Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
indierich06

Realistic signings now we are up... (and some unrealistic ones)

So, we've already got a thread about potentially breaking our transfer record if (let's face it - when, not if) we go up this summer.

What targets would you be looking at if you were Pearson and Walsh?

I've said that I doubt we'll be going for much English talent as Pearson won't want to over-pay for average players. Anyone think we could sniff around a few relegated clubs? If Sunderland go down, I certainly wouldn't mind us going for Fletcher. Briggs from Fulham could be a good shout too. Don't think there's much point in dealing with Cardiff, purely because of that mentalist Tan, who'll try and recoup some of his ridiculous transfer fees.

Personally, I think we'll recruit a few players from overseas, none of whom we're likely to ever have heard of. Remember - Steve Walsh is the scout who was key in bringing in Drogba and Essien to Chelsea, and was scouting Lewandowski for City when he was still at Lech.

Very excited to see what happens this summer to say the least - it's nice to have such confidence in a manager and scouting team.

Expecting a couple of foreign gems from Walsh, perhaps 1 or 2 top-class championship players (Cresswell perhaps) then 1 or 2 experienced prem players, probably from the bottom half clubs we'll be competing against and relegated sides.

Never sure about cherry-picking the best players from teams that get relegated. I mean, they weren't good enough to stop their team get relegated right? I'd rather cherry-pick the best of teams that just missed out on promotion.

As the OP said, think there might be a Mahrez or Knockaert to come, or possibly from higher level as the attraction of the Premiership will help us get better players.

So, we've already got a thread about potentially breaking our transfer record if (let's face it - when, not if) we go up this summer.

What targets would you be looking at if you were Pearson and Walsh?

I've said that I doubt we'll be going for much English talent as Pearson won't want to over-pay for average players. Anyone think we could sniff around a few relegated clubs? If Sunderland go down, I certainly wouldn't mind us going for Fletcher. Briggs from Fulham could be a good shout too. Don't think there's much point in dealing with Cardiff, purely because of that mentalist Tan, who'll try and recoup some of his ridiculous transfer fees.

Personally, I think we'll recruit a few players from overseas, none of whom we're likely to ever have heard of. Remember - Steve Walsh is the scout who was key in bringing in Drogba and Essien to Chelsea, and was scouting Lewandowski for City when he was still at Lech.

Very excited to see what happens this summer to say the least - it's nice to have such confidence in a manager and scouting team.

Not a fan of Briggs and cannot stand fletcher, he's been touted in January as linked to clubs for 8m...

Overrated IMO rather give wood a run than sign him....

As for players we could sign I'm not sure.

If they are not on the transfer list or for sale clubs over value them,

Hope we sign vossen, possibly Anderson (however very unlikely to want to come here)

But I'd wait to see the summer transfer list to be honest to get some value

Never sure about cherry-picking the best players from teams that get relegated. I mean, they weren't good enough to stop their team get relegated right? I'd rather cherry-pick the best of teams that just missed out on promotion.

As the OP said, think there might be a Mahrez or Knockaert to come, or possibly from higher level as the attraction of the Premiership will help us get better players.

By that token, surely you wouldn't be interested in those players as they weren't good enough to get their team promoted?

Then again none of our players were individually good enough to stop that horrific run we had last season. Look at them now...

By that token, surely you wouldn't be interested in those players as they weren't good enough to get their team promoted?

Nah - it's far more likely that in those situations there are stand out players holding up the poor ones (IE, without those players maybe they would have finished mid-table or lower), where the ones getting relegated are just the best of a bad bunch. Is how I see it anyhow.

Would not be surprised in the slightest of Nick Powell came here.

That could be a very good shout, Bert, given our already extensive collection of ex-Man Utd youth players and the fact that striker is one of the positions we're most likely to strengthen, I'd have thought.

Would Man U want to sell, though? I suppose it might be done as a loan deal...

Is that purely (educated) guesswork or have you heard any rumours?

Would not be surprised in the slightest of Nick Powell came here.

Pace, great touch, reactions, excellent instinctive striker of the football.

Be surprised if United sell him this season but I'd have him at the club in a heartbeat!

Nah - it's far more likely that in those situations there are stand out players holding up the poor ones (IE, without those players maybe they would have finished mid-table or lower), where the ones getting relegated are just the best of a bad bunch. Is how I see it anyhow.

You could also say best players that are in relegated teams gave their all and are let down by their incompetent team-mates? Andrew Johnson of Crystal Palace got 20+ goals (mostly pens though) but his team-mates can't stop letting in goals hence Palace went down. Both approaches are workable.

Pace, great touch, reactions, excellent instinctive striker of the football.

Be surprised if United sell him this season but I'd have him at the club in a heartbeat!

If he comes it'll be on loan for sure.

If rumours about him and his lifestyle are true, I couldn't imagine Pearson going for a player like that.

Nigel gets on very well with Holloway and he doesn't have a bad word to say about Zaha, he even said he's a dream to work with. Certain players need to have an arm wrapped round them and told they are the best and Zaha is one of these. He's a player that if he's the big fish in the pond will be exceptional. Nigel has taken players before with supposed bad attitudes such as Cameron Stewart at Hull and got the best out of them.

Think we'll go for:

- a right footed winger - maybe a with less flair than the likes of Knocky and Mahrez.

- one striker to replace Nugent in the first team - probably out biggest spend.

- another central midfielder

- maybe another defender or two for cover.

Good job I'm not a scout/manager as I can only think of realistic players I wouldn't want!

Powell, Mutch and Zaha I'd welcome here with open arms. I think Pearson will go for some experienced Premiership players like he's done this season with Phillips, GTF and Hammond.

It'll be interesting to see what the likes of Terry (maybe), Lampard, Giggs, Distin (maybe) and J Cole, to name a few, do at the end of the season.

Will they stay at their current clubs or end up in the MLS for one last big payday? They probably won't come here but I'm thinking it's that kind of experience which Pearson might go for.

Looking at our squad only Kev Phillips and Konch have that sort of experience, but that's about it for several years of Premiership football.

Never sure on relegated players, going endlessly from one battle to another takes a toll on your mindset, surely?

There's a couple of Championship players who'd do well for us, Ings & McCormack the obvious two, Creswell too

Away from that I'd expect a couple of players from France to join us

Think we could do with an experienced Premiership CB though. Morgan is fantastic, Wasyl/Moore great in this division but we could need someone a class above although Moore is obviously the right age to improve so we may be ok.

With the right manager I dont see why darren bent wouldn't do a job

He will no doubt be on some tasty £££ though. he's had to work with about 5 managers this season. If he was number one here he could bang them in, he has everywhere else

Archived