Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DangerFox

Set pieces.....what's the issue?

We used to be a club that thrived on defending and attacking in set pieces. Times have changed and new managers bring new tactics etc.

That said, Pearson was a solid centre back, so why are we struggling to defend against set pieces. It can all be blamed on Kasper, Wes and A.Nother.........can it? Surely Pearson should be able to sort this out?

And as for attacking any set pieces, just watch the game tonight against Reading, we never seem to be able produce anything at the back end if this season from corners or floated in free kicks.

It's certainly an area where if we don't work on it, we'll get hurt by next year!

We don't look like scoring from set pieces, even when we win the header, you don't expect it to hit the target, same with defending them, when we win the header it doesn't get cleared, easily the biggest thing that needs working on over summer.

We're a short side, the tallest player we have can't jump, Wes can only head the ball in our own box, it seems Wasilewski bets on less than 2.5 goals every game and De Laet rarely looks bothered about heading it which is a shame because he's quite good aerially.

We just aren't very good in the air! It shows defensively as well. As previous poster mentioned we aren't even a tall side. You're right though, we need to sort it out big time before we play in the PL!

What annoys me is that we know we aren't a big side, yet we never try to do anything smart from corners or mix up positioning etc. It seems like the same attempt every single time.

The opposition just put a man on Kasper ans he never move form behind them to help deal with them.

We really need to work on these, especially for Premier League football. James does get more pace on them, but I hate the fact we always aim them at the back post. Morgan hardly wins the ball. We should be dropping them around the penalty spot imo, more pressure on the opposition goalkeeper as well (I know they get protected, mind).

What annoys me is that we know we aren't a big side, yet we never try to do anything smart from corners or mix up positioning etc. It seems like the same attempt every single time.

It's odd because they're so good at offensive corners in training. 100% success rate I've heard.  :ph34r:

When it comes to offensive corners I find we don't have enough people actually attacking the ball. If our player ever gets it it is from a corner it tends to be from a static jump where he can't get the power to put it in the net and it ends up looping to the goalkeeper or out for a throw in.

For most of this season we have been defensively sound, I just think it's a lack of concentration lately mixed in with fatigue

Agreed but it's still an option when required but for me and gives you more variety. I'm more worried about defending them. Scoring goals isn't an issue, especially as we're the highest scorers in the league. It's defending them that's letting goals in. Brighton and Blackburn most recently have taken full advantage!

The players just seem to crowd in one area and all run in the same direction, if we had a couple move to the front post, a couple to the back and sent them in with pace then maybe we could create havoc and pick up a loose ball.

Only relatively recently, which is why I think it comes down to a lack of concentration and fatigue

P.S any chance of a thread highlighting the many good things our team has done this season?

P.S. Yeah if you make your own. lol!

Only joking but all we are doing is highlighting and discussing. It's he whole reason people come back.

And to be fair there are threads which highlight how good we have been this season.

The players just seem to crowd in one area and all run in the same direction, if we had a couple move to the front post, a couple to the back and sent them in with pace then maybe we could create havoc and pick up a loose ball.

Exactly, it's all central.... and having seen our corners we should definitely have someone stood around the opposite corner flag.

Archived