Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brigfox

perspective

what do these have in common?

Guardiola and Man City
Wenger and Arsenal
Conte and Chelsea
Mourinho and Man Utd
Pochinetto and Spurs
Klopp and Liverpool
Koeman and Everton
Puel and Southampton
Answer?
None of them , however much they dominate the tv and news headlines, however many column inches the Press allocate them, however brilliantly they play this season, not one of them will surpass the achievement of Ranieri and LCFC in becoming Premier League Champions last season.
OK, one of them might, probably will finish top of the PL... but the fact remains that effectively all of the glamour teams will FAIL this season to  eclipse the Foxes' success of 15-16. 

If Wenger wins it and leaves after the season, he'd be regarded as a true legend and not a 1-season wonder in terms of competing for an annual trophy.

Guardiola's new team seems hit and miss, who knows where they will end up.

Klopp and Liverpool are a great match, 2 big egos but are well respected. Puel will do alright. Everton will probably finish 7/8, need to spend more, though they've got a great scout according to some.

Ranieri having time of his life overall, and his career points that he deserves it and more.

Unless Southampton win it, this season certainly won't be as ridiculous and special as the last one. I don't agree with the 'it wasn't as big an achievement as ours' argument though- whoever wins the league, it's a special achievement, regardless of the size of the club. That's what made last season so amazing though; winning the league is the priority for every big club worldwide, and we won the highest profile league in the world.

I must admit though, I am looking forward to this year's title race- there are 6 teams expecting to challenge for it, and I can't wait to watch 5 of them fail.

13 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Unless Southampton win it, this season certainly won't be as ridiculous and special as the last one. I don't agree with the 'it wasn't as big an achievement as ours' argument though- whoever wins the league, it's a special achievement, regardless of the size of the club. That's what made last season so amazing though; winning the league is the priority for every big club worldwide, and we won the highest profile league in the world.

I must admit though, I am looking forward to this year's title race- there are 6 teams expecting to challenge for it, and I can't wait to watch 5 of them fail.

I am biased to agree with everything you say, because you're Ted Maul.

15 hours ago, brigfox said:

what do these have in common?

Guardiola and Man City
Wenger and Arsenal
Conte and Chelsea
Mourinho and Man Utd
Pochinetto and Spurs
Klopp and Liverpool
Koeman and Everton
Puel and Southampton
Answer?

They are the name of a football club and the manager who currently manages them?

6 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Wenger has already surpassed it by guiding Arsenal a full season unbeaten.

1) You can't surpass something that hasn't happened yet.

2) They were title favourites-going unbeaten was a gilded lily.

3) It's nothing like the same level of achievement.

4) I mean, not even close.

Just now, Oxfordfox83 said:

1) You can't surpass something that hasn't happened yet.

2) They were title favourites-going unbeaten was a gilded lily.

3) It's nothing like the same level of achievement.

4) I mean, not even close.

A full season unbeaten isn't even close lol Give over.

Our achievement was unbelievable but to a guide a side 49 games unbeaten is just as good/or better.

5 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Our achievement was unbelievable but to a guide a side 49 games unbeaten is just as good/or better.

Well, it isn't. It's an excellent achievement, no question, and to go 38 games* unbeaten requires the kind of tedious football we saw at the end of their campaign. God it was dull. But still, what it amounted to was the statistical outlier of losing hardly any games in a season where you're overwhelming top dog. It required focus, and luck, and determination, and they were an outstanding side. They did slightly more than was expected of them. 

We were expected to go down, and we won the league. It was impossible for Spurs to win the league, let alone Everton, let alone Southampton, let alone Stoke, let alone Villa, let alone us. Their achievement is not even close.

*the others really aren't important any more than when we were top on the 'last 38 games' at various stages last year.

23 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Leicester were 5000/1 to win the league

There's no way you would have got 5000/1 on that Arsenal team going unbeaten in a season.

To put that in perspective Stourbridge are 5000/1 to win the FA Cup.

Claudio won the premier league with less money spent and players from championship and non league background as well as some free transfers, it will never be repeated again by the size of club as Leicester. it was pace, passion, commitment and determination as well as a star player like mahrez that won it for us

4 hours ago, Gerard said:

Leicester were 5000/1 to win the league

There's no way you would have got 5000/1 on that Arsenal team going unbeaten in a season.

To put that in perspective Stourbridge are 5000/1 to win the FA Cup.

I don't judge achievements on what odds Bookies give out.

5000/1 shows they know nothing. 

4 hours ago, Viva said:

Having a laugh!

The only "invincible" team prior to Arsenal was Preston in the 1880s. How am I having a laugh? Going through an entire 30+ game season is unbelievable at any level, but especially when you consider it's the top flight and how strong other teams were during that season too. 

It's all opinions at the end of the day but don't say "I'm having a laugh". 

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion. Just like I'm perfectly entitled to say how wrong i think you are. 

If you gave me a free one pound bet and asked me whether I want to put it on Hull to win the Premier League next season, or Man City to go unbeaten both at the same odds I know which one I think is far more likely. 

Arsenal were a much better side than Man City are now also and the league title was far less competitive. At least six clubs can win it now. That was definitely not the case back in those days. 

Also bookies odds are a decent indicator of the percentage chance of winning something. 

1 hour ago, Viva said:

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion. Just like I'm perfectly entitled to say how wrong i think you are. 

If you gave me a free one pound bet and asked me whether I want to put it on Hull to win the Premier League next season, or Man City to go unbeaten both at the same odds I know which one I think is far more likely. 

Arsenal were a much better side than Man City are now also and the league title was far less competitive. At least six clubs can win it now. That was definitely not the case back in those days. 

Also bookies odds are a decent indicator of the percentage chance of winning something. 

Disagree with me all you like but two invincible top flight seasons came 100(+) years apart so you'll not even get odds on it. Closest you'll get is going unbeaten at home all season.

In my lifetime I'd put money on an 'average' side winning the league ahead of a team going unbeaten a full season.... Leeds, Blackburn and ourselves have won the league in the last 25 years - all three clubs aren't traditionally as big as regular winners ie United, Liverpool, Arsenal - while we waited 100+ years for another team to go a full season unbeaten (I know Clough went 40+ games unbeaten at Forest but it was only home games).

Manchester City weren't the financial backed side they are now, I agree, but Manchester United and Liverpool were both strong while Chelsea had just been taken over and spent millions on players... But if you're bringing that into it then consider that United and Chelsea were both very poor last season while Liverpool appointed a new manager and Manchester City announced a new manager in January.... But overall both achievements are during a full 40 game season too so nothing along the lines of "lucky" or strength of other sides even comes into it.

On top of that, the league is more open now. We've won it. Southampton might fancy their chances, Spurs and Everton too (the latter both being big clubs and previous winners anyway). Good, well run clubs. I'll see another club beside "the top four" win it again but I highly doubt I'll see a top flight club go a full season unbeaten again.

Archived