Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot

Will Big Nige get the sack if we're in the bottom 3 at Christmas?

Can't believe the outpouring of negativity on here because of a few below par performances. If these 'fans' are so willing to call for the cull of the squad because of it

Sorry, but where is this outpouring and negativity? Where is everyone asking for a cull of players?

All I've seen is people moaning about set pieces, saying we'll need a decent centre back (we will) and that players like Hammond, GTF, Phillips aren't really up to scratch for the premier league (be honest they aren't).

I'm one of the first to call people up on over the top negativity, but mostly it's been a fair appraisal of areas we need to improve. We're up, celebrations have happened, opinions have already turned to next season and improving what we have.

Do people moaning at the moaners think all is ok and we can just go into the premier league with the team we have? We're going to need some quality buys and some players, the more average of the group will not be making the 18, that's what happens.

Your only as good as your players ??

'Key areas need strengthening'. in nige I trust .

We have been far and wide the best team in this league all season. We added championship experience to the group this year . Sorry but I believe these are not good enough for the step up ? (The experience )

Its a 25 man squad in the premier league , so if we sign quality I'd expect them to start not make up the squad the rest of players will do that?

We need to remember the premier league has changed ? But so have we ? We now have the ground, training facilities and a rich owner ?

Why all the doom and gloom ? 38 points is all that's required lol

The sensible thing to do would be to replace Nigel now- it would be a brave decision but bringing in a manager like Magath or Pochettino would give us a realistic chance to stay in the Premier League - If we start OK then NP might last to Xmas but realistically we will struggle and his record on turning around a bad run is not impressive. Emotional though it would be, it is the right decision to go for someone who has Premier League pedigree or who has performed well in stronger leagues than that - Spain or Germany perhaps.

Southampton Palace and Stoke have all benefitted from manager changes that seemed wrong on an emotional level and Fulham, while looking a bit of a joke, should have sacked Jol earlier, panicked with his replacement and now have an outside chance of survival with Magath. If we stick with NP we are in danger of becoming another Reading rather than seizing our moment and building something sustainable....don't think NP will make the step up I'm afraid

The sensible thing to do would be to replace Nigel now- it would be a brave decision but bringing in a manager like Magath or Pochettino would give us a realistic chance to stay in the Premier League - If we start OK then NP might last to Xmas but realistically we will struggle and his record on turning around a bad run is not impressive. Emotional though it would be, it is the right decision to go for someone who has Premier League pedigree or who has performed well in stronger leagues than that - Spain or Germany perhaps.

Southampton Palace and Stoke have all benefitted from manager changes that seemed wrong on an emotional level and Fulham, while looking a bit of a joke, should have sacked Jol earlier, panicked with his replacement and now have an outside chance of survival with Magath. If we stick with NP we are in danger of becoming another Reading rather than seizing our moment and building something sustainable....don't think NP will make the step up I'm afraid

troll-doll.jpg

It really depends on so many factors, as I have said in these threads before, if we look a clueless mess who have given up already, and NP is stubbornly playing the same players in the same way that are failing week in week out, and leaving the £6m striker on the bench in favour of Nugent, who hasn't looked like scoring all season, and refusing to strengthen the squad in Jan, in some misguided loyalty to the players, then we may have to consider it.

If we are fighting to the end in every game, and just lacking a little in quality and experience, but giving it a good go, taking the fight to the bigger teams but losing due to bad luck and a difference in class, but there is still that promise and spark in there, then I would back him, even to get relegated and come back stronger, at the start of last season we were playing really well but not getting the points, I saw so much promise and potential in that side that it gave me the confidence to back NP and the side he was creating, despite some poor results.

Whilst NP has done very well, it would be ridiculous to suggest there his job is 100% safe and there is nothing he could do that would lead to him getting the sack next season, relegation is not the end of the world, but the danger is the demoralising effect of getting tonked every week and losing our best players at the end of the season if we go down.

So how about this, ask me again at Christmas if he should be sacked.

No chance, he'll lay his plans down for the next 3 years and only sign a contract if he can carry out those plans, much in the same way he probably did when we poached him back from hull, who indecently are doing quite well with a team that Nigel laid down the foundations for.

I think the Thais have the utmost respect for Pearson and i don't think his future at the club was in any doubt last year when we had a poor run. I think that was all about the press trying to create a story. He's done the job he has been employed to do and i doubt he'll be begging for a new contract at this club or any other.

We should judge him in another 3 years, not half way through a season that hasn't even started.

Nige shown last summer that he new exactly what was required.

He assessed the previous season and bought in a bit of experience and some strength in depth.

He'll know exactly what we need for next season and if he doesn't get that right first time he'll get it right the season after.

For me ..... 

2 centre halves, pacey and tall.

A proven premier league centre forward.

A centre mid to add competition for James / Drinky

These will be £5 - £10m players so will substantially improve the squad and make it fit for the PL. Nige will know this and a lot more.

I honestly doubt we'll be in the bottom 3 at any stage next season.

Or we could end up like Cardiff. Mackay was keeping their head above water, now they're sinking like a stone. Lambert did well with Norwich when they came up, now after chopping and changing they're going to go down. Clark did fantastically at West Brow (Never managed in prem before.) They have now brought in a successful foreign coach and been absolutely shite since. Adkins did well for Southampton and would have kept them up. Pearson deserves at least a solid crack at keeping us in this division, and build from there. 

I know you're just trolling, well I hope you are?. Please tell me you are?!

I know you're just trolling, well I hope you are?. Please tell me you are?!

Seriously not - we are going to keep Nigel as an emotional response to his achievements this year - we will not have a better chance to build a Premier League team than this season and he has no knowledge of how to do this - we could take a chance on him getting it right but we all accept the need for better players in the Prem , why not a better manager?

He has been well rewarded financially for this season (and last actually) and would easily get another job in the championship so like any business that has just won a bigger contract, the owners should make their decisions based on the well being of the business and eliminate as much risk as possible - controversial yes but damn good sense

Guest MattP

I'm pleased seenitall thinks Nigel won't do the business in the top flight.

Makes me even more confident he'll be fine.

Seriously not - we are going to keep Nigel as an emotional response to his achievements this year - we will not have a better chance to build a Premier League team than this season and he has no knowledge of how to do this - we could take a chance on him getting it right but we all accept the need for better players in the Prem , why not a better manager?

He has been well rewarded financially for this season (and last actually) and would easily get another job in the championship so like any business that has just won a bigger contract, the owners should make their decisions based on the well being of the business and eliminate as much risk as possible - controversial yes but damn good sense

Damn good sense? Who would you go for then to guarantee us being absolutely fine?

Wouldn't even sack him if we went down.

Who better to get you back up than a man who has won two titles and finished top 6 in every full season he has had?

Very much this.

4 full seasons in charge:

• 2 promotions (could well be 2 1st place finishes)

• 2 play-off finishes

That is a great stat, and one which shows we have got the right man for the job. He should be given as long as he wants to be in charge, barring a sustained disaster (eg. 2 back-to-back relegations)

So, even if I believed Nige could walk us into the play offs (I don't I think we'll struggle), getting to them is merely a consolation prize and I think the best way to go up is to borrow or buy the best players you can attract and manage them effectively - we can't attract decent players anymore, none of Niges signings have made any kind of showing in the Premier League and sadly I don't believe they ever will play there.

Where do you get all these conclusions? Keeping Pearson isn't an "an emotional response to his achievements this year". He's a brilliant manager who has got us promoted twice, and to playoffs twice, and he built the core of the Dull team which is doing OK in the Prem, and is in the Cup Final. Keeping him is a businesslike response to his achievements over the past five years.

How do you know how well rewarded Pearson has been? And what business would sack their COO just when he has just won them a major contract?

I seem to recall that you were calling for Pearson to be sacked at the end of last season. Thank christ the owners have more common sense.

I really hope we don't. Would be a huge step back to the short-termist attitude this club had developed, and only really this summer proved we'd overcome.

The good thing is I don't think we will be in that position anyway. The best bit about our journey to promotion is the amount we've learned along the way and I think that's the reason we'll stay up.

Other than his posts being outlandish.

I very nearly put that lol

I can actually see what he's getting at slightly, I just strongly disagree that we'd be any better off with one of these 'names' than we would with Pearson, and I mean strongly.

I have now 'seen it all'

Dear oh dear

Archived