Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wight88

Rock a boom records

Was walking through st martins square for the first time in yonks and noticed rock a booms no longer there. Has it closed down or moved elsewhere does anyone know? Remember it used to be on loseby lane and also Malcolm arcade before that.

Can confirm, it's in Malcolm Arcade. They didn't need the extra shop space anymore since the money comes from vinyl and so they've gotten rid of most of their CD stock. Bleu, wouldn't say their new selection has gotten any smaller, they just happen to have more 2nd hand choice too now, which is a good thing!

Also check out the new store over the way from them in the arcade, also have a decent selection of records.

Can confirm, it's in Malcolm Arcade. They didn't need the extra shop space anymore since the money comes from vinyl and so they've gotten rid of most of their CD stock. Bleu, wouldn't say their new selection has gotten any smaller, they just happen to have more 2nd hand choice too now, which is a good thing!

Also check out the new store over the way from them in the arcade, also have a decent selection of records.

That's great to hear :)wonder if it's the same unit they had in the late 80s when they had bright orange bags :) St Martins records was always my fave used to stock loads of rare early New Order and Joy Division stuff that I was heavily into at the time they were good for some of the more well known indie stuff as well like Smiths and Wedding Present etc.

Ainleys used to have a good range of 7" singles and seemed to have loads of Peel Sessions records across the whole indie/alternative spectrum as well, could also get early and rare stone roses/Mondays/inspirals/charlatans stuff at the time when the madchester scene started to pull in the townies. The Ainleys staff weren't really into any of it and one or two of them came across as knobheads.

Rock a boom was more obscure stuff and what bands I'd heard of were mainly through watching the indie chart rundown on the chart show on channel 4, this was before some of them became well known in later years like soup dragons, primal scream, loop, my bloody valentine, Danielle Dax etc. Glad it's still going anyway!

Many bands I've picked up simply by walking in to Rockaboom browse and hearing something that they were playing that I hadn't heard before and decided to buy it. :) This never happened in Ainsleys, which I agree with Wight88, whilst a decent selection, the staff knew nothing.

I went in on Saturday to say hello to Karl. He can be such a miserable bastard, I didn't stay long.

He certainly is. I took in about 200 CDs (mostly punk stuff, quite a lot of out-of-print stuff and special editions), he offered me £50 for the lot. Managed to get £60 after a bit of arguing but I couldn't have lifted them back to the car (parked at the old Phoenix, couldn't park nearer) so had to cut my losses.

Should have used Music Magpie

Archived