Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tom's Pasta

Has Pearson ever made a bad signing?

Guest MattP

I still the Bakayoko deal was an early message to the fans of "don't expect anything big as we haven't got any money".

I think what makes a really bad signing is paying way too much, and/or persisting in playing him when there are better options on the bench.

None of those above were big money signings, I doubt any were over 500k (except Marshall, and he wasn't a bad signing, just not a great one), and none of them were really anything other than squad players or back-up. They were mainly young with promise that never really materialised.

The only one I would say was bad was signing Kane on loan and then playing him ahead of Vardy and Waghorn.

I'd only say Robbie Neilson. Most of the players mentioned (and Whitbread) so far Pearson realised they weren't quite upto it and saw limited playing time. 

Harry Kane might have worked if he'd given up playing Nugent and Wood together at the same time, we're still persisting with it now when Vardy isn't available but it just doesn't work.

Neilson Whitbread McGivern Bakayogo

N'Guessan Adjarevic Lingard

Kermorgant Futacs Kane

Can't think of a goalie he's signed!

That's being super harsh though. His record is excellent, and there was a logic behind most of those players. Neilson and Bakayogo were cover when funds were tight, Lingard, Kane and McGivern had burgeoning reputations, Whitbread and Futacs both good seasons before coming to us, Kermorgant would have probably been good for us if he hadn't made his own position untenable and N'Guessan wasn't actually that bad, just wasn't better than Gradel. The only truly mystifying one was Adjarevic.

I'd only say Robbie Neilson. Most of the players mentioned so far Pearson realised they weren't quite upto it and saw limited playing time. 

Harry Kane might have worked if he'd given up playing Nugent and Wood together at the same time, we're still persisting with it now when Vardy isn't available but it just doesn't work.

I think it is harsh to call him a bad signing, he was free and it was a position we needed improving, yes he was a limited player, and maybe we could have got better in, but with our limited budget it was a par signing. More importantly Nigel realised the error of his ways and he was replaced by Morrison for the second half of the season.

Neilson Whitbread McGivern Bakayogo

N'Guessan Adjarevic Lingard

Kermorgant Futacs Kane

Can't think of a goalie he's signed!

That's being super harsh though. His record is excellent, and there was a logic behind most of those players. Neilson and Bakayogo were cover when funds were tight, Lingard, Kane and McGivern had burgeoning reputations, Whitbread and Futacs both good seasons before coming to us, Kermorgant would have probably been good for us if he hadn't made his own position untenable and N'Guessan wasn't actually that bad, just wasn't better than Gradel. The only truly mystifying one was Adjarevic.

N'Guessan is massively harsh but that shows just how decent his record is in all honesty. Only poor Keeper I can think of is Tony Warner, but he only played about 5 games for us. Also signed David Martin, Chris Weale and Mark Bunn all of whom did a very good job with us, Weale for the first 18 months. 

Most of his poor signings have either been loans or players with potential to improve. Adams, N'Guessen, Verma, Ajdarevic, Kane, Keane, Marshall (I wouldn't agree but he's been mentioned a few times above) etc. They're all players who had the potential to do well but never quite fulfilled it with us. Some have gone on to be decent players elsewhere like Kermo, Lingaard, Kane so maybe his ability to get the best out of players should be questioned rather than his transfers?

The only bad thing about the Kennedy signing was that he never got a chance to play until Nige came back, when he did he proved an adequate Left back, some were even raving over his performances at one point. Was it the Palace game when he set-up a couple of goals?

We didn't really waste any money on him, and he proved cover when needed.

Ah was it Pearson who brought those players in? Couldn't remember which managed had all the loan keepers, in my head I only really remember Weale. Actually, was Ikeme Pearson or was that Sven?

Was Ikeme not a Sousa signing? Remember him making a howler when we won 2-1 against Cardiff under him. 

Kennedy wasn't great but we were in league 1 back then so the standards have changed since then.

TK was signed a couple of data before Nigel left for Hull and we were in the championship.

Still, not a bad signing by any means. Just unlucky with the situation

TK was signed a couple of data before Nigel left for Hull and we were in the championship.

Still, not a bad signing by any means. Just unlucky with the situation

Was hoping no one would notice that error from me lol 

But yeah I thought he was quite promising, I certainly wouldn't label him as a bad signing 

Gallagher wasn't that good but wasn't that bad under Pearson either. Agree we overpaid for him.

That said it was Sven (surprise surprise) who put him on the stupid wages. I'd argue that's a bigger mistake than signing him.

Ben Marshall was a poor signing. Mahrez is everything I hoped Marshall would be. On the plus side, we actually took in half decent money for him didn't we?

Who doesn't F up sometimes. What about Fergie?

1. Bébé: £7.4 million from Vitória de Guimarães

Bébé's insight into his relationship with Ferguson illustrates how badly his move worked out: "He told me to cut my hair, it will look better. So I cut it the same day. In the next training session, he didn't recognise me. I went past him many times and he didn't know me."

2. Ralph Milne: £170,000 from Bristol City

"I only paid £170,000 but still get condemned for it," says Ferguson. After leaving United, Ralph Milne never played professional football again.

3. Massimo Taibi: £4.5m from Venezia

Massimo Taibi made only four league appearances for United, but his howler against Southampton remains extremely popular on YouTube.

4. David Bellion: £3m from Sunderland

Manchester United have been involved in some controversial transfer activity. Ruud Van Nistelroy and Japp Stam might have warranted the reported stealth, but David Bellion did not.

5. Dong Fangzhou: £3.5m from Dalian Shide

He made one Premier League appearance, but may have sold some shirts in China.

6. Dimitar Berbatov: £30.75m from Tottenham Hotspur

United's most expensive signing of all time is still adored by fans, but Ferguson never worked out how to get the best from him.

7. Eric Djemba-Djemba: £3.5m from Nantes

The Cameroon player let his big move go to his head. He bought 10 4x4 cars, opened 30 bank accounts and ended up bankrupt.

8. Gabriel Obertan: £3m from Bordeaux

He excelled at running fast and stepping over the ball, but wasn't so good at kicking it.

9. Kléberson: £6.5m from Atlético Paranaense

He won the World Cup but made less of an impact at Old Trafford than David May.

10. Juan Sebastián Verón: £28m from Lazio

"He's a ****ing great player, and you're all ****ing idiots," reckoned Fergie.

11. Diego Forlán: £6.9m from Independiente

"He came from Uruguay, he made the Scousers cry." Unfortunately, he did little else.

Archived