Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Kingy

1 hour ago, brigfox said:

I just re-watched City and Everton, last home match, last season, played them off the park. Sky man of the match ?  you guessed! Andy-only good enough for League 1- King. 

Great. So since then when has he actually did anything or performed at a consistent level to justify being in the squad? 

I understand he's in the squad purely on the fact we have nobody else to play in midfield but the fact of the matter is that he won't be involved once players are fit. We need to upgrade players like him who haven't progressed their ability for much more stronger and better quality of player. 

I think the problem with King is psychological. I actually think he's better than he thinks he is. He is clearly low on confidence as he seems to always make the easy sideways passes. He need to take more risks, the last 10 mins versus Sunderland he was actually driving the ball forward which is what you need from centre midfielders, take a few more risks Andy and we will love you even more!!

The thing with King is, play him in a team that's doing well and he'll not let you down. He'll compliment the rest of the team and keep things ticking over, however the moment it gets a bit nasty and the pressures on then his limitations are very obvious. That's what you're seeing right now, he's not the sort of player to take the game by the scruff of the neck and get us out of trouble.

1 hour ago, buzzer_b said:

Great. So since then when has he actually did anything or performed at a consistent level to justify being in the squad? 

I understand he's in the squad purely on the fact we have nobody else to play in midfield but the fact of the matter is that he won't be involved once players are fit. We need to upgrade players like him who haven't progressed their ability for much more stronger and better quality of player. 

Not sure if you mean "squad" or "team", but anyhow:

Since the end of last season which players have actually performed at a consistent level to justify being in the squad?  The quality of our play this season has been abysmal for much of the time.  How many of our current first-choice players need upgrading to "stronger and better quality" players?! Well, if you follow the logic through - all of them. Surely we can do better than Kasper? Surely we can do better than DD? etc etc Isn't King just being scapegoated?

he's in the squad purely on the fact we have nobody else to play in midfield but the fact of the matter is that he won't be involved once players are fit.

BTW last season, when all our players were fit (apart from James), King was in the squad and involved. 

1 hour ago, brigfox said:

Not sure if you mean "squad" or "team", but anyhow:

Since the end of last season which players have actually performed at a consistent level to justify being in the squad?  The quality of our play this season has been abysmal for much of the time.  How many of our current first-choice players need upgrading to "stronger and better quality" players?! Well, if you follow the logic through - all of them. Surely we can do better than Kasper? Surely we can do better than DD? etc etc Isn't King just being scapegoated?

he's in the squad purely on the fact we have nobody else to play in midfield but the fact of the matter is that he won't be involved once players are fit.

BTW last season, when all our players were fit (apart from James), King was in the squad and involved. 

With regards to Kasper and Drinkwater the answer to that question would be no. Both have been superb already this season and we know that they perform well at this level at a consistent level. 

To answer your other answer yes I understand he played a part of last season. But then we had in form Vardy and Mahrez and a world class player in Kante running the midfield.

Call me scapegoating King, that's your opinion but my opinion is that he isn't good enough. He should of been replaced years ago imo. To me he's not got any better in years. Disappears in games. Hardly ever does anything worth taking note of and doesn't get his self in goal scoring positions like he did when we he was younger. 

Guest CityFan 06

I think he'd be most effective in a three man midfield, CAM. Others have mentioned it, and I feel we'd see the best of him in an attacking position.

1 minute ago, CityFan 06 said:

I think he'd be most effective in a three man midfield, CAM. Others have mentioned it, and I feel we'd see the best of him in an attacking position.

Maybe your right. To me it seems that he has turned himself into a defensive type midfielder but back in the day he looked like a more attacking player and that's where he used to bag quite a few goals. 

Guest CityFan 06
Just now, buzzer_b said:

Maybe your right. To me it seems that he has turned himself into a defensive type midfielder but back in the day he looked like a more attacking player and that's where he used to bag quite a few goals. 

Yep. I think over the years he's developed the defensive side of his game. During matches he does do a lot of stuff, like Albrighton, which helps the team in a subtle way whether it be helping to set up an attack or assisting in defending. King has shown he's capable of scoring goals from midfield in previous times, and we could do with a player like that in the squad. 

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The thing with King is, play him in a team that's doing well and he'll not let you down. He'll compliment the rest of the team and keep things ticking over, however the moment it gets a bit nasty and the pressures on then his limitations are very obvious. That's what you're seeing right now, he's not the sort of player to take the game by the scruff of the neck and get us out of trouble.

I agree with that. It's a shame though, because he was probably at his best for us in the 2010/11 season when we looked in trouble. Sometimes I just think he needs a bit more self-belief and have a shot when he gets a sight of goal, go back to the match winner he used to be for us.

If you think Andy King is shit, you don't understand football, he is a team player, you put him in a team playing well he will compliment the team and play well but put him in a team playing shit and he will not change that. He is a very intelligent player and marks space and prevents the pass being made, but if the rest of the team isn't doing the same then big gaps appear. He doesn't chase players down and make last ditch sliding tackles.

He picks the ball up moves it on and moves into a better position, but if the rest of the team aren't getting into good forward positions he has to pass backwards, he isn't going to spray the ball 50 yards or thread the eye of a needle, if there is a quick forward pass on, he will make it, but those passes aren't on at the moment.

He is not a flashy showy player, but he contributes in many ways, including goals, but his goals and good play come from teamwork and the team as a whole, and that includes King, are underperforming at the moment.

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

If you think Andy King is shit, you don't understand football, he is a team player, you put him in a team playing well he will compliment the team and play well but put him in a team playing shit and he will not change that. He is a very intelligent player and marks space and prevents the pass being made, but if the rest of the team isn't doing the same then big gaps appear. He doesn't chase players down and make last ditch sliding tackles.

He picks the ball up moves it on and moves into a better position, but if the rest of the team aren't getting into good forward positions he has to pass backwards, he isn't going to spray the ball 50 yards or thread the eye of a needle, if there is a quick forward pass on, he will make it, but those passes aren't on at the moment.

He is not a flashy showy player, but he contributes in many ways, including goals, but his goals and good play come from teamwork and the team as a whole, and that includes King, are underperforming at the moment.

A luxury player then.

7 hours ago, EnderbyFox said:

The state of this post. 

The blokes got nearly 40 caps for his country, has always done a decent job when called upon.

I agree he's not good enough to start games - but he's pretty bloody far from League 1/2 standard. 

Really......

Stop being a small club fan, have some ambition and expectation. Yes we will never be a Barca or Man Utd, but we are a decent sized  club, with ambitious owners in the richest league in the world, currently the Champions of England and in the Champions League and the fact that Players like King, that wouldnt get a game in most Championship clubs, is why we are struggling massively. Even the lower leagues have international players, the fact he has got 40 caps, often as a sub for a small country with a small pool to pick from doesnt hide the fact he is a very poor and a totally ineffective player who shouldnt be a club wanting to move forward.

1 minute ago, the-blue-wildabeast said:

Really......

Stop being a small club fan, have some ambition and expectation. Yes we will never be a Barca or Man Utd, but we are a decent sized  club, with ambitious owners in the richest league in the world, currently the Champions of England and in the Champions League and the fact that Players like King, that wouldnt get a game in most Championship clubs, is why we are struggling massively. Even the lower leagues have international players, the fact he has got 40 caps, often as a sub for a small country with a small pool to pick from doesnt hide the fact he is a very poor and a totally ineffective player who shouldnt be a club wanting to move forward.

You give yourself the answer to your own question: We are a decent-sized club, but the gap to the big ones is too big and there's plenty of teams in between who are still bigger than us and/or more consistent on the domestic or international level. We'd have to establish ourselves first in the Premier League as a force to be reckoned with over a prolonged period of time, not be known as a one-hit wonder (which we are about to become).

Ambition gets you nowhere without application. And it pains to say it, but we've got to stop living off the "Champions of England" tag, because the longer this abysmal run in the league goes on, the more laughable the motto becomes.

The "international players in lower leagues" that you mention predominantly play for countries with little to no impact on the world stage and are thus negligible.

King isn't poor, he just isn't starting material and particularly not in the role he's had to fill out so far under Ranieri.

Besides, the "small country with a small pool" made it rather far in this summer's EURO tournament. Because they played the Leicester Way©.

6 hours ago, Jimmy said:

King's biggest asset is his ability to get forward and score, we are asking him to play a role in his biggest weakness, get him in a 3 man midfield and he would get around 10 goals a season from midfield

Even meant Ozil doesn't get 10 goals in the league a season. Not a chance King will.

Football has lost its soul when a man like Andy King is berated and hounded 

The Blue of City grows sky blue by the day :( 

its enought to cancle your season ticket and go watch a non-league team 

sad and disturbing in so many ways 

:( 

@strokes you were right ! I couldn't last 

7 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

I agree with that. It's a shame though, because he was probably at his best for us in the 2010/11 season when we looked in trouble. Sometimes I just think he needs a bit more self-belief and have a shot when he gets a sight of goal, go back to the match winner he used to be for us.

And the biggest difference between then and now (besides the league we're in)? Then he had Yuki Abe (ball-winner) and Wellens (playmaker) alongside him so was free to get forward and support the strikers. Even in his early days it was never a 4-4-2, Oakley out wide essentially made it three in CM with how narrow he sat. Given the freedom to patrol, to mark the space and to push forward, King is a pretty good player, limited but lower end of the top flight. Play him as the main midfielder and expect him to carry his partners and you're setting him up to fail.

1 hour ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

Even meant Ozil doesn't get 10 goals in the league a season. Not a chance King will.

Entirely different types of player, so that's about as relevant as saying lampard regularly hit double figures so king should as well.

7 hours ago, The Doctor said:

And the biggest difference between then and now (besides the league we're in)? Then he had Yuki Abe (ball-winner) and Wellens (playmaker) alongside him so was free to get forward and support the strikers. Even in his early days it was never a 4-4-2, Oakley out wide essentially made it three in CM with how narrow he sat. Given the freedom to patrol, to mark the space and to push forward, King is a pretty good player, limited but lower end of the top flight. Play him as the main midfielder and expect him to carry his partners and you're setting him up to fail.

100%. 4-4-2 is the main problem this season.

18 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

What's the formation  where you carry a player who doesn't challenge for the ball... gets muscled off the ball. .... looks for a pass when in front of goal... and spends the game spectating?   If we can find it then kingy will be an asset

4-5-2

Archived