Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Nirvana

Nevermind was the perfect antidote to the tripe SAW were churning out at the time. The charts were really attrocious at the time and rock music was all but dead - making Nevermind one of the most important albums of all time.

Having said that, In Utero was better.

We will never know, I think the Foo Fighters have been a fitting legacy to Nirvana, although I have lost interest in them for since Echoes Silence Patience and Grace bored me to tears.

If you haven't yet then give their newest album a listen (you can here http://wastinglight.foofighters.com/). I agree about ESPG being a bit boring/dreary but Wasting Light is much better in my opinion.

But, as this is a Nirvana thread, a few favourites:

One of the most horrifically overrated bands and frontmen of all time, especially by kids who were either babies or sperm at the time of Cobain's death.

I sympathize with those now in their thirties who lived through Nirvana-mania and genuinely lost a hero when he died but everyone else can put their dicks down and chill out.

They're a tidy band but, Christ, some people'd swear blind they were the all time epitome of music.

TBH, i don't see the attraction to Nivarna, I much prefer Foo Fighters.

That might be becasue i grew up listening to Foos, rather then Nivarna

One of the most horrifically overrated bands and frontmen of all time, especially by kids who were either babies or sperm at the time of Cobain's death.

I sympathize with those now in their thirties who lived through Nirvana-mania and genuinely lost a hero when he died but everyone else can put their dicks down and chill out.

They're a tidy band but, Christ, some people'd swear blind they were the all time epitome of music.

This

Just because i didnt grow up listening to them doesnt mean I can't appreciate their music and rate kurt cobain as one of the best musicians and vocalists of all time. Don't claim to be devastated that he died because I've only known about him since he's been dead. Let people like what they want

I was 14 when Kurt Cobain died.I had literally a few months before he died only started listening to them, so I was a bit miffed when he was found dead.

And to top it off he was discovered the day before my birthday. How inconsiderate.

I agree to a certain extent, it will hit fans who followed the band at the time harder than those who were either too young or not even born when cobain died.

That said theres no question they were a very important band who came to prominence when guitar music wasnt cool and made kids pick up instruments and start bands much like the punk movenment did in the uk in 77. I thought cobain was a great frontmant with an incredible voice.

As for overrated thats a tought one, overrated how? If millions of people dig what he (they) did they how can he be overated?, he's rated by millions, this wasn't some teen boyband where you could question why they sold millions

Just because someone doesnt like a band doesnt mean they are overrated, overrated by you maybe but its used as generalisation which in this case simply isnt true

Just because i didnt grow up listening to them doesnt mean I can't appreciate their music and rate kurt cobain as one of the best musicians and vocalists of all time. Don't claim to be devastated that he died because I've only known about him since he's been dead. Let people like what they want

Well said, think yo are a bit older than me and I was only 2 years old when he died. But I love his music and have always been fascinated by him, reading his biography to the books about 'Who Killed Jurt Cobain?'

Really interesting individual and a great artist.

It would be 'Where did you sleep...' if it was their own, so I'll go for 'Sappy'/'Verse Chorus Verse'

Sappy and Verse Chorus Verse are two different songs, everyone thinks they are the same when they arent.

Great songs though.

TBH, i don't see the attraction to Nivarna, I much prefer Foo Fighters.

That might be becasue i grew up listening to Foos, rather then Nivarna

This

And I'm not surprised you dont like Nirvana muchm you cant even spell the name properly.

:whistle:

Foos are awesome but there are a lot of songs by them which are very average and not great, unlike Nirvana when I like nearly every single one, and Foos songs arent quite as deep as Nirvana, but they are still a great band, best since Nirvana IMO.

And I'm not surprised you dont like Nirvana muchm you cant even spell the name properly.

:whistle:

Foos are awesome but there are a lot of songs by them which are very average and not great, unlike Nirvana when I like nearly every single one, and Foos songs arent quite as deep as Nirvana, but they are still a great band, best since Nirvana IMO.

What's worse, i checked before i posted... lol, i blame work..... :ph34r:

But you can't spell much :P

Well said, think yo are a bit older than me and I was only 2 years old when he died. But I love his music and have always been fascinated by him, reading his biography to the books about 'Who Killed Jurt Cobain?'

Really interesting individual and a great artist.

Sappy and Verse Chorus Verse are two different songs, everyone thinks they are the same when they arent.

Great songs though.

Acually they renamed Sappy to Verse Chorus Verse, even though they already had a song called it - I have a track on a couple of CDs which is called Verse Chorus Verse but is actually Sappy.

I'll let you off though... :thumbup:

Acually they renamed Sappy to Verse Chorus Verse, even though they already had a song called it - I have a track on a couple of CDs which is called Verse Chorus Verse but is actually Sappy.

I'll let you off though... :thumbup:

I was aware of that, just merely pointing out that they are now in fact two different songs which because of what you say people dont realise and assume they are both the same.

Ha,what about 40s!Got to see them(above post) but people talk about Nevermind being a classic album but in my view i can think of 4 better albums from Seattle bands,i dont suppose you are interested but i will list them anyway!! in no particular order but still better.

Pearl Jam-Ten

Alice in Chains-Dirt (unplugged isnt too shabby)

Mother Love Bone-Mother Love Bone (2 now in Pearl Jam )

Soundgarden-Badmotorfinger

Would have been Kurts 45th birthday today.

i was lucky to see them at Reading but at the time didnt realise how good they were.

First time they were decent - nothing more, second time they were shitter than a park covered in dog shite.

Saw them many times and as much as Nevermind is a cracking album they were vastly over-rated and an abysmal live act more times as not.

Without Teen Spirit no one would have ever given a toss. Without suicide hardly anyone would care.

Ha,what about 40s!Got to see them(above post) but people talk about Nevermind being a classic album but in my view i can think of 4 better albums from Seattle bands,i dont suppose you are interested but i will list them anyway!! in no particular order but still better.

Pearl Jam-Ten

Alice in Chains-Dirt (unplugged isnt too shabby)

Mother Love Bone-Mother Love Bone (2 now in Pearl Jam )

Soundgarden-Badmotorfinger

What a list! I agree they're all the best albums by each band. I was massively into the Seattle scene when I was younger, and played those cds to death.

Not sure about Nevermind - it is very good, but maybe a bit too glossy for grunge. I love it, but I don't think it represents the scene very accurately. Bleach, In Utero and the B-sides and rarities album, Incesticide, are all far more raw and clearly less aimed at the mainstream, but I still can't settle on my favourite out of the four.

Archived