harsh too after brugge and burnley. you'd think after last year we'd give players more than 45 mins of being "below par" (considering the par for people like mahrez is PFA player of the fu cking year) before banishing them to the youth team for eternity. 

He should be dropped sorry... hazard also was Pfa player but that doesn't make you invisible . Management is about getting the best out the players and Mahrez isn't even 10% what is was last season. Claudio being a great manager will not that and put him back on track. With gray Mahrez has a serious talent chipping at his heels, and from this start a much hungrier player too

Edited by foxes_rule1978

2 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

He should be dropped sorry... hazard also was Pfa player but that doesn't make you invisible . Management is about getting the best out the players and Mahrez isn't even 10% what is was last season 

he was amazing literally last week. scored twice and was superb literally 4 days before that. has one sub par 45 minutes away to one of the most expensive teams ever assembled where we got ripped apart and he's dropped? just ridiculous to suggest. 

what at do people think we will get from dropping the best footballer to have ever worn our shirt because he didn't bag a hat trick in ten minutes at old trafford? he's our best player by miles (especially in his position). he's always had games here and there when he's been a bit rubbish. goes with his style of play. if anyone on here was in charge we'd have dropped him after bournemouth away 3 games into last season and sold him before the end of that transfer window and probably got relegated last year. 

wouldve thought this shit would come from fans like arsenal or liverpool but you'd think as leicester fans we'd appreciate quite how lucky we are, not want to bin off any player who plays a slightly poor ten minutes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chicagofox said:

Well we were completely shit defensively without him in the team in the first half at OT and at Anfield so he couldn't make us any worse in that respect.

Your probably right, Albrighton lack of quality to the strikers has frustrated me this season, and he concede's possesion far to cheaply.

Cant blame Albrighton alone, but something needs to change, and gray probably offers more going forward, but we have still got to get musa in somewhere, when he's adapted.

I'm not sure Mahrez needs a rocket. He had a poor first few games but we've seen glimpses from him lately, and other players need to make more of the attention he receives from defenders. Today the supply was dreadful. There were no quality whipped crosses for Slimani, no precise over-the-top balls for Vardy to chase (even though he didn't look especially like he was in the mood to chase anything).

Drinkwater played his part in that - he might have been the pick of the midfielders but instead of helping us to build play he constantly went for the killer ball, which is useful once every so often but seems to have become our plan A of late. We also seemed totally incapable of working the ball out of the left flank - those triangles which Fuchs, Albrighton and Drinkwater usually create to run rings round opponents simply weren't working. 

I'm not sure that over-dependence on the direct supply to Vardy / Slimani favours Mahrez, he just ends up being by-passed. Maybe the 4-5-1 will be a way of involving Riyad more, and allowing us to play him alongside Gray, rather than opposed to.

Considering how ineffective Albrighton was going forward and how dreadful and out-of-shape Simpson has been, is there any chance we'll give Albrighton another go in a defensive role, albeit in the 4-5-1 rather than the 5-3-2?

Edited by inckley fox

"Drop Albrighton"
We always play better when he is in the side. Ever since the great escape. How do people forget this.

"Drop Mahrez"
On his day he can do anything.

I'd rather drop Vardy or Slimani, and play a fluid 3, though with Albrighton not ever central. Though really I'd just stick with Gray/Musa as options from the bench.

• Like 1

I thought Albrighton was very poor today and obviously Gray was our best player. I don't think he should start Tuesday as I want to see a response from Albrighton but would consider starting him in the next Premier League match. He needs to prove he can produce a 90minute performance, as I had high hopes for him against Hull and he disappointed. Incredibly talented though and very excited to see him progess with us. 

Edited by STUHILL