Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest CityFan 06

Africa Cup of Nations 2017

Guest CityFan 06

Although early, I thought I'd start a thread to take a brief look at the Africa Cup of Nations and and how the competition affects our squad. The dates for the tournament are 14th January – 5th February 2017. I've been wondering for a while who actually goes to this tournament and who we will be without. 

So to my reckoning, this is who will be participants from our squad in the Africa Cup of Nations 2017...

Algeria: Mahrez and Slimani

Ghana: Amartey and Schlupp

With those players in mind, what kind of team lineup are we looking at during this period? I feel we might see Gray, Kapustka and Musa feature. Maybe Ulloa could fill in the Slimani role, providing he doesn't move on.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa_Cup_of_Nations)

Not too bad? The PFA player of the year and our most expensive ever signing!

Our two top scorers in the League and Europe!

Add in 2 squad players, then it becomes 4 out of 22 outfield players, over 18% of the squad unavailable. Is any other squad going to lose as many players? Any injuries and suspensions in that period straight after a busy festive period and we will be looking very thin on the ground.

it could be that bad.

It certainly isn’t ideal but would be a lot worse if Musa was gone too (Nigeria not qualifying is a huge surprise!). Vardy and Okazaki are more thank capable of handling striking duties, like they did all of last season, with Ulloa as backup. Obviously Mahrez will be a big miss but Gray, Kapustka, Musa and Albrighton will get opportunities.

Personally I think Amartey has been poor so far but this is the riskiest area as we are so thin in the centre of midfield, hopefully Mendy will be mended by then! Either way centre mid needs to be the focus in January. Oh and Schlupp… no miss at all, at least Ranieri won’t be tempted to start him!

I believe the second round of the champs league is mid Feb so just need to hope Algeria don’t get to the final as we will need Mahrez and Slim fresh for that should we get there.

Slight worry is that both Algeria and Ghana are likely to be in the semi final or final so they'll be away for the whole 3 weeks. 

The fixtures they will miss are :

Chelsea  (h)

Southampton  (a)

FA Cup 4th round 

Burnley  (a)

Man Utd (h)

3 tough games in there unfortunately.

The positive side is that at least Musa isn't going. 

So Gray'll get a look in over Mahrez, enough cover for Simani, enough cover for left wingers now Nigeria didn't qualify and Mendy and King can step in for Amartey,

Even though I'm not sure about Gray defensively, we're setup to allow for less than amazing defensive work, anyhow.

Doesn't look too bad at all.

Guest CityFan 06
2 hours ago, Captain... said:

Not too bad? The PFA player of the year and our most expensive ever signing!

Our two top scorers in the League and Europe!

Add in 2 squad players, then it becomes 4 out of 22 outfield players, over 18% of the squad unavailable. Is any other squad going to lose as many players? Any injuries and suspensions in that period straight after a busy festive period and we will be looking very thin on the ground.

it could be that bad.

Fair enough, when you put it like that. I think we're good enough to cope but like you outlined Mahrez and Slimani are very important for us.

4 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Let's hope Ghana knock Algeria out early.

Early? Don't think it is possible; Algeria has Tunisia Senegal and Zimbabwe in the first stage with a game every 4 days for 2 teams to go throu to the second stage...

And if Shlurp :) plays for Ghana if we play them...well :):)

it also depends on what state these players come back afterwards and they will need handling very carefully by claudio. the players coming in to the team like Musa and Kapustka need to step up and show why we bought them and  not give claudio the opportunity to drop them once the other players come back.

10 hours ago, AlgerianFox said:

Early? Don't think it is possible; Algeria has Tunisia Senegal and Zimbabwe in the first stage with a game every 4 days for 2 teams to go throu to the second stage...

Hopefully we'll cope without them. I want Algeria to win it for Riyad and Slim. Come on Algeria.

10 hours ago, AlgerianFox said:

Algeria vs Tunisia sounds like it could have a good grudge match atmosphere.

Kasper

Simpson

Morgan

Huth

Fuchs

Albrighton

Drinky

King/Mendy

Musa

Okazaki

Vardy

Bench: Zieler, Hernandez, Chilwell, Mendy/King, Gray, Kapi, Ulloa

Cover: Hamer, Benalouane? Elliot Moore? Darnell Johnson? Ndukwu, Muskwe, Uche? 

Oh, and James, but I doubt he'll be fit.

Archived