Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
rico

The Beatles

Recently been discussing how better Sgt Peppers could have been, and thought what do people think. I know it is a good album already, but not their best imo, and I even once heard George talk about the lack of guitar work which I'd never considered.

Anyway, I know Magical Mystery Tour represents the film and in itself is actually a good album but consider if Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane, two of their best songs which I believe was a double-A side, were included on Sgt Peppers as initially suggested. It's not as if Magical Mystery Tour would be weak either, when you consider I Am The Walrus, All You Need Is Love, Hello Goodbye etc.

Sgt Peppers Intro

With A Little Help From My Friends

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds

Getting Better

Fixing A Hole

She's Leaving Home

Being For The Benefit Mr Kite

Within You Without You

When I'm Sixty-Four

Good Morning, Good Morning

Sgt Peppers Reprise

A Day In The Life

So, chopping and changing a bit, something like (and this is all personal of course):

Sgt Peppers Intro

With A Little Help From My Friends

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds

Strawberry Fields Forever

Fixing A Hole

She's Leaving Home

Being For The Benefit Mr Kite

Penny Lane

When I'm Sixty-Four

A Day In The Life

Good Morning, Good Morning

Sgt Peppers Reprise

Sorry, so that I listen to music that requires talent makes my opinion irrelevant? How the **** did you make it to university with such poor reasoning skills?

If I were going to argue that a band were good, saying they inspired Oasis and that one of the bands members was the hero of the gallagher brothers is a very poor move.

Greatest song writers ever? Behave. As far as lyrical content goes Dio and Dylan are streets ahead, and well plenty of bands have produced better music to go with it. The whole backwards guitar and sing have never been done by anyone else because it's absolutely shit. Reversing the singing is what you do when you're a student radio station trying to censor tracks because you aren't considered anywhere near important enough to be sent radio edits, not when you're supposed to be a good band.

Bands covering yesterday a lot is no sign of quality - Justin Beiber is one of the most downloaded artists around and he's utter tosh. Hell, you could even put it then as being ridiculously simplistic, lacking any talent and so reproducable by any Joe on the street.

Now hang on one minute... having a go at the beatles is all well and good... but I wont stand for Bieber abuse!  :)

I didn't know till recently that Charles Manson interpreted Beatles songs as agreeing with his insane beliefs before his cult murdered all those people. 

He believed that the Beatles were singing to him and that Helter Skelter was the terminology for the downfall of society as the whites and blacks went to war. It was his (Mansons) job to start the race war.

I didn't know till recently that Charles Manson interpreted Beatles songs as agreeing with his insane beliefs before his cult murdered all those people. 

Yeah, I read somewhere that he did something like wrote the lyrics to one song on someone's wall.

edit: http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/manson/mansonbeatles.html

Happened all the time with people reading into the lyrics. Watched a Lennon documentary once, they were just filming inside his house then he gets a knock on the door and it's some person wanting to know why they were writing about him. Lennon was saying "I don't even know you, I'm just a guy" lol

Edited by Fox92

• 9 months later...

Bit like Pearson.

A bit like everything!

I'd rather chop my ears off than listen to thrash metal and I'd probably rather eat a Kangeroo knacker than a piece of cheese, but if someone loves it there isn't much point in trying to tell them they are wrong.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Picked up NME last week and they did a "100 greatest Beatles edition" with contributions from the musicians they influenced (quite a range too, there was contributions from Johnny Marr, Shaun Ryder, Lemmy...). 

Anyway, learnt a few new things myself. Didn't realise the Bealtes invented the double A-side with "Day Tripper" and "We Can Work It Out". Of course I knew it was a double A-side but I didn't know it was the very first. Was a good read anyway, the order was quite questionable though. "Hide Your Love Away", "Yer Blues" and "Day Tripper" were all ranked at above 45.

Picked up NME last week and they did a "100 greatest Beatles edition" with contributions from the musicians they influenced (quite a range too, there was contributions from Johnny Marr, Shaun Ryder, Lemmy...). 

Anyway, learnt a few new things myself. Didn't realise the Bealtes invented the double A-side with "Day Tripper" and "We Can Work It Out". Of course I knew it was a double A-side but I didn't know it was the very first. Was a good read anyway, the order was quite questionable though. "Hide Your Love Away", "Yer Blues" and "Day Tripper" were all ranked at above 45.

Yer Blues is one of their best IMO

• 2 weeks later...

The thing I admire the most about the Beatles is how they completely revolutionised music, although they of course had their own influences they paved the way to what we now know as modern music. Four very ordinary young lads who became global icons because of their incredible natural talents. I'm only 23 so can't really appreciate how the 60s music scene was completely changed but it must have been absolutely insane how they dominated the charts.

I agree to an extent with some saying they weren't magnificent performers but their contribution to music goes far far deeper than that IMO

• Like 1

The thing I admire the most about the Beatles is how they completely revolutionised music, although they of course had their own influences they paved the way to what we now know as modern music. Four very ordinary young lads who became global icons because of their incredible natural talents. I'm only 23 so can't really appreciate how the 60s music scene was completely changed but it must have been absolutely insane how they dominated the charts.

I agree to an extent with some saying they weren't magnificent performers but their contribution to music goes far far deeper than that IMO

Did they actually have that much influence though? Robert Johnson had come and invented blues rock, which paved the way for the yardbirds, through led zeppelin and into metal. Elvis and chuck berry had turned rock and roll into something huge. At best their influence on music styles is that of the boy band - their contributions to the musical landscape was to create a platform for the likes of backstreet boys and boyzone - they did little more than establish that music could be a marketing tool.

Did they actually have that much influence though? Robert Johnson had come and invented blues rock, which paved the way for the yardbirds, through led zeppelin and into metal. Elvis and chuck berry had turned rock and roll into something huge. At best their influence on music styles is that of the boy band - their contributions to the musical landscape was to create a platform for the likes of backstreet boys and boyzone - they did little more than establish that music could be a marketing tool.

Songs like Helter Skelter were early versions of metal. Their music was very different, they covered a lot of genres. They invented a lot of stuff - the double A-side, the speakers on the stage, singing backwards, guitar feedback on a record (way before Hendrix and the Who) etc - they were pioneers and regardless of whether you like the Beatles or not you cannot deny it.

Technically, listen to songs like Ticket to Ride and We Can Work It Out and it's unbelievable. I love how We Can Work It Out is fast but the middle eight is slowed down it's genius.

About right here, ask anyone who was in a Mersey beat band at the time, they'll say there were far better bands around but the Beatles had the break you need, the image, sharp suits, short catchy songs but were a boy band, boyzone, take that etc of their era.

Bands like the stones and the who were more rock bands, the Beatles were singing about holding girls hands.

The stones wouldn't sing a song like that.

The stones sang about painting a door black.

Still a very good band and part of sixties music but I wouldn't say the best, up there though.

About right here, ask anyone who was in a Mersey beat band at the time, they'll say there were far better bands around but the Beatles had the break you need, the image, sharp suits, short catchy songs but were a boy band, boyzone, take that etc of their era.

Bands like the stones and the who were more rock bands, the Beatles were singing about holding girls hands.

The stones wouldn't sing a song like that.

The stones sang about painting a door black.

Still a very good band and part of sixties music but I wouldn't say the best, up there though.

Most bands sing about girls. That's how it's always been. Bands usually start with girls then move on. The Bealtes, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones. They all did it. Didn't the Rolling Stones release records such as "I wanna be your man' (ironically written by Lennon and McCartney) and "Ruby Tuesday" although their songs became more deeper though still about women, for instance "Stray Cay Blues" and "Satisfaction"? 

If you think the whole Beatles catalogue is about women that'd be incorrect. They moved on from little pop songs, circa 1966 when they released Revolver. From that album onwards they changed and their music became more complex. You can't doubt their influence either, it's massive.

Edited by Fox92