Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

The Smiths

I've had the pleasure of receiving a master class from Johnny Marr whilst at uni. He is such a top bloke, spoke of everything including his time in the smiths. Listened to my friends band play and offered fantastic feedback. I also got his plectrum as I had nothing for him to sign. Really nice bloke.

Damn, I was looking forward to that.

He's under pressure for "mocking Thatcher and the Queen" after his Belfast gig lol

I was surprised how little he spoke inbetween songs when I went to see him, made some comment about the brit awards and Mcdonalds not very controversial.

I've had the pleasure of receiving a master class from Johnny Marr whilst at uni. He is such a top bloke, spoke of everything including his time in the smiths. Listened to my friends band play and offered fantastic feedback. I also got his plectrum as I had nothing for him to sign. Really nice bloke.

Marr was doing an album signing for his first solo album up here in Manchester and I didn't go. Still wish I did. Met a couple of people who went and they said he was a top man, and managed to grab a picture with him etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Marr cracked me up on twitter... He tweeted about politics, someone replied "UKIP all the way" and Marr replied "unfollow me **** fvck sake" lol lol

There was also a good article by NME about political music dying. Marr was speaking in that. Do agree in a way, music should be used and artists don't seem to write politically anymore. Dylan did it, The Jam, The Smiths, Sex Pistols but nowadays?

Marr cracked me up on twitter... He tweeted about politics, someone replied "UKIP all the way" and Marr replied "unfollow me **** fvck sake" lol lol

There was also a good article by NME about political music dying. Marr was speaking in that. Do agree in a way, music should be used and artists don't seem to write politically anymore. Dylan did it, The Jam, The Smiths, Sex Pistols but nowadays?

It was/would be Russell Brand with a nice tune. Anyone whose opinions are shaped by a song is pretty shallow tbf.

I'm going to this instead.  I'm not taking the piss, I actually am.

http://www.rescuerooms.com/gig-guide/1510/mexico-goes-morrissey

I'm only not going to his actual gig because it's too expensive and I hate arenas.  I'd have no problem with the set, as it draws heavily on the latest album which I love

I went to this and thought it was ace!!

Panico was brilliant

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some might find this interesting, info on the smiths sleeve covers.

http://www.nme.com/photos/the-smiths-the-stories-behind-all-27-of-their-provocative-album-and-single-sleeves/384620?utm_campaign=nme-august-10-10-08-2015&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

when music was something you could actually touch. ;)

Edited by purpleronnie

I always found it strange how they never used their faces like most artists do, yet when they split Morrissey started using his face on the cover.

RE 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now' is the song not about Viv Nicholson? I knew she's on the sleeve because I've got that single.

The effort that went into the aesthetics was one of the things about their appeal, I think.  The records were always very noticeable in the shops and the sleeves imprinted on my brain long before I was ever really a fan.

Here's a really good out of print book that unless you've got a lot of cash you must simply hope turns up in a charity shop for 50p:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Peepholism-Into-Morrissey-Jo-Slee/dp/028306210X

I always found it strange how they never used their faces like most artists do, yet when they split Morrissey started using his face on the cover.

RE 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now' is the song not about Viv Nicholson? I knew she's on the sleeve because I've got that single.

I think he was probably just after a change in style to separate his solo career from what had gone before.  This is a man who wasn't averse to wearing a t-shirt with his own face on, after all.

tumblr_mpof12OQWj1snvs3ro1_400.jpg

• Like 1

The effort that went into the aesthetics was one of the things about their appeal, I think.  The records were always very noticeable in the shops and the sleeves imprinted on my brain long before I was ever really a fan.

Here's a really good out of print book that unless you've got a lot of cash you must simply hope turns up in a charity shop for 50p:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Peepholism-Into-Morrissey-Jo-Slee/dp/028306210X

I think he was probably just after a change in style to separate his solo career from what had gone before.  This is a man who wasn't averse to wearing a t-shirt with his own face on, after all.

tumblr_mpof12OQWj1snvs3ro1_400.jpg

Thanks for that, I'll buy a copy...in paper back of course.