Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stay Positive

Best 5 Gigs You've been To?

Pixies - De Mont 1989ish, same gig as mentioned by Trav and SP, just immense, when they fired up Cecilia Ann in the pitch back then strode out swathed in dry ice and strobe lighting is one of the most memorable gig highlights of all time.

Beck - Rock City, can't remember the year but it was just after Odelay! was released, hip hop country funk brilliant! He has better moves than Jacko.

Symposium - Anyone remember them?, must have seen them 4 or 5 times, each one was a riot, very messy, great fun.

Flaming Lips (supporting Mercury Rev) - De Mont Uni, what a band, giant gong, hand puppets and giant video screens, and these were the support act?

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Rock City 2009(?) probably not the greatest gig, the keyboard player was struggling a bit, but the guy is a legend just seeing him live was enough for me, and when he did New Partner just him and his guitar you could hear a pin drop.

Far, far too many to pick a top 5.

For the best part of twenty years we did at least one gig a week and most festivals - between my brother's & mate's journo job, my radio gig and mates in the industry we never paid for a thing.

And that I can't remember most

Of them is slightly problematic too!

oh add Jello Biafra & the Guantanamo school of medicine in a tiny tiny room in sheffield doing Holiday in Cambodia, Moon over Marin, California Uber Alles was pretty amazing not exactly dead Kennedys but still Jello

and Fugazi @ Nottingham Polytechnic favourite band ever without question

Now there is a band I would love to see.

Though without recalling every gig I've ever been too The Slackers, Subhumans and Napalm Death have been consistently brilliant whenever I've seen them.

F ucked up were also great live and I'll throw Rage against the machine in there too.

Now there is a band I would love to see.

Though without recalling every gig I've ever been too The Slackers, Subhumans and Napalm Death have been consistently brilliant whenever I've seen them.

F ucked up were also great live and I'll throw Rage against the machine in there too.

Fugazi changed everything for me musically opened my ears up to so much

agree with The Slackers believe they are coming back to the maze nottingham in august

Fugazi changed everything for me musically opened my ears up to so much

agree with The Slackers believe they are coming back to the maze nottingham in august

Yeah, I'm a tad peeved they're not playing Leicester this year. I'll be seeing them in Newcastle on the 16th though I think, failing that I'll see then in Notts.

• 2 weeks later...

4) Pixies (De Montfort Hall, circa 1989)

Aah, back in the days when i was still a teenager, and still attended gigs with about fifteen mates! I seem to remember them starting with "Cecilia Ann", and all of us being utterly bladdered by the end of the night. Happy days.

I was at that one too but top of my list is:

1) Pixies - first UK night of the reunion tour, Brixton Academy 2004

2) The Black Keys - Brixton Academy 2010

3) The Wedding Present - Sheffield Student Union 1989/90'ish (first concert I ever went to)

4) Belly (supported by Radiohead & The Cranberries) - Hull Adelphi 1993

5) Interpol - Brixton Academy 2010

• 2 years later...

gonna resurrect this now we've all had 2 more years to see some more live bands and watching glasto on the tele made me think to myself what my favourites have been. 

1) Justice. probably the best, coolest, most enjoyable 2 hours of my life. it takes some fúcking sensational sounds and songs to still have such a good gig when the two chaps on stage do not move, speak or even acknowledge anything is happening the whole time. just a sensational gig. crowd was nuts, i was off my rocker and one of the key things i remember is spending a good 30 seconds with neither foot on the ground. wasn't sure if i was going to survive. when genesis started the gig i thought the roof was going to come off that shitty little blue tent. 

2) SBTRKT. vibes man. so much dancing, everyone was so chilled and it was just a special little set. 

3) Kasabian. smashed. 

4) Madness. middle of the day at leeds fest on the sunday (i think). sun shining, everyone was ruined and just running round with smiles on their faces. 

fifth is tricky there's quite a few that deserve mentions. courteeners, foo fighters, friendly fires, miike snow all great times were had. i'd see them all again about 10 times if they'd just bloody tour. 

edit - i completely forgot the whole of 2013. alunageorge was just boss, foals were a box ticker i'd wanted to tick for years, major lazer was like nothing i'd ever experienced before & subfocus was one big lovely blur. 

Justice are crackling.

Anyway, in no particular order -

Enter Shikari @ The Cockpit in Leeds. Say what you like about the music, but they put on a hell of a show.

Kasabian @ DeMont Hall

The Hoosiers @ my uni bar: Had them for the end of year party 2013, great day in general. Being on the same bill as the hoosiers (and this year: Dodgy) is a bit of a weird one.

Maximo Park were the highlight of V-Festival last year.

And Mallory Knox @ The Cockpit.

Hoping Anti-Flag and Rise Against will top that later this year.

So hard to pick just five but I'll try:

1. Muse - Wembley stadium 2007.

The first night of their sellout weekend. This was my first gig of any size so it wasn't a bad start.

2. Milburn - The Charlotte - Sept 2007.

I think we had just beat Watford 3-0 in a game that DJ and De Vries bagged. The best gig I have ever been to at The Charlotte, was absolutely rammed.

3. Muse - Teignmouth - Sept 2009?

Massive homecoming gig in which a tiny seaside town had it's population doubled in a weekend. The place was Muse mad, plenty of coverage and of course Muse delivered.

4. Pulp - Leeds fest 2011.

Just because.

5. RATM - Leeds fest 2008.

Had waited so long for these and they were pretty much the reason I went Leeds that year.

New Order - Leicester Palais 1983 (i think) was such an odd venue and tickets were only £2.50

The Clash - DMH 1984 ,actually got to meet the band after this gig

Foo Fighters - MK Bowl 2011, awesome,Biffy Clyro supported and Alice Cooper,Roger Taylor and Brian May all joined in on the encore

Madness -12 Days of Christmas Tour 1980 , my 1st ever gig

Happy Mondays - Leicester Poly 1989, just on the verge of making it big, Shaun Ryder was such a knob, my mate chucked beer over him

Special mention go out to PWEi,Neds Atomic Dustbin, The Cult and even George Michael and Wham!

Archived