Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Oasis

Proper Oasis geek in my time.

The one I'm most likely to listen to now is 'Falling Down' (honestly, Youtube it - it's a cracker). http://youtu.be/TEzmU7YSXJs?t=40s

Headshrinker is a great shout. Otherwise Supersonic, Bring It On Down, Fade In-Out (featuring Johnny Depp on guitar!), (It's Good) To Be Free.

They were brilliant, went off, but there was usually at least one gem per album...

(Because it's 'Get It On' by T.Rex!).

Ciggarettes and Alcohol is one of my favourites, I bet that sounds good live.

Certainly is that song but, just, better....

Personally I'd say they are the best British band of the last 30 years. Surprised at so many saying they are nonplussed by them

Personally I'd say they are the best British band of the last 30 years. Surprised at so many saying they are nonplussed by them

I've always kind of preferred Blur. It's all preference of course like with everything, but I think The Smiths are better as well (just within the 30 year mark).

Noel Gallagher is a good songwriter, a good British songwriter at that, but he gets on my nerves a bit... I do like Oasis, and wouldn't be too disappointed if they were still making music today. 

Agreed.

I've seen them live 6 times, and it's a mark of how good they are that, each time I've seen them, there's always been someone disappointed at a tune they've left out - they have such a huge back catalogue.

In fact, it's a mark of how good they are that The Masterplan album (Acquiesce, Masterplan, Talk Tonight, Rocking Chair, Half The World Away etc.) is a collection of B-sides. Every time I think about that, it blows my mind.

Any other band would have that album as their high watermark. For Oasis, it was their cast-offs.

It got a bit fashionable to hate Oasis I think. Yes they're a simple band but I absolutely love their music.

Favourite track is Morning Glory or Supersonic with far too many others as honourable mentions. An Oasis gig is something to experience too. As long as you like a drink and a sing along because they do get messy. Remember at the Etihad and at Wembley when '****in' in the Bushes' came on, I ended up a good 30 ft away from where I was initially standing. 

That said, their more recent albums have been pretty mediocre with the odd song being decent due to Noel's songwriting.

Favourite band, although over the years I have preferred to listen to Noel play acoustic versions (guess its old age) also love their live familiar to millions album.

Favourite tracks

1 Supersonic live

2 Live Forever live

3 Don't look back in Anger

4 Whatever live sung by Noel in Paris with Gem

5 Songbird live in Manchester

Definitely Maybe is an absolutely incredible album. Morning Glory's also top quality as is the Masterplan, after that it went a bit downhill as Noel Gallagher himself will admit. Few odd classics still from those days such as Little by Little, Importance of Being Idle and Guess God Thinks I'm Abel. I think if they'd split up after Be Here Now, they'd be regarded as one of the best bands ever.

I sort of liked Oasis, but found the whole Blur vs Oasis thing a bit ridiculous, then I saw them live at Reading in 2000, it was a toss up between them on the main stage and first album Muse headlining the radio 1 tent. So nearly went to see Muse, but thought I would probably never get to see Oasis again. I remember sitting down with some random people I had just met, sharing a joint and watching a massive storm roll in as Oasis blasted out the hits, it really was impressive slowly encroaching lightning bolts as the backdrop to the Gallagher brothers snarling away. Made me really appreciate how good they were.

Then they disappeared up their arse for a while, caught them again at Benicassim 9 years later, they were superb, the crowd were nuts. That was another festival marred by terrible weather, we got evicted from the campsite due to dangerous winds, had to sleep in the car, probably the most I've ever slept at Beni. In the morning I found my tent, that I had only bought recently, completely flattened when we were allowed to return. I had bought it for an overnight camping trip early that year, didn't get to sleep in it as my mate pulled and I found an empty condom wrapper in there in the morning, nice. Then the first night of Benicassim I was forced to sleep outside when I got back to my tent as a different mate of mine was getting his end away in my tent, I wasn't even sharing with him. The second night of the festival it get destroyed. Probably the worst investment I have ever made. 2 of my mates disagree.

Anyway, back to Oasis, best track Live Forever.

Edited by Captain Pancake Face

Obsessed with um I don't mind saying. My boy is named Liam for a reason although the Mrs denies he was named after him !!

Rockin Chair, slide away and Columbia get notable mentions but I could make a case for 20/30 of their songs

Huge Oasis fan. Slide Away is my favourite song of all time.

Top 5 would be...

1. Slide Away

2. Rockin' Chair

3. Fade In Out

4. Live Forever

5. Morning Glory

It could have all been so much different if they hadn't released Standing on the Shoulders of Giants, but from that point it was below par and they never really broke any more barriers apart from more massive gigs. Say what you like about them, but the music scene really misses a band like them who didn't give a **** and were true rock stars.

Simi, on 29 Jan 2014 - 09:47 AM, said:

Top 5 would be...

1. Slide Away

2. Rockin' Chair

3. Fade In Out

4. Live Forever

5. Morning Glory

It could have all been so much different if they hadn't released Standing on the Shoulders of Giants, but from that point it was below par and they never really broke any more barriers apart from more massive gigs. Say what you like about them, but the music scene really misses a band like them who didn't give a **** and were true rock stars.

Agree with that.

Top 5 would be...

1. Slide Away

2. Rockin' Chair

3. Fade In Out

4. Live Forever

5. Morning Glory

I agree. Still some good bands around but it all feels so manufactured

Was fortunate enough to see them for one of the last times together at Wembley in 2009. Favourite song toss up between Champagne supernova & Cigarettes & Alcohol.

Me and 3 friends went over to Barcelona a couple of years ago with tickets to see High Flying Birds. Copious amounts of tequila & Spanish girls meant unfortunately we didn't make it to the gig.