Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DennisNedry

Revolution Radio (Green Day)

The new album is out October 7th, although I've already downloaded the leak and have listened to it front to back dozens of times already. Will still buy it when it's actually in shops.

There's some brilliant tracks on there if you're into this kind of music.

Buzzing to see them in Manchester next February.

Bang Bang (single):

Kind of music?  Pop music.

Never understood why they were associated with punk, an then later the awful pop punk.

I see them as a pop band.  Maybe a rock band?

I quite like them, they make decent tunes, always have.

I guess is all the phony punk stuff that puts people off.

29 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

The new album is out October 7th, although I've already downloaded the leak and have listened to it front to back dozens of times already. Will still buy it when it's actually in shops.

There's some brilliant tracks on there if you're into this kind of music.

Buzzing to see them in Manchester next February.

got a link to the leak? have already pre ordered this album and got tickets at the o2. so i think im allowed an early sneak peak. whats the album as a whole like?

33 minutes ago, Carter90 said:

got a link to the leak? have already pre ordered this album and got tickets at the o2. so i think im allowed an early sneak peak. whats the album as a whole like?

Sure, I'll PM you. I'm really enjoying it. 5 or 6 tracks really stand out for me. Definitely their best since AI. 

47 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Never understood why they were associated with punk, an then later the awful pop punk.

I'd say 'pop punk', although they're hardly pop really. They've rarely been anywhere near the charts. Absolute dogshit 'singers' like Nicki Minaj get 100x the downloads Green Day do. It's not mainstream to like Green Day.

I'd recommend you give the album a listen Ronnie :thumbup: 

I'm looking forward to it. 

Dookie was the first album I ever bought, been a fan ever since. Seen 'em a load of times, and will go again at the O2 in the new year.

Although I like to largely discount the 'trilogy' albums, because apart from a handful of great songs, a lot of those tracks were doggo.

2 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

They were punk when they started.

16 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

American Idiot went like 10x Platinum everywhere so they've outsold Nicki Minaj quite comfortably. About as mainstream as they come lol

That was 12 years ago mate! They made it into the mainstream with Dookie in 1994, AI in 2004, maybe Good Riddance in 1997 too. 

Anyway, I've never really understood the whole 'they're not punk' arguments. No, they're not punk, they're pop punk. Who cares what they are? They make great music. Either enjoy it or listen to something else. 

Punk is an ethos not a sound.

They were punk kids made DIY EPs and gigged themselves around California. They formed in 1986 and didn't hit the mainstream until 1994.  The difference between them and their punk contemporaries is that they could write a decent tune, even if the subject matter was masturbation and smoking pot.

There are clear punk influences in their early stuff, but they evolved and adapted over time embracing new influences and challenging themselves musically and lyrically, what is more punk? Churning out the same three minute three chord shouty songs for decades regardless of commercial success and fanbase, or taking risks, pushing yourselves and challenging what you have done and what you stand for?

punk-punk-horse-funny-demotivational-pos 

Good music is good music. Genres just create self-imposed barriers of denial to believe that you won't like something without ever giving it a chance.

Green Day are okay. I like Basketcase's spiralling, thrashy, headlong rush, but Black Parade is cloying, exploitative, sentimental drivel of the worst kind.

8 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Good music is good music. Genres just create self-imposed barriers of denial to believe that you won't like something without ever giving it a chance.

Green Day are okay. I like Basketcase's spiralling, thrashy, headlong rush, but Black Parade is cloying, exploitative, sentimental drivel of the worst kind.

Black Parade is My Chemical Romance and absolute tosh.

3 hours ago, Captain... said:

Black Parade is My Chemical Romance and absolute tosh.

Don't pigeonhole me with your genres, man! :angry:

You are, however, quite right of course :blush:

Think I was getting confused with Boulevard of Broken Dream. Though with MCR is concerned there is a similar thing cos I quite like I'm Not Okay, I Promise for similar reasons.

After the mediocre stuff they've churned out relatively recently, 21st century breakdown, uno dos tres, looks like they're returning to the tried & trusted straight forward no concept type album that served theme well in the 90s. The bits I've heard, brilliant return to form. 

I think I've liked every single they've put out even Boulevard (although definitely  the weakest ones they've released), think I'd prefer the singles than the albums.

The reviews for the new album that i've read have been pretty awful.

As for the political stuff, I think its a natural progression, as teens they sing teenage stuff, then get a bit of dosh and cant exactly sing about being poor, so politics is the obvious inspiration.

Archived