Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

St Ledger thinks we can make the playoffs-delusional?

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/won-t-play-offs-insists-Sean-St-Ledger/story-15431148-detail/story.html

St Ledger said City still had a chance to close the gap.

"It is not over," said the City defender. "Why would it be?

"There are 12 games left, 36 points to play for. We go out to try to win every game, and if we go on another run together and try to kick on then who knows?

"People will write us off against Reading. It is still a possibility because we can take points off Reading, West Ham, Hull and Birmingham, so anything is possible and we won't be giving up the fight yet.

"We have a massive game against Reading now who are on a fantastic run of form, but we still feel it is possible because we are seven points behind, which is just three games.

"We also have Birmingham to play next week which is a huge game for us.

"We have to be confident. We have Saturday and Tuesday games all the way through March, and if we put in another little run then anything is possible."

St Ledger is drawing heart from his experiences at Preston North End in 2009 when they made a late run to gatecrash the play-offs on the last game of the season.

"I was at Preston a couple of years ago when we all thought it was impossible and we beat Cardiff 6-0. In the end it came down to the last day and we took the last play-off place from them on goal difference," he recalled.

"We had won seven of the last 10 before Bristol, which isn't a bad record, and I suppose seven from 11 still isn't bad.

"It is a funny old game and we will keep fighting right to the very end.

"We have a lot of tough away games coming up and very important games.

"Everyone in the changing room believes that we haven't given up yet."

Would you rather the players say we have no chance and just give up then?

No but a sense of realism, that they will play the remaining games with pride and if we make the playoffs then so be it and if not then that is fine, this is our problem players are too much word based and not enough action, they should do their talking on the pitch.

No but a sense of realism, that they will play the remaining games with pride and if we make the playoffs then so be it and if not then that is fine, this is our problem players are too much word based and not enough action, they should do their talking on the pitch.

agree with this. i have no respect for trotting out tired cliches, come out and say "its very doubtful, we've been horrendously inconsistent in the league, and some individuals have let themselves down, all I can say is I will try my hardest personally, and hope to make the play offs"

Interviews generally take the form of being "word based".

To be honest that is basically what he's saying. They want to win every game, and if they go on a decent run they could mathematically catch up.

I for one am looking for us to build for next season, any sort of play off push is a bonus, but you still want the players to have the right attitude.

agree with this. i have no respect for trotting out tired cliches, come out and say "its very doubtful, we've been horrendously inconsistent in the league, and some individuals have let themselves down, all I can say is I will try my hardest personally, and hope to make the play offs"

Then he'd get slated even more, and other players might take it the wrong way. Good for morale that.

Interviews generally take the form of being "word based".

I appreciate that, it is just getting to repetitive for my liking this playoffs whether we can make it or not, mathematically it isn't impossible, but a sense of realism needs to hits home imo.

It's been pretty much standard fare for the last decade although most of that was how we were going to avoid relegation. It's not unique to Leicester City or to football and has become more regular since the internet gave them all a voice and space to fill.

Then he'd get slated even more, and other players might take it the wrong way. Good for morale that.

is it better for morale to live in a dream world? if, as i assume they are, discussing in the changing room how poor they have been, and the obvious failings, then why can't they come out and say it, instead of more boring dross?

I appreciate that, it is just getting to repetitive for my liking this playoffs whether we can make it or not, mathematically it isn't impossible, but a sense of realism needs to hits home imo.

Maybe St.Ledger genuinely believes it possible, especially considering what happened when he played at Preston. Maybe Pearson has informed his players to maintain positivity in front of the media?

It's not worth worrying about what players say in the media, it's toeing the line dross 90% of the time.

Alright, we lost against Bristol City but surely, given that they were at the wrong end of the table, struggling to score goals, let alone win, and given the way that when faced with such opposition, Leicester traditionally always like to come down to their level, defeat was not entirely unexpected.

So, we don't make it easy for ourselves and this is no exception but why be a Jonah? The season's not over till the FA(T) referee blows the pea out of his whistle on the 28th April at roundabout 2-18pm.

There are thirty six points to play for. If we get 16 out of 18 at home and 11 out of 18 away, that's 75 points which should put us in with a decent shout for the top six.

As the song says 'I believe in miracles!'

At the moment "no chance", but things in this league change so fast and so often, we have to play several play-off rivals ie Reading Blackpool Hull Leeds Burnley, these are the games that we must perform in. This time next week (if miraculously we got 6 more points), the forum will be buzzing.... massive IF though

We won't make the play-offs, but the season is far from over. It's time to build a winning mentality and try out some new ideas ready for next season. Teams that win towards the end of the season often carry that form forward into the beginning of the next season (eg. Middlesbrough last year).

Lets give Schlupp some substantial game time, give Pantsil a try, give Drinkwater more time in the middle of the park, bring through some of the younger players, and build some flexibility in by trying different formations, making us able to adapt game by game.

Lets remove some of the hype and the pressure around the place, and let the players relax and enjoy playing football.

.... and enjoy the FA Cup!

We won't make the play-offs, but the season is far from over. It's time to build a winning mentality and try out some new ideas ready for next season. Teams that win towards the end of the season often carry that form forward into the beginning of the next season (eg. Middlesbrough last year).

Lets give Schlupp some substantial game time, give Pantsil a try, give Drinkwater more time in the middle of the park, bring through some of the younger players, and build some flexibility in by trying different formations, making us able to adapt game by game.

Lets remove some of the hype and the pressure around the place, and let the players relax and enjoy playing football.

.... and enjoy the FA Cup!

I agree, let's build a winning mentality and finish the season with a strong run.

That way I'll get better relegation odds over the summer

I'm not sure what he has said wrong? It is possible we have just won 3 out of the last 4 games if we keep up that form we should hit the Play Offs? Don't think anyone would bet on it now but its not impossible far stranger things have happened in football why should we expect the players to give up its their job

Archived