Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Man City Post Match Thread 4 - 2

Right! I'm going for the Saddo of the Day award by quoting myself from the Pre-Match thread....

Admittedly, I should have made it clear that I meant a hat-trick by Vardy and one by Andy King, otherwise not a bad prediction. :thumbup:

Posted 5 hours ago · Report post

I'm feeling strangely bullish about today's match.

"Ee-yi, Ee-yi, Ee-yi- Oh! Up the Premier League we go!

When we avoid relegation, this is what we sing,

5-2 Leicester, 5-2 Leicester, hat-trick Andy King!"

Ignoring this irrational bullishness....a performance with passion, commitment and a bit of tactical nous will do me today.

Performance matters a lot more than result - though a point or three would be welcome.

Happy days are here again. Vardy's timely return to form was the key to everything. He is the team's talisman (whose house did everyone gather at for Chelsea v Spurs?), and when he leads, the others follow.

How brilliant was his finish for the hat-trick goal?! The first two were pretty useful but that one was sublime, real eye-of-the-needle stuff.

And what about Mahrez's assist for 3-0? With his 'wrong' foot too. World class.

We needed to restore the hunger and desire from last season and everyone did that tonight. But it was our top two attacking players from last season who upped their performance level (at long last) and made the difference, reminding us all of how and why we became Premier League champions.

Long may it continue.

Now for the first away win...

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

In the boardroom 3 months ago: "So, Craudio, you fink we stay in Plemier Reague and do OK in Champion Reague because the Champion Reague is more money for us. Ret's see how far we go in Champion Reague as rong ae we ONLY JUST stay in Plemier Reague, maybe salifice Plemier Reague for Champion Reague money"

Claudio: "Yesa I do my best, Mr Thai businessman, you da boss. I give you my word cos I'm an honesta man

Embarrassing.

We really need a negative rep button.

Just to tamper expectations going forward. Guardiola plays this strange press game where often times the opposition diamond 3 ends up man marked 3v3 on the counter. This strategy was extremely amateurish versus us given that we were always going to come out with intent. Ranieri did nothing different tactically, personally im kind of amazed at Guardiola's tactics in this game. 

You talk about freak results well here's one today! Good defensive display from us today but the same couldn't be said for the Man City defence which cost them dearly! Once again Stones was one main causes of one main cock ups as he his always. Wow! £50 million eh ;). Along with this a dreadful goalkeeper who I don't think pulled off a single save all night, apart from picking the ball out of the net four times, he made Zieler look good! Up front they wasted a lot of chances but luckily both Morgan and Huth dealt with most things perfectly. Simpson had a meh game! Vardy without doubt had his best performance of the season he was totally up for this one right from the whistle, like the good old days. Andy King had a great day too! 

Some people reckon the Spanish league is better than ours, though over the last two years from what I've seen of the top flight I'm not sure that's true, ours is less predictable and exciting.

I've absolutely no idea where that came from but it shows that spirit, belief, effort and discipline can get you a long way. Incredible start, some superbly taken goals, one touch football, movement around the pitch- we looked a million miles from the team that had played in the last month.

It doesn't mean everything is perfect, we still have plenty of work to do, but so much encouragement from that. Well done to all, especially the much maligned players such as Vardy, Mahrez, King and Amartey.

Up to our fourth goal, a classic Leicester City performance under Ranieri, reminiscent of last season.

Deadly, alert, precise and a joy to watch. You only need that much of possession on the ball - if the opposition can't score, shame on them.

Coupled with some highly comical defending from Stones and funny moments provided by Bravo, it made for an entertaining evening.

Fuchs was immense as left-back - only the foul that led to Kolarov's free-kick was a bit of a facepalm moment.

Mahrez for once didn't shower us with pointless moves, he was there when needed, dropped the fancy skills and proved to be highly effective.

Slimani ran for at least two players at once and I'm feel sorry for him that he couldn't add to our tally - he would've deserved a goal for all the effort he put in.

I'm very glad for Vardy and his very first hat-trick in a Leicester shirt. Hopefully, this will reignite his scoring prowess.

King and Amartey made their recent below-average games forgotten, as both were ever-present in the middle and covered long distances, fought with physical presence and what a strike from King to make it 2-0!

Also great to have James back in the first team after such a long time on the sidelines.

Although I have to say on a better day, this game would've probably ended 4-2 to Manchester City and you could see how much they missed Agüero up front and Fernandinho in the middle. Guardiola just ain't a friend of Iheanacho - when he took him off, they played without a proper striker in a 4-6-0 for a while. Like Spain in 2010. lol

The two late consolation goals for Manchester City do slightly hurt and could've been prevented if it hadn't been for ten minutes of sloppiness and tired legs syndrome.

Then again, you just have to laugh at John Stones and the what he cost the guests. £50m is an insult to all.

But I won't complain too much here. In the end, the win is deserved and I would like the team build on it and mount an attempt to climb further up the table. We need consistency and results to distance ourselves from the relegation zone. The sooner we get to 40 points in the league, the better.

Brilliant unexpected performance. It was everything we had been craving for weeks!

Like many others I was in disbelief at the starting line-up given their latest hapless performance against Sunderland. I was even more in disbelief after 5 minutes!

So, so happy for Vardy and King, but you could see what this meant to Ranieri. I have rarely seen him that animated. Boy was he relieved to see Vardy score again.

Loved how the entire team mobbed King after his goal. He played a blinder today and together with Amartey played a major part in forcing Man City's play out wide where we wanted them.

I could single out almost every player out today. It really is amazing what a shot of confidence can do to the team. The early goals were critical and gave everyone a lift which set the tone for the rest of the game.

As the second half wore on, I was pretty sure Man City would score after 80 mins so I was very relieved the game was sewn up by then. Not too fussed they reduced the arrears in those circumstances, but I actually felt the extremely welcome introduction of James helped solidify our leaking defense. So pleased he got the reception he did and I wish they'd shown a clip of it on MotD.

Drinkwater, Mendy and James all available for our next game with King and Amartey having been excellent today. Who would have thunk that Ranieri would be facing POSITIVE selection problems next week? Football really is strange...

I think its worth pointing out what was said by Ranieri after the game, that has been mentionned in the other threads.

Ranieri WANTED to change the formation away from 442, and consulted the players in a team meeting. The players said they believed in the 442 system and wanted to continue playing that style.

That says to me 2 things we often talk about on this forum we can absolutely put to bed:

1) Claudio Ranieri is not tactically rigid or naive. He has recognised, probably long ago that there have been problems with the way we have approached games, but has consulted the players. The onus is on them now. They have said in the meeting they believe in 442, and that THEY are the ones to make it work. And we have seen in games like today, they CAN make it work without Kante.

This is encouraging considering Drinkwater is coming back, Mendy is available as an option, Ndidi could come in.

2) There is no friction between staff and players. No "losing of the dressing room". Quite the opposite in fact. Ranieri is a guiding figure amongst them, and it shows players and staff are working together COLLECTIVELY to achieve with Leicester. The players recognise its a two way deal here.

Well what a miserable wet evening that was walking to the ground with doom and gloom in the air and then bang!  3-0 in 20 odd minutes!  Football is full of surprises, especially if you support Leicester City :D

What a joy to watch (apart from the last 10 minutes).  Every player busting a gut just like last season and some brilliant direct football - we found our mojo again, let's hope we keep it!

Before today's game on BT sport they showed a few examples of how Mahrez this season was delaying passes to Vardy and taking extra needless touches even though Vardy was still making the exact same runs as he was last season. 

So it was good to see Mahrez playing Vardy in first time and looking to offload the ball quickly. 

At 3-0 up, when we nearly made it 4-0 within 20 minutes, it reminded me of the game against Derby in 1998. 

Both equally unexpected and totally astonishing.

I saw the team sheet and thought, (along with many, not everybody but many) there is NO way are we winning this. Even without Aguero and Fernandinho I could not see Man City losing.

Yeah, as always Leicester prove I'm only a fan and know nothing about football.

What I do know about Leicester is, that is how we can play and the past 5 or 6 Prem games we haven't. That's enough to justify my total apprehension of the game.

Every player rolled back and rebooted to the levels of last season. The new players Amartey and Slimani matched the effort and slotted in excellently. 

Vardy's hat-trick, Slimani's assists, the Defence moving the ball out, Amartey and Kings' confidence and that touch from Mahrez, amazing. 

Overall a fantastic team performance.

I totally agree with the comments Ranieri made and I was humbled in his admission that he wanted to make changes, but the players stood resolute and wanted to repay his faith in 4-4-2.

For now, my thoughts on changing away from 4-4-2 is behind glass and will only be brought out in an emergency.

Fair play to Ranieri for managing the team and bringing everybody back from the void. 

Still need to think about a few rotations to preserve performance levels, but how everybody played last night and with Mendy and James back, and Ndidi in the pipeline, the positivity is back within the team.

That performance sets us up for the rest of the season.

Archived