Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicesterpool

Leicester's biggest flop signings

One for the history books! In Dec 1954, City paid Lincoln city what was then a club record fee of £27,600 for Andy Graver. He was bought to partner Arthur Rowley. As a centre-forward, he came with a glowing reputation, having scored 106 goals in 172 matches while at Sincil Bank. He played 11 games for City, scoring 3 league goals plus 1 in the Cup and was sold back to Lincoln in the close season for £26,000. Later that season, he signed for Stoke and scored the winning goal that knocked us out of the Cup in Jan 1956.

So he cost us £1600 and scored 4 in 11 and all that was 59 years ago. You need to let go mate.

• Like 2

People speculate about Mills and Beclfords wages? Care to guess how much they were on?

Dj Campbell for me was a flop. Always offside as the tune goes and also big wages (15k a week at a time we really shouldn't be spending that?!)

Mills £40k

Becks £34k

So he cost us £1600 and scored 4 in 11 and all that was 59 years ago. You need to let go mate.

It would seem from your comment that you have little interest in the history of the Club. I did say it was one for the history book and at the time, it was quite controversial. He was signed to try and keep us in Div 1 - I suppose there are possible similarities with the signing of Chris Wood except he was bought to get us into the PL. The outgoing transfer fee of £26.000 was also a club record at the time. but all in all, the signing of Andy Graver was probably the biggest signing flop that had happened in the club since it was founded in 1884 and was therefore relevant to this thread. I take it that you will have no interest in the heritage day at the KP a week on Sunday when there is the opportunity to meet in person several City players from that era.. I have enjoyed to date 64 years of following Leicester City and I have some wonderful memories that span from 1949 right up to that nail-biting night last Tuesday against Bolton. Cheers, Stocky. Edited to add that if you care to look through the current issue of 4-4-2, you will come across my contribution to the superb article about Arthur Rowley - yes 59 years ago. Edited by stockyfox

It would seem from your comment that you have little interest in the history of the Club. I did say it was one for the history book and at the time, it was quite controversial. He was signed to try and keep us in Div 1 - I suppose there are possible similarities with the signing of Chris Wood except he was bought to get us into the PL. The outgoing transfer fee of £26.000 was also a club record at the time. but all in all, the signing of Andy Graver was probably the biggest signing flop that had happened in the club since it was founded in 1884 and was therefore relevant to this thread. I take it that you will have no interest in the heritage day at the KP a week on Sunday when there is the opportunity to meet in person several City players from that era.. I have enjoyed to date 64 years of following Leicester City and I have some wonderful memories that span from 1949 right up to that nail-biting night last Tuesday against Bolton. Cheers, Stocky. Edited to add that if you care to look through the current issue of 4-4-2, you will come across my contribution to the superb article about Arthur Rowley - yes 59 years ago.

For what it's worth I think our history is fascinating Stocky

Not much of flop in terms of a transfer fee. If I remember correctly it was around the £1 million pound mark.

Gareth Williams when we signed him from Forest. I thought he'd be a really good player for us and came highly rated from Forest.

Unfortunately he was pretty poor for us.

Huge flop. Williams and Stephen Hughes in the same field? That was atrocious.

I find it hard to believe that Richard Cresswell didn't get a mention yet--he is easily one of the biggest flops ever at this club. I know transfer fees were stupidly inflated then, but he still cost £750,000 for just 13 appearances and one goal.

Peter Taylor had grand visions of Cresswell and Benjamin being a star striker partnership for years to come :D It seems so absurd now that it's almost funny.

It's almost unfair to call players that have had terrible injury luck (e.g. Eadie) "flops," but may I add Peter Canero's name to this thread?

Huge flop. Williams and Stephen Hughes in the same field? That was atrocious.

I find it hard to believe that Richard Cresswell didn't get a mention yet--he is easily one of the biggest flops ever at this club. I know transfer fees were stupidly inflated then, but he still cost £750,000 for just 13 appearances and one goal.

Peter Taylor had grand visions of Cresswell and Benjamin being a star striker partnership for years to come :D It seems so absurd now that it's almost funny.

It's almost unfair to call players that have had terrible injury luck (e.g. Eadie) "flops," but may I add Peter Canero's name to this thread?

I don't see Cresswell as a flop - i thought he didn't get much of a chance - always thought he was decent when he played - just never seemed to be in favour.

I thought Arnar Gunnlaugsson was going to be awesome. He looked great playing for Bolton but I thought he never really did himself justice at LCFC.

Graeme Fenton looked like a good signing too...until he played for us.

Is Akinbiyi still our record signing for fvcks sake? We need to get to the prem so we can put an end to this. I'm not going to wipe my arse until we do.

There's so much **** that comes out of your mouth, nobody will notice which end isn't clean. Your arse might be cleaner too.

Edited by Langley