Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Oasis

Refreshingly honest from Noel as usual saying the only reason he'd do it is for the money.

Part of me would love it but as Babs said, the last couple of times I saw them it wasn't particularly enjoyable. Not overly because they were shit (although they certainly didnt have the energy in performance they did pre Finsbury Park) but the people who were there really were fvcking idiots.

Massive groups of grown men desperately trying to out lad each other. Endless squaring up and handbags in the crowd and blokes pissing in the sinks in the toilet.

Just rank.

Liam's voice is shot...or at least was the last time i heard him sing.  Having said that I would probably go if they played indoor arenas, which they probably won't.

Massive Oasis fan but not arsed about the reunion talk at all.

It all got very boring by the time DOYS came out (although the album was ok). Liam's voice was getting unlistenable, the setlist's were the same and they all looked like they didn't give a shit.

It's only been 6 years

Also the 'songwriting democracy' thing they did from 02 onwards was dire. It was done all wrong. They did it so rigidly, 5/6 from Noel, 3 from Liam, 1 from Andy and 1 from Gem regardless of who had the better songs. It would have been better if say Noel was writing the whole album as usual but if the other members brought a song to the table which added something to the album or was better than what Noel had then it goes on the record not just doing it for the sake of it. The Beatles had a great way of doing it, Lennon/McCartney write the bulk but if Harrison (or even Ringo) had a good song which added somthing it went on the album, if he had 2 or 3 they also went on the album. It wasn't a set number    

Massive Oasis fan but not arsed about the reunion talk at all.

It all got very boring by the time DOYS came out (although the album was ok). Liam's voice was getting unlistenable, the setlist's were the same and they all looked like they didn't give a shit.

It's only been 6 years

Also the 'songwriting democracy' thing they did from 02 onwards was dire. It was done all wrong. They did it so rigidly, 5/6 from Noel, 3 from Liam, 1 from Andy and 1 from Gem regardless of who had the better songs. It would have been better if say Noel was writing the whole album as usual but if the other members brought a song to the table which added something to the album or was better than what Noel had then it goes on the record not just doing it for the sake of it. The Beatles had a great way of doing it, Lennon/McCartney write the bulk but if Harrison (or even Ringo) had a good song which added somthing it went on the album, if he had 2 or 3 they also went on the album. It wasn't a set number

If that was the case there must have been some real dogshit songs that were going to go on Abbey Road if Octopuses Garden got on it!

If that was the case there must have been some real dogshit songs that were going to go on Abbey Road if Octopuses Garden got on it!

A song can bring something different to an album without it actually being a great song in a traditional sense. No doubt the other three had 'better' songs to offer but Octopuses Garden serves a fantastic purpose on Abbey Road, it's the light before the dark of I Want You (She's So Heavy), it's the reminder that they still have a sense of humour despite all the inner turmoil in the band. I can't imagine Abbey Road without Octopuses Garden nor do I want to, I never skip it and quite enjoy it for what it is,

Whereas can I imagine DOYS without Aint Got Nothing and Nature of Reality? Damn ****ing right I can. The LAG tunes on a whole sound generally sound like an Oasis tribute band. They offer nothing new and add absolutely nothing positive (without a few exceptions from Liam on HC).

My point is could Lennon, McCartney or Harrison written a tune so whimsical and innocent as Octopuses Garden at that time? Probably not. Therefore Ringo brought something different. Could Noel have written a basic 3 minute rock song to fill space better than LAG, of course he could have. Those songs were only on there because of who wrote them not how they fitted the album   

A song can bring something different to an album without it actually being a great song in a traditional sense. No doubt the other three had 'better' songs to offer but Octopuses Garden serves a fantastic purpose on Abbey Road, it's the light before the dark of I Want You (She's So Heavy), it's the reminder that they still have a sense of humour despite all the inner turmoil in the band. I can't imagine Abbey Road without Octopuses Garden nor do I want to, I never skip it and quite enjoy it for what it is,

Whereas can I imagine DOYS without Aint Got Nothing and Nature of Reality? Damn ****ing right I can. The LAG tunes on a whole sound generally sound like an Oasis tribute band. They offer nothing new and add absolutely nothing positive (without a few exceptions from Liam on HC).

My point is could Lennon, McCartney or Harrison written a tune so whimsical and innocent as Octopuses Garden at that time? Probably not. Therefore Ringo brought something different. Could Noel have written a basic 3 minute rock song to fill space better than LAG, of course he could have. Those songs were only on there because of who wrote them not how they fitted the album

I get the light and shade argument if its related to live performance but personally I dont really see the need on an album (although completely respect your view on it).

To me that track is a blot on Abbey Road. If I wanted whimsical i'd listen to Chas and Dave.

Having said all that, after my first post it prompted me to listen to Abbey Road again which I havent done for ages.

Fvcking great album.

Edited by Bettsj2

• 4 months later...

Stunning debut album then the worst follow up.of all time, then got worse if that's possible.

Morning Glory wasn't a bad follow up? It's a good album, for me anyway, there's not many tracks I skip on there. "Don't look back in anger", "Roll with it", "Some might say", "She's electric"...

Morning Glory wasn't a bad follow up? It's a good album, for me anyway, there's not many tracks I skip on there. "Don't look back in anger", "Roll with it", "Some might say", "She's electric"...

The songs you mention are just middle of the road for me though. How they want from 'Supersonic' and 'Shakermaker' to 'Don't look back in anger' and 'Cast no Shadow' in 18 months is bizarre. I guess Noel Gallagher didn't give a shit as it made him a fortune though didn't it.
  • Like 1