Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

St Ledger thinks we can make the playoffs-delusional?

http://www.thisislei...tail/story.html

St Ledger said City still had a chance to close the gap.

"It is not over," said the City defender. "Why would it be?

"There are 12 games left, 36 points to play for. We go out to try to win every game, and if we go on another run together and try to kick on then who knows?

"People will write us off against Reading. It is still a possibility because we can take points off Reading, West Ham, Hull and Birmingham, so anything is possible and we won't be giving up the fight yet.

"We have a massive game against Reading now who are on a fantastic run of form, but we still feel it is possible because we are seven points behind, which is just three games.

"We also have Birmingham to play next week which is a huge game for us.

"We have to be confident. We have Saturday and Tuesday games all the way through March, and if we put in another little run then anything is possible."

St Ledger is drawing heart from his experiences at Preston North End in 2009 when they made a late run to gatecrash the play-offs on the last game of the season.

"I was at Preston a couple of years ago when we all thought it was impossible and we beat Cardiff 6-0. In the end it came down to the last day and we took the last play-off place from them on goal difference," he recalled.

"We had won seven of the last 10 before Bristol, which isn't a bad record, and I suppose seven from 11 still isn't bad.

"It is a funny old game and we will keep fighting right to the very end.

"We have a lot of tough away games coming up and very important games.

"Everyone in the changing room believes that we haven't given up yet."

Stopped reading after this. Does he mean another 2 game winning streak? He has to at least appear to be optimistic though doesnt he.

Stopped reading after this. Does he mean another 2 game winning streak? He has to at least appear to be optimistic though doesnt he.

lol

That's what I took from it. Another epic 180 minute winning streak.... G'won lads!!!

I don't mean to knock what he or obviously Pearson think but the realist in me thinks promotion's most probably out of reach now

Not said the right thing in an interview such a crime.

But oh know lets fvcking moan about it. Sack him sell him he's fvcking shite.

FFS is there nothing people in here won't moan about?

Had he said we've given up on the league and gonna try for the cup someone would have come on sayin He's a quiter.

And it did'nt have to be SSL any of them would have got it from some in here.

Of course he hasn't given up. For starters Pearson has said a few games ago that anyone in the team who talks of giving up until it's mathematically impossible is going to get short shrift from him.

It's the right attitude, regardless of the likelihood of it.

I wouldn't say we were completely out of making the play-offs.

Anything can happen in football, we just need to keep winning and hope on other results going in our favour.

The only thing is...we seem to be incapable of keeping up good form and winning game after game.

My heart says yes, my head says no.

Why the hell would anyone want the players or the manger to give up before it's mathematically done and dusted? Until it's no longer possible you have to try your hardest to do it, whether we are good enough or not, or if it's likely or not shoudn't come into it.

People just seem to want to moan about something.

Good lad St Ledger! Come join the optimistic bus chap. He makes reference to PNE who came back from a worse position than ours. You could also refer to Reading's surge a few years back where they were on the same amount of points (ish) at this time in the season. It isn't over until Nige and the team say so, until then I will keep (yes probably, dilusionally) beleiving.

Up the city!

Why the hell would anyone want the players or the manger to give up before it's mathematically done and dusted? Until it's no longer possible you have to try your hardest to do it, whether we are good enough or not, or if it's likely or not shoudn't come into it.

I don't think people are complaining about him saying these things per se, I think it's the fact that they keep talking all this pseudo motivational bullshiit, but then NEVER back it up with any real fight or spirit. talk talkers, not walk walkers.

Guest BlueBrett

Spot on Babs. I certainly wont be abandoning hope until the maths forces me to (if it ever does :thumbup: ).

Of course he hasn't given up. For starters Pearson has said a few games ago that anyone in the team who talks of giving up until it's mathematically impossible is going to get short shrift from him.

It's the right attitude, regardless of the likelihood of it.

I was talking about half the fans on this thread

St Ledger is probably a bit delusional although until its mathematically impossible they should be busting a gut every game and saying the right things etc etc

It'd have been nice if they had been doing this all season, instead of just for the last 12 games.

He has got to say that because it is still mathematically possible, just like Pearson has to.

Can't I remember Pearson say if players say that the season is over there will be 'serious repercussions'?

And just like Simo86 better than saying we have no chance and just give up.

No but a sense of realism, that they will play the remaining games with pride and if we make the playoffs then so be it and if not then that is fine, this is our problem players are too much word based and not enough action, they should do their talking on the pitch.

FFS i've said it before and i'll say it again you are a Muppet. You tried slate Pearson after he said the same thing in a press confrence last month, you really have no idea do you?

I don't think they should come out and say it's over. But I do think that when it is, some of these players should come out and apologise on the teams behalf. The season has been embarrassing and they've let the club down.

I also don't want any of this bullshit attitude of 'the league is the most important thing'. That might wash when you're doing well in it but (and here's where they have actually got to be realistic) we are one game away from Wembley and whilst it's not probable that we will get there, it's realistically the only thing that can save our season, The one thing they have shown this season is that they can win a one off game against decent opposition, and they are capable of putting a good performance in. Consistently? No chance. But one match maybe. So I want the first team, positive tactics, and the most hardworking and fearless display of the season. And if we come out on the losing side I don't want to hear 'they've done themselves proud and deserve a lot of credit for today. We need to take that into our remaining league fixtures'.

Nah, the cup should mean everything at this stage, whether we were in the play-offs or not, but especially because they've ****ed up the whole season. It's their last chance for reprieve. There will be no credit for failure.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope all the players are still believing that we can still make the play-offs , however slim the chances are I don’t want any of them easing off and just going through the motions .

A good run now , even if it fails to achieve the end result, will still do a lot of good for team building and preparation for next year .

Archived