Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt_Lcfc

Jamie Vardy?

Don't know if there is already a thread. I understand there is a lot of pressure on him to make sure he isn't a "one season wonder" as the pundits say. But these performances aren't good enough. I understand it is the same with a lot of players but still surely we deserve that 100% application. Cannot see how he has gone from being so good and snarling at the defences to not even chasing dead balls down and gambling.

But is it down to the money in his new contract or the pressure that he is under?:revenge:

Defences are generally playing deeper leaving a lot less room for him to do his snarling effectively. It also means there is less room for the likes of Drinkwater to put balls over the top for him to run onto this means he's getting considerably less of the ball than last season.

That's not to say he's entirely blameless but that can be said of most of the team.

We really do need some other 'ways' to play other than the ball over the top.

9 minutes ago, Ozwin said:

Is this potentially the most pointless comparison ever? Half of those stats mean naff all.

if you x4 you get a ruff idea of his season form, if current form is maintained. Id say there are some eyeopening stats there

4 shots on target 10 games in.

13 total shots,

1.3 a game,

4 completed dribbles in 10 games,

most of his stats are on course for achieving 50 percent of what he did last season

He made his £100k a week bed now it's time to lie in it.

I'm sorry but he's made himself an easy target to point a finger at. He's not the only one.

I hoped i'd never had type things like this again after last season, but i'll be more than happy to be proved wrong, he has done a couple of times already so hopefully it'll happen again, hopefully the criticism will spur him on, I think he's the type of person for that to happen.

But he's made it very easy for him to shot at after the summer's antics. Prove your worth!

He's not the only one.

They've all been below par apart from Kasper and Drinkwater.

But we only have ourselves to blame. Too loyal to players, 100k wages and shit transfer recruitment. 

I can only assume that, at present, the kid must be thinking he's made the biggest error of his footballing career by not going to Arsenal.

Imagine being played in at the moment by Sanchez and Ozil and not by Musa, Albrighton or Gray.

As much as I love LCFC, Kante made the right decision.

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

He's not the only one.

They've all been below par apart from Kasper and Drinkwater.

But we only have ourselves to blame. Too loyal to players, 100k wages and shit transfer recruitment. 

And 100 grand a week wages that most on here, I suspect, said was exactly the right thing to do.

I don't think he's not bothered anymore though. He doesn't look NOT bothered, he looks furious that he simply cannot get back to form. He's gone back to the Vardy of the first three quarters of Pearson's Premiership season. I.e. He looks like he couldn't hit a barn door.

12 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

And 100 grand a week wages that most on here, I suspect, said was exactly the right thing to do.

I don't think he's not bothered anymore though. He doesn't look NOT bothered, he looks furious that he simply cannot get back to form. He's gone back to the Vardy of the first three quarters of Pearson's Premiership season. I.e. He looks like he couldn't hit a barn door.

I think you're right here Col. I don't think for one second he's lost the fire, he's just a marked man and as you say he's getting frustrated. The 100k a week thing is more of an issue for fans than it is for him, he's just done what every single player in his position would do - take the money. I think he'd be having the same problems if he was on 40k a week tbh - he's been sussed out, plain and simple. Deny him space in behind and he becomes peripheral, it's a bit of a miracle that teams weren't wise to it much earlier on last season. The difference now is that a 100k a week player can reasonably be expected to adapt his game and reinvent himself to become successful again. Either that or Claudio needs to come up with a new system for drawing teams out from deep to create space in behind. Either way we need it bloody quickly.

He's a simple player with simple attributes, tough still however to defend against. That's true aslong as Drinkwater is free to do his thing and play with a bit of freedom, but he's responsible for carrying our midfield, namely donkey armartey or andy fail. 

Give him service he will score.

But he's lost all his stagger,self belief and confidence. It'll take a few goals to get that back.

Yes hes done some daft things- i hate current players writing autobiographies mis career,never mind films etc...plenty of time for that shit AFTER...but im not jumping on his back just yet...just want him to justify hes worth his £5m a year!

For me a lot of it goes down to making Slimani our leading striker, and asking Vardy to support. Last season you would have Okazaki running the line and down the channels pulling defenders away from the likes of Vardy and Mahrez creating space, Albrighton would also support this type of running down the wing with Fuchs providing an overlap. We now opt to play a tall striker, who doesn't win many headers from long balls, doesn't hold the ball up, isn't blessed with pace and doesn't provide the same movement off the ball but does have a poachers instinct. Yes Vardys problems started before this but taking this role hasn't helped and on the small chance he has had to play alongside Okazaki he has looked far more threatening.

12 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I can only assume that, at present, the kid must be thinking he's made the biggest error of his footballing career by not going to Arsenal.

Imagine being played in at the moment by Sanchez and Ozil and not by Musa, Albrighton or Gray.

As much as I love LCFC, Kante made the right decision.

you mean being played in by the same players that finished above sanchez and ozil last season? great point as usual col, how was vardy to know there would be a collective loss of confidence, does he own a delorean?

I could understand if he was in Akinbiyi form where he was getting 3 or 4 chances a game and missing. He is trying but we haven't adapted our style against the opposition now they have sussed out how to defend against us. It's hardly a surprise that Vardy hasn't scored since he is barely getting chances. That's a team problem not just Vardy. 

It's not Vardy we should be questioning, we should be questioning why we cant evolve and adapt our style to counter the opposition again.

How many times have we gone 4-4-2 and got tonked. The game changes all the time and we need to find alternative ways to play. 

Chelsea is a prime example. They had an up and down start. Conte changed the system now look at them. What is it 5 wins without conceding a goal and Victor Moses looking like a world beater. They haven't changed personnel just adapted their system. We need to do the same. Last season we found a way to play that obviously worked. Now we need to do it again.

Quite frankly i think you are all being a bit too harsh on Vardy. 

If he went to Arsenal he'd be even more exposed than he is now. His touch is terrible. 

Last season was an anomaly goals wise. He's never a 20+ goal a season player at the top level. He should be a 10-12 man who runs himself into the ground chasing down defenders and working the channels 

Quite sad to see all this slating, he's clearly a confidence player that played a big part of last season's success. Forget that he's on £100k, it's not relevant. I couldn't give a flying fk what he's on, it doesn't affect me. He clearly has the ability and will start scoring again. get behind the lad

25 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

I could understand if he was in Akinbiyi form where he was getting 3 or 4 chances a game and missing. He is trying but we haven't adapted our style against the opposition now they have sussed out how to defend against us. It's hardly a surprise that Vardy hasn't scored since he is barely getting chances. That's a team problem not just Vardy. 

It's not Vardy we should be questioning, we should be questioning why we cant evolve and adapt our style to counter the opposition again.

How many times have we gone 4-4-2 and got tonked. The game changes all the time and we need to find alternative ways to play. 

Chelsea is a prime example. They had an up and down start. Conte changed the system now look at them. What is it 5 wins without conceding a goal and Victor Moses looking like a world beater. They haven't changed personnel just adapted their system. We need to do the same. Last season we found a way to play that obviously worked. Now we need to do it again.

Quite frankly i think you are all being a bit too harsh on Vardy. 

I agree with this but with a caveat. 

We we don't have enough players in the side who can play a different way - ie those who have the ability to pass the ball. I said this on a thread the other day re: the Copenhagen game.

The recruitment has been terrible, assuming Kaputska is not up to scratch - why else would be not be playing? 

Drinkwater (who played badly against WBA), Fuchs and King (went missing as it was a physical contest) are the only ones who have ability on the ball to enable them make a pass to the forward players. That's not enough. I exclude Mahrez as generally he chooses to dribble not pass, and generally this season this has not been his greatest area of play.

Drinky all season has been good, but what he is now doing is taking the ball off our defenders in their own half (he knows that they are unable to pass the ball) 30 yds from our own goal. That is counter productive. The result is we are 20yds further back than we should be, plus he's not where he should be - receiving the ball in midfield. A further consequence of that is that there is only one one man in centre midfield, so anyone who receives the ball there is massively outnumbered. If they can get over that issue, the two incumbents that have been used (King or Amartey) refuse to to pass the ball forward or run with it. We are therefore creating next to nothing as a team in 50% of this season's games so blaming Vardy I think is a bit of a red herring. 

That at said I felt he should have scored the the headed chance he had on Sunday. 

The way the team has fallen off a cliff this season is striking - lack of desire throughout the whole team (with the odd exceptions) I believe to be the main culprit, which is unacceptable.

Archived