Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

The Smiths

Sat in an Australian Steakhouse Diner in Orlando having dinner with the family this evening on holiday. "This Charming Man" blares out on the speakers and I start singing along. Look around and there's half a dozen forty something Dads like me doing just the same. Quality.

• 2 weeks later...

The Jam> The Smiths

Wrong wrong wrong

All opinions of course. I am a massive Jam fan too.

Choosing between them both is tough, but they were both bands that actually stood for something. A lot of political songs in both of their back catalogs. 

• 2 weeks later...

Housemartins > Smiths  :whistle:

That is like saying: 

A plate of steaming dog shit > Pizza. 

Unless your lactose intolerant of course, and it's completely understandable. 

That is like saying: 

A plate of steaming dog shit > Pizza. 

Unless your lactose intolerant of course, and it's completely understandable. 

Housemartins aren't shit though.

They're not as good as the Smiths for me, but they are still another of my favourite bands.

Edited by Fox92

• 3 weeks later...

Fox92 might want to look away given his tory leanings.

http://www.nme.com/news/johnny-marr/88903?utm_campaign=nme-october-9-09-10-2015&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

Johnny Marr slams David Cameron for 'inhuman' treatment of disabled people during Manchester gig

2013JohnnyMarrAAF061213.article_x4.jpgAaron Farley/NME
Photo: Aaron Farley/NME

Johnny Marr used his hometown show this week to air criticism of British Prime Minister David Cameron.

Marr is currently on a UK headline tour, playing two consecutive nights this week at Manchester’s Albert Hall on Wednesday and Thursday (October 7 and 8). Cameron has also been in Manchester for the Conservative Party conference.

During Wednesday's show, Marr labelled Cameron's cuts for disability funding as "inhuman" after it was recently reported that the Tories plan to cut disabled benefits by £30 a week.

"Hello Mr Cameron, it's Johnny Boy. You know Johnny, from The Smiths - that band you like so much. No, not 'Going Underground', 'This Charming Man'...etc etc," Marr said during the gig.

"Seeing as you're in our city I'd just like to ask you about the Brentwood school for disabled children in South Manchester. I want to ask you why autistic children between [the ages] 16 and 19 have had school buses cut because of your cutbacks. Do you know what it means for an autistic girl to have to get on a public bus to go to school every single ****ing day?"

Marr continued: "It is inhuman. This is not fair. This is not the way we want to do things in Manchester, whether you are a red or a blue, a Tory or if you are Labour. We don't do things like that up here, Mr Cameron, because we are fair and we're Mancunians."

Marr proceeded to dedicate a cover of The Primitives' 'Crash' to Cameron, singing: "Shut your mouth 'cos I'm not listening any how, I've had enough of you, enough to last a lifetime through".

Watch footage of the moment below.

Cameron and Marr have clashed in the past, with the guitarist saying that he "forbids" the Tory leader from liking his former band The Smiths.

Johnny Marr’s management company hinted earlier this week that they declined a request from David Cameron for free gig tickets.

Writing on Twitter, Marr’s management company Trust Management suggested that they had received a request for guest list tickets to one of Marr’s concerts from a "HIGH profile person who’s working in Manchester this week!!!"

Marr releases his new solo live album 'Adrenalin Baby'

=nme-october-9-09-10-2015&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter#8TmXBhstqJi6Qbgz.99

Hang on, I'm not a tory. No way. I'm from a Northern mining town do you really think I like tories!?  lol

Where has this come from?

Edited by Fox92

On another note, The Smiths have been nominated for the Rock 'n Roll hall of fame (at last!).

Hope they get it. But it'd be very interesting to see who turns up. Couldn't see them all going. (I think it happened with the Beatles where McCartney didn't turn up).

On another note, The Smiths have been nominated for the Rock 'n Roll hall of fame (at last!).

Hope they get it. But it'd be very interesting to see who turns up. Couldn't see them all going. (I think it happened with the Beatles where McCartney didn't turn up).

Can't see them as Hall Of Famers.

I like both Morrissey and Marr, right up until the point they voice an opinion on something or other.

Edited by DEMANN

Deep purple lol

Just had the live version of ' A crack on the head' blasting out, great song to get up and dance to...which I did, doing my best morrissey dancing....not to be mistaken for morris dancing.

Barbarism Begins At Home? There's a great live version of that on YouTube (live in Madrid?) with Marr and Morrissey dancing while Andy Rourke funks it up on bass. Seriously love the bass in that song.