Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
danielpholt

The NHL Thread

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who's gonna win the cup?

Not totally sure how many hockey fans we have on here, but i thought it would be worth a thread of its own (sorry if its already got one). Who's your team? Favourite player? Least favourite team? etc etc.

I myself am i Caps fan. I guess you could say i got very lucky in that i knew nothing about Hockey until i picked up NHL06, decided to play with the Washington Capitals and loved it. A few years later (07/8) season we picked up the Setanta Sports package which included NASN, since then i'v watched as much live hockey as i have Football, and i love it.

Caps are going well at the moment, however since the Olympic Break we've been a bit...hit and miss, still picking up points though. A couple of wins and we'll capture our first Presidents Trophy in our history,

I'm a big Rangers fan and it hurts to admit that my team's playoff push is on life support. They were well on the outside of the playoff spots after a few months of miserable play, but got themselves on the cusp of 8th place with a great 5-0-1 (that's W-L-OTL) run over six games. That streak, unfortunately, ended with a loss at Buffalo tonight. Even though the Rangers are currently in 9th, 3 points behind 8th-place Boston with three games to go, they still control their own destiny because their last two games are a home-and-home with 7th-place Philadelphia (they're 4 points ahead of the Rangers and own the tiebreaker advantage over them but have played one more game). Rangers-Flyers is usually an intense rivalry regardless of what's at stake but if the Rangers can get at least a point Wednesday night against Toronto (they really ought to), those final two games will be essentially a mini playoff series. The Rangers will almost surely have to get 5 points in their remaining three games in order to finish in the top 8 (the only way they get in with 3 or 4 points is if Boston chokes horribly in their remaining games).

To be honest, I was saying before the season that I wasn't confident that the Rangers would make the playoffs, but mediocrity does not cut it in New York in anything. Especially not when the Rangers have stretched themselves to the max of the salary cap (thanks to a few ill-conceived huge contracts to Wade Redden and Chris Drury).

As for Cup predictions... it's hard not to choose the Caps, but something tells me to pick the Devils to win the East despite a few inconsistent stretches they've had this year. They're extremely solid defensively, as usual, from their forwards through their defensemen and back down to Martin Brodeur in goal. Brodeur has been criticized earlier this year but honestly, he's still having a good season. They've also added Ilya Kovalchuk in a midseason deal, and their sage-like general manager Lou Lamoriello doesn't just go out and rent mercurial Russian wingers that don't play defense for a few months unless he's certain they'll push his team to a higher level (last time he did that was in 2000, when he traded for Alexander Mogilny, and the Devils went on to win the Cup). Kovalchuk isn't known as a big-time playoff performer but the past is the past. The Devils have taken 3 of 4 against Washington and won all 6 games against Pittsburgh this year. The Devils are also a very well-disciplined team and take very few penalties--that's important if they run into the Capitals and their ridiculous power-play in a later round.

To the Western Conference... wow. This is difficult. The West is absolutely stacked. I'm gonna go with Chicago. San Jose has a better top line and better goaltending, but I think Chicago's third and fourth lines are much better than San Jose's, and I think Chicago has the best group of six defensemen in the league. But then again, Vancouver has got the Sedin twins, Roberto Luongo, and they're excellent at home... Phoenix is playing like a team of destiny... the Nashville Predators are a very hard team to wear down... and one of the top four seeds will have the misfortune of playing the sleeping-giant-that-has-just-awaken, the Detroit Red Wings. Wings-Sharks or Wings-Blackhawks in the first round would be amazing but almost unfair. So, yes, a tough race to handicap... but I'll take the young Blackhawks to win the West and then beat the Devils in 5 in the Stanley Cup finals

As a long-standing Penguins fan, I'd love to see Pittsburgh lift the trophy a second time in only two years. With all the past turmoil & the financial difficulties, they'd certainly deserve the title once more. BUT... it had to be expected that as the current title holders, everybody just wanted to beat them as a matter of pride and they've taken a few hard hits so far. I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't live up to everyone's expectations, as those expectations were certainly high from the start of this campaign. Crosby's a wonderful player, but his teammates have let him down a bit during this regular season. But who knows - the playoffs could be just that time of the year when everything simply comes together once more.

Don't get me wrong, but I dislike the Washington Capitals with a passion. They have always been the Pens' nemesis, and especially the playoff match-ups against Pittsburgh in the past have added to that image. The thing with them is that although they've recently become a fantastic outfit in terms of scoring and attacking (just look at the table and the stats), the saying "offense wins the league, defense the Stanley Cup" still holds true. Yes, Ovechkin's an awesome player, but his team won't make it too far in this year's Stanley Cup playoffs, as they rely too much on him.

Personally, I can see New Jersey getting quite far, too - even though I've never really enjoyed their sometimes ultra-defensive, anti-hockey type of play which is in contrast to what hockey is all about, to be fair (I know it's valid tactics, but I just can't watch it). Brodeur will once more trying to prove he's currently the best goaltender in the league. And I don't know for how much longer he'll remain with the Devils, so lifting another trophy could be his farewell present.

The Sabres have been the "grey mouse" in the East for me, so maybe they'll surprise a few professional pundits, as well.

In the West, I'd love to see Chicago progressing to the final round. They have been in a slump in recent years, but with the influx of some wonderfully talented young players and a good mix, they should get quite far. Only concern here is that the "youngsters" lack the cutting edge in playoff experience. Time will tell. Also, I expect Phoenix to step up - loads of rumours of them being relocated back to Winnipeg before the season started, a presumably weak squad and financial irregularities/difficulties - they have proved all doubters wrong this season, and if they could win the Stanley Cup, they'd have definitely risen from the ashes.

As a former Vancouverite, I also fancy the Canucks to progress past the first round. During the Olympics, they had to overcome a heavy away trip schedule, ultimately winning the majority of these games on the road. That takes some effort.

Oh, and the Red Wings could miss out on making the playoffs for the first time in 21 (?) years. :mrgreen:

Edited by Alexei

If i wrote more than a few lines i'd be kidding myself into thinking i follow ice hockey a lot. But, as I went to a Devils game, I feel like i should want them to win the SC.

On the other hand, I have an unusual fascination for Penguins, so I play with Pittsburg on the xbox and would have them as a close second

Great bit of insight there.

Holy shit.

Rangers beat the Flyers, 4-3, at the Garden last night. It all comes down to the final day...

6. Boston 87 pts., 37 W, 2 GR

7. Montréal 87 pts. 39 W, 1 GR

8. Philadelphia 86 pts., 40 W, 1 GR

---

9. NY Rangers 86 pts. 38 W, 1 GR

Remaining games:

Today: Boston vs Carolina (just started), Montréal vs. Toronto (7 pm Eastern)

Tomorrow: Boston at Washington (noon Eastern), Philly vs. NY Rangers (3 pm)

At the end of the season, if teams are tied on points, total wins is the first tiebreaker, and if that's tied, then head-to-head is the second.

Remember, teams get two points for a win and one point for an overtime/shootout loss... so even though Philadelphia plays the Rangers, if those teams go to overtime tomorrow, then they could both make the playoffs if Boston and/or Montréal collapse on the final weekend.

Devils/Penguins/Sabres still battling it out for the 2nd spot. Devils and Penguins are tied on points and wins and are one point ahead of Buffalo (who are guaranteed at least a top 3 finish because they won their division), but the Devils own the head-to-head tiebreaker over Pittsburgh.

Jesus effing Christ, I'll go crazy if the Rangers get in... and if they can get themselves into a first-round matchup with the Devils, I'll completely lose my shit (and get tickets to one of the games in Jersey because it's impossible to get Rangers playoff tickets without spending a hotel heiress's fortune)

Update: Boston is up 3-0 in the second and are now poised to clinch a playoff spot. As such, for my belovèd Blueshirts, it's do or die tomorrow.

The only way Montreal can finish outside of the top 8 is if they lose tonight and the NY Rangers beat Philly in OT/SO.

Edited by Jordan

Sens v Pens should be a really interesting series. Saying that i think all of them are interesting this year.

Did anyone watch the Rangers @ Flyers game last night? Holy mother of god that was exciting stuff with the Flyers winning out in the shootout. Effectively it was the first game of the playoffs for whoever won, as the winner would take the final spot. I had to rush off to work midway through the 3rd but i saw the highlights online this morning, cannot believe i missed it.

Anyway, we've taken our first Presidents Trophy, and hopefully we'll roll the Habs over in fairly easy fashion, although knowing the Caps, we'll go 3-0 down and come back to win it in 3rd round of O/T in game 7, thats how we roll. Any predictions for the 1st round winners?

I'm going with

Capitals v Montreal

Devils v Flyers

Buffalo v Boston

Penguins v Senators

Sharks v Avalanche

Chicago v Nashville

Vancouver v L.A

Phoenix v Detroit

strikethrough = eliminated.

Never watched a full game

infact the only part of this sport that i have seen has been fight videos on youtube

and i fucking love it

If i was American this would be my sport

If you were Canadian, it wouldn't even be a question lol

Just out of interest why do they always list the away team first on the score banner in American sports? Seems to be the case in basketball as well.

In baseball, the home team always bats second, so they're always listed underneath or after the visitors. The custom spread to the other sports.

edit: some shocks in Game 1 for several series, but I expect normal order to be restored by the time several of these series run their length (except for San Jose, because surely everybody's going, "Oh, no, not again" over there!)

Edited by Jordan

Annoying. We came out looking very very good in the first period, out shooting the Habs like 20-7, yet we only managed to get one puck past an on form Halak. As is caps fashion we then went into O/T and lost. Why can't we just win a series easily for once?

Annoying. We came out looking very very good in the first period, out shooting the Habs like 20-7, yet we only managed to get one puck past an on form Halak. As is caps fashion we then went into O/T and lost. Why can't we just win a series easily for once?

Holy mother of god i love being a caps fan. Its never boring

lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sad to see Pittsburgh being thrown out of the playoffs, but Montreal were by far the more consistent team. Halak working his magic in the second to last game and the Penguins were simply lacking firepower up front. You can't realy on Crosby too much. But they shall be back for another go in a year's time.

Thinking of it, I'd love it if the Habs won the Stanley Cup. Retournez-le au Québec et au Canada! After all, it's been - what?- 18 years since they last won it? And that was also the last time a team from oop North won that award. They have my vote.

Philadelphia are the surprise package in the East, as they scraped into the post-season on the last day. Beating New Jersey in the first round is one thing, but coming down from a 3-0 series deficit and still winning it is outstanding and speaks for the momentum they have.

In the West, Chicago and San Jose will make out their participant in the grande finale 2010. I'd like to see Chicago going to the last round as I find San Jose dull overall (even though they play fancy attacking hockey).

Edited by Alexei

Sad to see Pittsburgh being thrown out of the playoffs, but Montreal were by far the more consistent team. Halak working his magic in the second to last game and the Penguins were simply lacking firepower up front. You can't realy on Crosby too much. But they shall be back for another go in a year's time.

Thinking of it, I'd love it if the Habs won the Stanley Cup. Retournez-le au Québec et au Canada! After all, it's been - what?- 18 years since they last won it? And that was also the last time a team from oop North won that award. They have my vote.

Philadelphia are the surprise package in the East, as they scraped into the post-season on the last day. Beating New Jersey in the first round is one thing, but coming down from a 3-0 series deficit and still winning it is outstanding and speaks for the momentum they have.

In the West, Chicago and San Jose will make out their participant in the grande finale 2010. I'd like to see Chicago going to the last round as I find San Jose dull overall (even though they play fancy attacking hockey).

I know a few people who fancied the flyers. Had it not been for their abysmal start to the season they'd have pushed for a divisional title.

Inn other news the caps have signed centre Nicky Backstrom to a 10 year/$66m deal. That's Oveckhin and Backstrom sorted for a decade!!!!