Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
6ups 6downs 2 cups

in praise of gary coatsworth

Every now again there is a worst lcfc player thread and Gary coatsworth usually gets a mention. I've never understood that for 4 reasons .

1- it was his launch into orbit that landed on Steve Walsh's head at Wembley.

2- a stunning volley against Luton, one of the best goals you will see

3- a couple of goals away at Barnsley on our way to the play offs

4- fair play to anyone with such limited ability to at least make an impact

The worst LCFC players are surely those who contributed absolutely bugger all and worse to our club.Gary Coatsworth has an assist in a game where we beat Derby at Wembley to win promotion.

For that he should never ever feature in a worst lcfc eleven.

Josh Low on the other hand...

Hes my favourite ever player!!!

For months after that Luton goal everytime he had the ball fans shouted for him to shoot! He did once but the keeper made a great save to tip it over the bar! The guy was legend!

I liked him, in a team that had limited abilty like most of them he gave his all to the cause of lcfc.

That goal was an absolute cracking rocket of a shot.

A star buy from Darlington for £15000 if I recall, man we used to spend with the big boys then! Did he arrive with a Jimmy Willis( who got some unfair stick back then) and another, Trotter was it? Good cult player though, I loved the forfoxsake fanzine story on him!

Every now again there is a worst lcfc player thread and Gary coatsworth usually gets a mention. I've never understood that for 4 reasons .

1- it was his launch into orbit that landed on Steve Walsh's head at Wembley.

That was no launch into orbit, it was a forty five yard pass with pin point accuracy. Beckham modelled his passing game on Coatsworth's after seeing that and if he had ever achieved such a glorious pass they would still be talking about it now.

I was there, old mainstand. That was just after Luton had pulled off a shock in the FA Cup too. Amazing strike.

I thought old main stand had been pulled down by then?

Surely no-one who followed Leicester back then would ever dream of putting Gary Coatsworth in a worst XI.

The cracking goals he scored against Barnsley and Luton have already been mentioned. But he also played a crucial part at the end of the 93/94 season when promotion was finally secured against Derby.

Throughout that season City suffered a major injury crisis with most of the senior players being sidelined for long periods. To get into the play-offs and eventually win them, they cobbled together an unbeaten run of 12 matches, 8 of which were draws, culminating in the Wembley win. The heroes of this campaign were not the established players like Walsh, Mills, Thompson, Joachim, Agnew, Hill, Smith, Joachim, Roberts and Speedie, all of whom were injured for most of it.

Instead, into the breach stepped a number of obscure, hitherto unsung journeymen footballers like Jimmy Willis, Paul Kerr, Phil Gee, Ian Ormondroyd, Mark Blake and Colin Gibson, who somehow got us over the line that year. Gary Coatsworth was one of those players and in fact played in 9 of the 12 unbeaten matches, including the 2 play-off semis against Tranmere and the final itself. 

A true LCFC legend in my opinion.

Surely no-one who followed Leicester back then would ever dream of putting Gary Coatsworth in a worst XI.

The cracking goals he scored against Barnsley and Luton have already been mentioned. But he also played a crucial part at the end of the 93/94 season when promotion was finally secured against Derby.

Throughout that season City suffered a major injury crisis with most of the senior players being sidelined for long periods. To get into the play-offs and eventually win them, they cobbled together an unbeaten run of 12 matches, 8 of which were draws, culminating in the Wembley win. The heroes of this campaign were not the established players like Walsh, Mills, Thompson, Joachim, Agnew, Hill, Smith, Joachim, Roberts and Speedie, all of whom were injured for most of it.

Instead, into the breach stepped a number of obscure, hitherto unsung journeymen footballers like Jimmy Willis, Paul Kerr, Phil Gee, Ian Ormondroyd, Mark Blake and Colin Gibson, who somehow got us over the line that year. Gary Coatsworth was one of those players and in fact played in 9 of the 12 unbeaten matches, including the 2 play-off semis against Tranmere and the final itself. 

A true LCFC legend in my opinion.

Good post Sir.

Decent squad player, hard as nails. Played in the play off final v Derby when he was clearly injured.

Never played after that, think that game did him in for good.

Total commitment, the odd wonder goal. Very fond memories of the Coat. Top man

Archived