Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Alexikokopops

Belle and Sebastian

Everything they've done is wonderful, pretty much.

In the 13 odd years I've been listening to them, I think they've got better and better. That said, a lot of their more twee followers think that this is a betrayal of some sort, that they've lost sight of their fey indie roots or something by using a distortion pedal and learning to play a bit better, but you should ignore these people because for the most part they're fucking idiots.

I went on a bit of Belle and Sebastian pilgrimage to Glasgow in 2004 which culminated in them playing a free show at the Botanical Gardens and it was chuffing magical.

'Your Cover's Blown' is one of my favourites

Every single one includes wonderful moments.

'If You're Feeling Sinister' is generally regarded as a highlight. 'The Life Pursuit' upset a lot of their old fans, but I think it's a brilliant pop record. I was blown away by it when it came out.

I'd plump for those two as good examples of early/late B&S, but they're all worth getting if you've the time, cash and inclination.

Story Telling has some great tracks on but is a film soundtrack so has lots of little bits of dialogue in and is not as coherent as the proper albums. 'Push Barman...' is a compilation of all the EPs and as such has next to no tracks that feature on other albums, and shows just how consistent they are

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Cuckoo has just come up on shuffle, I've decided it's time I broaden my B&S horizons. No idea why I've never bothered before to be honest, everything I've ever heard by them I've loved.

• 3 months later...

Fantastic, wonderful band.

'Tigermilk' and 'Dear Catastrophe Waitress' are probably my most played albums (the first three tracks on 'Tigermilk' are utter perfection), but they're all so good it doesn't matter where you start.

As far as individual songs go, I love 'Storytelling', 'Jonathan David' and 'Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying' - but I could make a case for about 50+ songs to go on a compilation for a long car journey.

Seeing them in Newcastle in December... I've missed all their sporadic gigs since their last proper UK tour so I can't wait to hear the new stuff in the flesh. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Nice one. First time I heard that on the radio the other day I was underwhelmed, but now I've heard it a couple more times I think it's great. I still like 'I Want The World to Stop' best.

Bobby Kildea (the scruffy one) is one of my fave guitarists.

There's an interesting re-working of 'Piazza New York Catcher' from the same show here for those that are interested:

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/belle-&-sebastian-9-29-10/1252052

• 1 month later...

saw in a leaflet my parents brought back from watching Al murray last friday that they're playing at Demont hall in december. Can anyone find any more details - can't remember where the leaflet went.

They're playing De Montfort hall in december 14th Tuesday night.

http://www.demontforthall.co.uk/events/?cat_id=1&level=1

Looks like Belle and Sebastian and IC & ML are both part of ATP this year.

20101210-bowlieec.jpg

Been trying to get tickets for this but only 6 berth cabins left............well gutted.

Off to see Edwyn Collins in Bristol on his warm up for this but gutted I'll not get to see Julian Cope and Teenage Fan Club any time soon :(

Been trying to get tickets for this but only 6 berth cabins left............well gutted.

Off to see Edwyn Collins in Bristol on his warm up for this but gutted I'll not get to see Julian Cope and Teenage Fan Club any time soon :(

I saw Teenage Fanclub @ summer sundae this year. And to be honest they were a bit of a let down....Sadly!!

• 1 month later...

Archived