Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JadeFalcon

METAL!

OK, well maybe I was a little vehement in my attack and probably was trying to provoke a reaction in some way so apologies also. I think it's good to voice alternate viewpoints though not just ignore threads you don't like. Imagine a world where everybody thought exactly the same thing and no one dared to differ? Not very pleasant. My argument still stands though that I genuinely cannot see the merit in any of the songs posted on this topic. I am not being sarcastic here I just don't get it and if someone could explain the appeal to me I would be very pleased. Like I said previously we have about 100 songs on here and not one melody.

Thanks

Rumble

X

Good music is good music regardless of genre. It's just that some people prefer one to the other.

What kind of music do you like, Rumble? I know Joe Strummer is one, which would lead me to believe you may have inclinations towards punk (?). If so, it's one of the genres under the broad umbrella of guitar music which I have no love for regardless of the variety of bands/ gigs etc I heard and seen.

It may not be melodic in a traditional sense (although quite a bit of early Metallica would contradict this view)but the riffs in good metal are what I believe ties the genre together. It's combination of powerful guitars (it's always nice to have a solo thrown in for good measure), beautifully timed drumming (with lots and lots of double kick - personal choice), and good vocals.

What you define as the above though varies from person to person as seen by the variety of songs listed.

If you are not a fan of the genre I would suggest Metallica's Black album as a starting point.

Anyway a bit of theatricality never goes amiss. :whistle:

OK, well maybe I was a little vehement in my attack and probably was trying to provoke a reaction in some way so apologies also. I think it's good to voice alternate viewpoints though not just ignore threads you don't like. Imagine a world where everybody thought exactly the same thing and no one dared to differ? Not very pleasant. My argument still stands though that I genuinely cannot see the merit in any of the songs posted on this topic. I am not being sarcastic here I just don't get it and if someone could explain the appeal to me I would be very pleased. Like I said previously we have about 100 songs on here and not one melody.

Thanks

Rumble

X

Surly you dont need an explanation as to why some people like a certain type of music? You either like it or you hate it. Why do people like rap, r&b pop? I for one do anything to avoid these genres but i wouldnt ask someone to explain why they like them.

Surely it is more open minded to ASK what someone sees in a certain kind of music than just ignore it? Maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks FoxyPV, appreciate the explanation. I suppose it's just a case of "feeling it" or "not feeling it"? I also believe chance plays a big part. I happened to a dad that listened to punk when I was growing up so I guess it stuck. Though I must say I am not "a punk" and would class my favourite bands as Joy Division, Velvet Underground, Dexys Midnight Runners, The Crystals, Hefner, Pulp, Beach Boys Scott Walker and many many more. Sorry everyone I seem to have changed the focus of this thread but I do like to discuss music and genuinely have an interest in why people like certain things.

Anyway, toodle pip.

Rumble

X

Thanks

Rumble

X

Like FoxyPV, I have a soft spot for heavy (distorted) guitars and good riffs. I also have a strong preference for progressive music, especially guitar-based progressive. Again metal is a genre where progressive has an established place as a sub-genre. The Meshuggah song I posted is interesting to me as it plays with rhythm, in the sense that it confuses your mind into thinking it's NOT a 4/4 beat which it is, through the use of syncopation and poly-rhythms. His growling is quite interesting too, even if growling is rarely inspiring or melodious. The Tool track is similar in regards to syncopation and a great heavy riff, but he actually has a great voice too which I don't think is that usual for metal music in general. And like FoxyPV points out, I think the quality of the drumming in these songs and the genre in general, is superior to almost all other bar maybe jazz (which gets too advanced for me).

Regarding the melody, that must also be down to personal taste.

• 2 weeks later...

In some quarters, but nothing more than people uploading individual tracks to Youtube is getting through at the moment. They're not up there for long before being taken down, but I'm pretty sure that Sounds Of A Playground Fading and A New Dawn are on there now. Worth giving them a listen.

underoath are my favourite brand and they have been loosely classed as metal by some. Personally I'd say screamo, metal to me is the much more traditional stuff as opposed to the newer stuff mentioned not too far back.

anyone else into underoath?

Not technically 'metal' but I thought I'd whack some Glassjaw in here anyway and try and get some appreciation going.

:wub:

Frankie Sandford's (of the Saturdays fame) favourite band, bit of trivia there. Makes her even more attractive.

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence is an all time favourite album for me. Easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Me and my house mate have been listening to Metallica loads over the last week. Seriously if you put on any of the first 4 albums and you're not moshing or playing air guitar in your kitchen then you havn't got a pulse

I bow to you sir. Excellent taste. Master Of Puppets is just a superb album. My fave of theirs.

Archived