Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Classical Music

I listened to Jupiter from Gustav Holst's Planets suite on Saturday and to be honest it was the best music I've heard for a long time.

Younger people seem to overlook classical music even though it is surely the most intricate and intriguing music in the world. It's also created by musicians and composers that in terms of musical skill and expertise would make most indie bands and electronic music producers look like mugs.

What everyone's favourite classical music (from any era - Romantic, Baroque, Modern, etc)?

Mussorgsky's Pictures At an Exhibition and also A Night on Bare Mountain (The Maxell tapes music for older forumeers! :thumbup: ) - Powerful!

Debussey's Clair De Lune - supremely melodic

Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite - story telling via the medium of music

Holst's Planet Suite - Immense and hugely eclectic within it's form. Not just Jupiter as James mentioned, but Mars, stirring; Venus - chilling; Neptune - mysterious

there's more but don't want to steal anyone else's thunder. :whistle:

Just be carefull when listening to classic through headphones.

They almost all contain quiet sections which you will doze off to. then crashing crescendos that scare you shitless when they wake you up.

Be warned

i adore classical music

there's so much to chose from, i won't bore people with the obvious ones, but worth checking out are Gabriele Faure, Charles Ives, Paul Hindemith....

i think Sibelius and Stravinsky are massively underrated too

Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet overture, is pure cheese, cause of it's cliched usage, but it's also one of the most perfect pieces of music ever created and that final surge blows me away every time.

i think Sibelius and Stravinsky are massively underrated too

Finlandia suite - beautiful music

and of course Rite of Spring was used in the original Fantasia, which was a Tour De Fource of classical music.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I know it's well known, but Pachelbel's Canon in D Major is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. It's really amazing.

Was just listening to this and came looking for a classical thread. Marvellous stuff.

Love that one FoxyPV posted too. Netrebko and Garanca Flower duet. I listen to that version quite alot.

A bit of classic always goes down well at Crimbo time.

Another big favourite of mine. Shame about the audio quality though.

A bit of Saint Saens from Samson et Dalila. Bostin like Steve Austin.

VERSE MOI, VERSE MOI, L'IVREEEEEEEEEEEsse

What's that one they play on the radio a lot with the sleigh bells? Dahhh da da da da dahhh da da da da da dahh da da da da da da dahhh

Is it Troika ? The one that was the intro to Greg Lake's song " I Believe in father Christmas"

edit;

this one ?

Archived