Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
rico

The Beatles

In the late 50s early 60s the charts were filled with American male solo 'pop' stars like

Frankie Avalon

Dion

Bobby Darin

Pat Boone

Ricky Nelson

Paul Anka

Bobby Rydell

Johnny Tillotson

Bobby Vee

Bobby Vinton

etc

Clean cut yanks singing mushy ballads that were there to pacify the American mid west who weren't that keen on the likes of Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry and the early Elvis.

Even Elvis and British artists like Cliff, Marty Wilde had followed the American Trend and gone all soft.

When the Beatles burst on to the scene they got the same reaction in England that the likes of JLL, LR & CB got in America they were campaigns by the middle classes to have them banned at every opportunity.

Their influence was not just musical but cultural changing the whole tone of the music and fashion industries and opened up the way for bands like the Rolling Stones pllenty of whom took delight at cocking a snoop at the establishment and were major contributors to the death of Tin Pan Alley and the British equivalent Denmark St with their self penned songs.

Of course some of the 60s bands did get success by having a 'boy band' type image with clean looks and mushy music but as someone who spent their early teens listening to that list of American male singers there's no doubt in my mind the impact that the Beatles made. 

• Like 4

In the late 50s early 60s the charts were filled with American male solo 'pop' stars like

Frankie Avalon

Dion

Bobby Darin

Pat Boone

Ricky Nelson

Paul Anka

Bobby Rydell

Johnny Tillotson

Bobby Vee

Bobby Vinton

etc

Clean cut yanks singing mushy ballads that were there to pacify the American mid west who weren't that keen on the likes of Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry and the early Elvis.

Even Elvis and British artists like Cliff, Marty Wilde had followed the American Trend and gone all soft.

When the Beatles burst on to the scene they got the same reaction in England that the likes of JLL, LR & CB got in America they were campaigns by the middle classes to have them banned at every opportunity.

Their influence was not just musical but cultural changing the whole tone of the music and fashion industries and opened up the way for bands like the Rolling Stones pllenty of whom took delight at cocking a snoop at the establishment and were major contributors to the death of Tin Pan Alley and the British equivalent Denmark St with their self penned songs.

Of course some of the 60s bands did get success by having a 'boy band' type image with clean looks and mushy music but as someone who spent their early teens listening to that list of American male singers there's no doubt in my mind the impact that the Beatles made.

I wish I could've written that.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to do the magical mystery tour in Liverpool between the everton/liverpool games :)

I actually watched Magical Mystery Tour for the first time in ages last week.

Love it. Although they must have been on drugs when they wrote it/come up with the idea. It's so strange and random, and of course 'I Am The Walrus' is performed too which in itself has some weird but clever lyrics.

I actually watched Magical Mystery Tour for the first time in ages last week.

Love it. Although they must have been on drugs when they wrote it/come up with the idea. It's so strange and random, and of course 'I Am The Walrus' is performed too which in itself has some weird but clever lyrics.

I watched it last year and it's just ridiculous  lol Wasn't really my sort of thing.

woolton village yeah. went to the primary school that john met paul on got baptised in the church that they played their first set in and that eleanor rigby's buried in (bob paisley too) etc etc. 

that magical mystery tour bus is the nemesis of everyone who wants to drive up church road, it takes up the whole road and stops right in the middle lol 

• Like 1

Probably their biggest strength is how Everything they did was catchy as all get out. Even their weirdy, hippy trippy psychadelic stuff, which i should hate by all rights, is so impossibly infectious that you can't help but sing along.

They made every genre 'accessible' which is no small feat in itself.

There has never been a better way to spend 15 minutes, than listening to the Medley. You Never Give Me Your Money - Her Majesty

The medley, plus I Want You (She's So Heavy) are stand-outs from that album. White Album is my favourite album but Abbey Road is a close 2nd

How did they go about trying to play Revolution 9 live

They played that out to, and then in from, the interval... i think it was the only track out of sequence and im pretty sure the orchestra didnt play all the way through but it was the best way to manage it. 

Edited by ozleicester

The medley, plus I Want You (She's So Heavy) are stand-outs from that album. White Album is my favourite album but Abbey Road is a close 2nd

There's so many of my favourite tracks on Abbey Road.

I Want You (She's So Heavy) is so good, the meanest guitar sound!

She Came In Through The Bathroom Window

Not Forgetting Macca's Vocals on Oh! Darling

There's so many of my favourite tracks on Abbey Road.

I Want You (She's So Heavy) is so good, the meanest guitar sound!

She Came In Through The Bathroom Window

Not Forgetting Macca's Vocals on Oh! Darling

The record is so good that you haven't even mentioned 'Come Together', 'Something' or 'Here Comes The Sun' Yet. 

There are a lot of Beatles album tracks that are just as good as their singles. Think about stuff like 'In My Life', 'You've Got To Hide Your Love Away' and 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'.

The record is so good that you haven't even mentioned 'Come Together', 'Something' or 'Here Comes The Sun' Yet. 

There are a lot of Beatles album tracks that are just as good as their singles. Think about stuff like 'In My Life', 'You've Got To Hide Your Love Away' and 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'.

Not to mention 'Don't Let Me Down' which was a friggin' B-Side!

Not to mention 'Don't Let Me Down' which was a friggin' B-Side!

Exactly! 

'Get Back'/'Don't Let Me Down' could have been a double-A side like many of their singles. Even 'I Am The Walrus' was a B-side!