Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Next up at Fortress KP.. Southampton.. Thoughts?

really tough game especially after playing in Europe I just hope the players feel they have enough time to recharge their batteries. we really need to take our European form into the premier league and show people what we are capable of, we are defending champions after all. get the ball out to the wingers who can cross for slimani who is proving to be one of the best headers of the ball at the moment.we have so much pace in the team now so we need to be clever when to use this so as to stop the players getting tired.i just hope morgan and huth are now up to date with the grappling rules and we cannot have a repeat of the man utd game where we were giving them free headers time after time

Southampton are playing away in Israel on Thursday, against a team that beat Inter, they have made a good start in beating Prague so will not take this game lightly.

They had a slow start, but seem to be coming into form now, and managed the impossible by playing on a Thursday and a Sunday and winning both games...

Do we rotate? No we if we are going to keep players fit we do that at Chelsea away, formation change and player rotation try something new, if we lose to Chelsea away it doesn't matter as much as losing at home to Southampton and it might just be the perfect place to try plan B.

Do we tinker? maybe, it depends if it is going to be Austin up front, in which case Wes and Huth will do fine, or Long, in which case we may need a bit more pace back there.

If we want to start Gray, it has to be for Mahrez, likewise Musa for Vardy, we keep our shape and style but show faith in the fringe players by playing them because they are good enough, not just to keep the first team fresh.

8 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

really tough game especially after playing in Europe I just hope the players feel they have enough time to recharge their batteries. we really need to take our European form into the premier league and show people what we are capable of, we are defending champions after all. get the ball out to the wingers who can cross for slimani who is proving to be one of the best headers of the ball at the moment.we have so much pace in the team now so we need to be clever when to use this so as to stop the players getting tired.i just hope morgan and huth are now up to date with the grappling rules and we cannot have a repeat of the man utd game where we were giving them free headers time after time

Not just the crosses into Slim but also his hold up play bringing Vardy and Mahrez into the game is getting better and better.  I'd like to see him in some positions to shoot with his feet.

Soton have an even shorter turnaround and a flight back from Israel.  They have Redmond, Austin and Long that can cause us trouble as well as Tadic.  I would like to see Gray have a start tomorrow as a lot of Albrightons crosses failed to beat the first man where as Gray will attack, and if he's been learning, slot through balls to run onto.  Saying that Albrightons cross field pass to Mahrez for the goal was perfect and he offers greater defensive cover so what do I know.

Huth and Morgan might be up to speed with the grappling but those two were pushing players over a lot yesterday, they will be punished in the Prem if they keep that up.

I know we need our big men up for corners and set pieces but almost every one yesterday was blown up by the ref with those two committing fouls.  They need to stop whatever they are doing, be more clever with it or try a different routine as it was a waste of energy them running up the pitch and back.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37469067

Interesting analysis piece on Southampton and how their full backs ripped West Ham to shreds on Sunday.

This means 2 things, pressure on the flanks, if, as some are suggesting, we play Gray instead of Albrighton that will leave Fuchs exposed, as well as Simpson/Hernandez.

Last season's success was built around Albrighton and Fuchs controlling the left flank and Simpson sitting deep and narrow with Kante covering the gap between Mahrez and Simpson as Riyad pushed on. If Southampton are going to target the flanks then we will need to employ a similar tactic with Amartey covering that gap. Likewise if we replace Albrighton it needs to be with someone who can control the left with Fuchs, maybe Schlupp, but not Gray.

The other thing it means is that with Mahrez staying forwards he can and Vardy can exploit the space in behind the full backs and get Mahrez 1 on 1 with the centre back and he will cause problems. May even be a Shinji game this one, Van Dyke and Fonte are very good in the air, but can be got at on the floor, save Slimani for an impact sub role.

I forgot Southampton are participating in the Europa League, still it should be a tough game, a likable club who are playing well at the minute. They have good players in an attacking sense but contending with Fonte & Van Dijk will be the real problem again, they both scored against us last season, with our set piece worries I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them scores on Sunday.

Schmeichel 

Simpson - Morgan - Huth - Fuchs 

Mahrez - Amartey - Drinkwater - Gray

Slimani - Musa

Subs - Zieler, Hernandez, Mendy, King, Albrighton, Okazaki, Vardy

Simpson back in for Hernandez, Hernandez did well last night but I can see him being more effective in Champions League games. Gray deserves a start in my opinion, Albrighton still continues to be hit & miss this season, I'd drop him for this game. Probably won't happen but I'd like to see Musa get a run out, Vardy has been a little off the last two games, I'd like to see how well Slimani & Musa works.

A bit negative but I'd be happy with a draw here, 2-2.

12 minutes ago, Captain... said:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37469067

Interesting analysis piece on Southampton and how their full backs ripped West Ham to shreds on Sunday.

This means 2 things, pressure on the flanks, if, as some are suggesting, we play Gray instead of Albrighton that will leave Fuchs exposed, as well as Simpson/Hernandez.

Last season's success was built around Albrighton and Fuchs controlling the left flank and Simpson sitting deep and narrow with Kante covering the gap between Mahrez and Simpson as Riyad pushed on. If Southampton are going to target the flanks then we will need to employ a similar tactic with Amartey covering that gap. Likewise if we replace Albrighton it needs to be with someone who can control the left with Fuchs, maybe Schlupp, but not Gray.

The other thing it means is that with Mahrez staying forwards he can and Vardy can exploit the space in behind the full backs and get Mahrez 1 on 1 with the centre back and he will cause problems. May even be a Shinji game this one, Van Dyke and Fonte are very good in the air, but can be got at on the floor, save Slimani for an impact sub role.

You're on the right track. The problem we have at present is we're unbalanced for the reasons you say. Albrighton and Fuchs works well on the left but we've very little attacking treat.

On the right side we have Simpson and Mahrez but to much space in between. What I'd like to see is Albrighton fill that space where he can support both Simpson and Mahrez.

He could fill the wing space when Mahrez comes inside and cross quality Balls as he'd be on his right side.

So then on the left we bring in Schlupp to play in front of Fuchs where he could raid down the left wing also.He played that role before so it shouldn't take him too long to get back up to match fitness.

This I feel would make us more solid defensively and offer more support when going forward. We could even bring in Gray in front of Schlupp in some games.

With up to three players watching Mahrez we should be able to take advantage of the space on the left. 

11 hours ago, adejo92 said:

Southampton are middle quality and its beating teams like these that will give us a good indication to where we will finish.

I 'liked' your comment primarily for this. The matches against these sides are important, they are the ones to win if we want a top 10 finish. 

The 'good thing' about being tonked at the big clubs (if it is a good thing) is that it's the same number of points lost be it 1-0 or 4-0. It's embarrassing sure but you don't expect to win away there anyway. You want to win against everyone and everywhere (like last season) of course but these midtable battles are 6 pointers (to use the cliche).... so long as you don't go f-ing up elsewhere. Actually, scrap that... you want to win every game!! ;)

Hoping for victory, would settle for a draw. It's going to be difficult, but with our record at the KP I would expect that we'll be up for the match and prepared to slow down their pace on the wings. I think we get a Vardy goal this weekend, and I would not be shocked to see Okazaki make an appearance.

We'll almost certainly be using all of our substitutions.

2-1 LCFC, with an early second half Southampton goal to keep us clenching. 

5 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Glad someone reminded me that Southampton have a Europa League match. I wonder whether they'll play their full first team for that or might rest one or two?

A few of ours looked shattered by the end last night: Vardy, Albrighton, Fuchs & Morgan.

I'm sure Wes will be alright for 90 mins, but I might be tempted to rest 1 or 2 of the others, or at least sub them off after an hour or so....

Musa for Vardy, Chilwell for Fuchs and/or Schlupp or Gray for Albrighton, after an hour if not from the start?

Southampton are returning to last season's form, unfortunately, so I'd settle for a scrappy win and wouldn't be too disappointed with a draw and a decent performance.

i should hope so but then again they'd just played a football match!

if they were returning to their 9-5 office jobs for the rest of the week i'd have a smidge more sympathy.

Guest CityFan 06

Similar sized club to us Southampton. I like them, they've done well to establish themselves as a real quality side in the division. With the players who have been sold to other clubs they've done ever so well to recruit well once again. Their a good side but hopefully we can take the performance from yesterday into league action starting Sunday. 

Reading this thread has made me realise how many options (good ones!) we now have - talk about strength in depth! I'm confident that Ranieri and Shakespeare will come up with the right combinations but I also think Southampton could be a massive problem: they totally tore up West Ham last week and in Van Dyke and Austin they have two of the PLs form players. 2-2 draw but secretly hoping for a win!

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

So this is a 2.15pm KO on a Sunday but it's not on Sky or BT?

Can't seem to see it in the planner.... Am I missing something (apart from a match ticket).......?

It's been moved because of Southampton's Europa League game. Not for TV. 

probably get slaughtered for this but based on what I've seen I'd drop Mahrez and Vardy for this match. Vardy appears to be waiting for the through ball yet defenders realize this. He's not looking yet as though he has the step on them this year either. Mahrez other than running into constant trouble appears to have forgotton when to pass and how to make a good pass forward. Yes he hit Slimani but most passes are over cooked.

Love both of them, don't get me wrong but both IMO are under performing at the moment and replacements are available..... positions in the starting 11 should not be guaranteed.

Did nobody watch the Hull game?

We are a much better team with Albrighton on the left, he gives us balance, Gray is too attacking and with Southampton's full backs marauding forward we can't leave both of our full backs exposed.

Gray cannot play the Albrighton role, Schlupp can, but not as well, Gray can play the Mahrez role, which means dropping Mahrez, or we need to completely change formation.

I would be happy to see Gray start, but not with a front 4 of Vardy, Slimani, Gray, Mahrez, we will have no protection on the flanks.

16 hours ago, biggs said:

Vardy appears to be waiting for the through ball yet defenders realize this. He's not looking yet as though he has the step on them this year either

A fair observation, everyone knows what Vardy is about and set-up to nullify him and Mahrez, shaking things up is no bad thing. Vardy needs to adapt his game to Slimani, Big Slim is not the same type of player as Little Shin and Vardy needs to come deep and pull wide to create space for himself and his strike partner and provide the link up with the midfield. The problem with Slimani up front with Vardy is it keeps more defenders back if Vardy beats the first one, then whoever is picking up Slimani is there to cover. When we have the ball and are having a spell of possession and pushing the opposition back, that is when Vardy needs to drop a bit pull away a defender and give us an extra option short then we can get the ball wide and into Slimani who is hopefully one on one in the box.

Vardy will notbe given a rest...There is an England game coming  this could be his last chance of getting into the squad.

Sterling the guy I have criticised heavy in the past, has found out and realised himself why he cost 50mil.He rightly

is a going to be in the team. Rashford will be in the squad. Southgate will be playing safe... 

This will be Vardy's last season in the English shake up, he will not be sitting on the bench on Sunday.

Even now he needs 2 frontmen injuries before he carrys the shirt again.

Southampton is going to be another difficult game the are quick and flow so easily.

Their fullback do bomb ahead, but we have WBs who will use the space left behind.

Their CBs are good but somewhat static at times.For me an even contest.

We drop points this forum will really go crazy....

Archived