Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Howard99

If you could sign any player from the premier league who would it be?

It wouldnt be a new thread with Kante getting a mention somewhere.

John Stones for me.

I know he isnt the finished article but he is a classy defender and I like the way he carries the ball out from the back. We seem to be a bit panicky at the back from GK to defenders when it comes with the ball to feet. If they are under any pressure we love a bit of hoofball but we cant keep giving the ball away and wonder why we are knackered after spending 70% of the game running after it to get it back.

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

You'd replace the manager that just won the premier league with Leicester City with one that couldn't do it with Liverpool?

I didn't actually say that - that's just you putting A with an assumptive B and drawing conclusions.

What's impressing me about Klopp is that, as a coach, he seems to be getting the best out of people and in a way that's starting to make the team look exciting again.

I'm not sure Ranieri's got the best out of anyone so far this season and for all our spending I'd say that, thus far, we're looking far less of a team than we did last season.

Newspapers have referred today to our problem in coping with the latest clamp down on blatant fouling in the box and suggesting that our own defenders a paying a price for that. Did we buy alternative defenders? One. Singular. Big mistake on it's own but even more so considering how important it is to have alternatives and at least one attack-capable right back.

But that's just the start. Thus far we seem to have recruited badly with Slimani the only one showing signs of being an asset. Amartey's been a perhaps unexpected plus but not in the manner we're trying to play him which is heaping far too much responsibility on him.

So, as you brought up the subject of Ranieri, last season's achievements are history and I'd much appreciate it if our manager, players and fans would recognise that we're in a new season now with new challenges which, at the moment, we're failing to meet because our entire focus seems to be on the Champions League.

Away from Champions League it's like most of the club's gone part-time with only Drinkwater turning up for every game. If that satisfies you, that's your choice but don't expect it to satisfy me because it doesn't.           

Management is relatively easy when you're winning and when everyone is 100% motivated and focused. Now's the time Ranieri needs to earn his much-improved wages and he's not the only one.     .   

1 hour ago, Thracian said:

I didn't actually say that - that's just you putting A with an assumptive B and drawing conclusions.

What's impressing me about Klopp is that, as a coach, he seems to be getting the best out of people and in a way that's starting to make the team look exciting again.

I'm not sure Ranieri's got the best out of anyone so far this season and for all our spending I'd say that, thus far, we're looking far less of a team than we did last season.

Newspapers have referred today to our problem in coping with the latest clamp down on blatant fouling in the box and suggesting that our own defenders a paying a price for that. Did we buy alternative defenders? One. Singular. Big mistake on it's own but even more so considering how important it is to have alternatives and at least one attack-capable right back.

But that's just the start. Thus far we seem to have recruited badly with Slimani the only one showing signs of being an asset. Amartey's been a perhaps unexpected plus but not in the manner we're trying to play him which is heaping far too much responsibility on him.

So, as you brought up the subject of Ranieri, last season's achievements are history and I'd much appreciate it if our manager, players and fans would recognise that we're in a new season now with new challenges which, at the moment, we're failing to meet because our entire focus seems to be on the Champions League.

Away from Champions League it's like most of the club's gone part-time with only Drinkwater turning up for every game. If that satisfies you, that's your choice but don't expect it to satisfy me because it doesn't.           

Management is relatively easy when you're winning and when everyone is 100% motivated and focused. Now's the time Ranieri needs to earn his much-improved wages and he's not the only one.     .   

Yeah you're probably right. Claudio just can't be arsed anymore now that we've won the league.

Have a word with yourself. We've had a couple of hard results from two of the hardest fixtures in the calendar, and that has been punctuated by some promising signs.

Also, while we're at it, the problem with shutting down any mention of last season because "it's history now" is that you're ruling out the nearest, and only comparison we can make. I'm not saying we're going to win the league again but thus far the only thing Ranieri has done is win us a bloody Premier League. Have some faith.

4 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Yeah you're probably right. Claudio just can't be arsed anymore now that we've won the league.

Have a word with yourself. We've had a couple of hard results from two of the hardest fixtures in the calendar, and that has been punctuated by some promising signs.

Also, while we're at it, the problem with shutting down any mention of last season because "it's history now" is that you're ruling out the nearest, and only comparison we can make. I'm not saying we're going to win the league again but thus far the only thing Ranieri has done is win us a bloody Premier League. Have some faith.

You seem to have trouble counting. So far we've lost to Hull, Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester United and we're not out of September yet. Worse than that we've had more injuries than i remember for all last season, our team is shipping goals like there's a prize for it and that after doing just the same in pre-season. 

The change in us is alarming.

Last season Ranieri focused solely on the next game - and emphasised the point with interest. Now are heads are all over the place thinking of this, that and the other instead of the match in hand and making sure we're in the proper frame of mind to cope with it.

Collectively we're disjointed. We've not signed the players needed to rectify specific weaknesses. We should never have sold Kante without having a proven replacement but his absence is only emphasised by the missing links elsewhere and the feeling that we've more holes than a moth-eaten sock and liable to be ripped apart by anyone with sharp teeth.

My only "faith" is in evidence. And the evidence so far is that we're in a right mess with no easy answers to the problems apart from going back to the basics that helped make us successful.

8 minutes ago, Thracian said:

You seem to have trouble counting. So far we've lost to Hull, Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester United and we're not out of September yet. Worse than that we've had more injuries than i remember for all last season, our team is shipping goals like there's a prize for it and that after doing just the same in pre-season. 

The change in us is alarming.

Last season Ranieri focused solely on the next game - and emphasised the point with interest. Now are heads are all over the place thinking of this, that and the other instead of the match in hand and making sure we're in the proper frame of mind to cope with it.

Collectively we're disjointed. We've not signed the players needed to rectify specific weaknesses. We should never have sold Kante without having a proven replacement but his absence is only emphasised by the missing links elsewhere and the feeling that we've more holes than a moth-eaten sock and liable to be ripped apart by anyone with sharp teeth.

My only "faith" is in evidence. And the evidence so far is that we're in a right mess with no easy answers to the problems apart from going back to the basics that helped make us successful.

I personally (rightly or wrongly) put Hull down to poor preparation which was out of our hands (International cup et. al.) 

As for Chelsea, you can't really account for a goal like Azpilicueta's, and what happened afterwards was largely influenced by the sending off. The only two results that have really concerned me have been Liverpool and Man U. It is worrying that we have shipped as many as we have, but I believe there is as much to be said about the performance of the opposition as our own shortcomings. 

The limited evidence we have is difficult to read much into, so for me all we can do is get behind the lads and expect that with easier fixtures and hard work on the training ground, we will see an improvement. We should be nowhere near the panic button right now.

55 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

I personally (rightly or wrongly) put Hull down to poor preparation which was out of our hands (International cup et. al.) 

As for Chelsea, you can't really account for a goal like Azpilicueta's, and what happened afterwards was largely influenced by the sending off. The only two results that have really concerned me have been Liverpool and Man U. It is worrying that we have shipped as many as we have, but I believe there is as much to be said about the performance of the opposition as our own shortcomings. 

The limited evidence we have is difficult to read much into, so for me all we can do is get behind the lads and expect that with easier fixtures and hard work on the training ground, we will see an improvement. We should be nowhere near the panic button right now.

Panic doesn't come into it. We either improve or the season becomes a washout.

Me. I'm as happy playing golf as watching us play less than committed football.  

On 25/09/2016 at 15:14, GingerrrFox said:

Our issue isn't getting the **** in the net, it's keeping it tight our end and having a defensively sound midfielder to help Drinkwater. Aguero would be wasted in our side. 

" AGUERO WOULD BE WASTED IN OUR SIDE" - LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL OH lol INDEED.

On 25 September 2016 at 12:25, MC Prussian said:

The Yaya Touré of five years ago, yes.

But whether we would've been able to afford him, is another question.

Today's edition of YT is just a shadow of his former self.

He's a complete twat so it would be a recipe for disharmony in the dressing room at whatever stage of career - not for me.

6 hours ago, crazyleicester said:

It wouldnt be a new thread with Kante getting a mention somewhere.

John Stones for me.

I know he isnt the finished article but he is a classy defender and I like the way he carries the ball out from the back. We seem to be a bit panicky at the back from GK to defenders when it comes with the ball to feet. If they are under any pressure we love a bit of hoofball but we cant keep giving the ball away and wonder why we are knackered after spending 70% of the game running after it to get it back.

Ffs. 

The question is can he defend properly over a season, without giving goals away from over playing? 

Answer:  no he cannot on all known evidence 

3 hours ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Ffs. 

The question is can he defend properly over a season, without giving goals away from over playing? 

Answer:  no he cannot on all known evidence 

This isnt 1967 fella.

Players cant tackle forcefully anymore, they cant be physical and they cant even put hands on the opposition in the box and a defenders role has changed a lot these days. They cant give a sneaky punch in the ribs or step on some toes because one of the 50 cameras will pick it up and they would get retrospective action taken against them. These days they need to read the game, be useful in both boxes and be useful with the ball to feet in addition to having great positioning and heading, tackling, marking within the new laws of the game. They also need to have speed to deal with these fast strikers or else they are forced to defend deep, create a chasm between defence and midfield and you have a lack of options.

IMO the two or three fundamental differences for us and why we are not performing this season compared to last is linked to all the above.

(1) I used to love watching Morgan and Huth strangle the oppo in the box and sling them all over the place like a ragdoll, that now isnt allowed

(2) We are now defending deeper which means when we get it we play longer passes than last season. Ideally we would have players who are good with the ball at their feet and IMO only Fuchs is competent in that department Also if we can carry the ball out centrally we can push up quicker and a ball playing centre back gives that option for us. Wes does sometimes try to run with the ball but Stones is really good at this. 

(3) Pace. Stones has decent pace and we can then push up a bit more and not defend so deep.

I said something about Amartey and about playing with fear and sometimes when I read about English players like Barkley at Everton, Stones at City and even yesteryear players like Joe Cole, we always try to make them a shed load more disciplined and they wouldnt take chances out of fear of messing up. Yeah Stones may make they odd mistake but he isnt David Luiz. Stones can read the game, his positioning is excellent and this season it looks like he could be the real deal. He IMO will be one of the best defenders in this new footballing world where there is a real dearth of quality centre backs. 

leicester-city-trophy-0905[1].jpg

This lot with the confidence that they had last year with a few add ons, perhaps from Ghana, French Men, Algerian and throw in a Polish Guy

And if you asked me how they could get better..........................In Claudio I Trust and that will continue until he tells me not to

Archived