Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tom's Pasta

Has Pearson ever made a bad signing?

Are you mental? He was a very good loan signing and most of us were hoping he would get a permanent deal.

I did not rate him at all. His win ratio for us must have been awful and it's no surprise to me that before and after his stint here we've looked brilliant, where as we lost most games with him in. Weak and overrated. 

Would people still be saying Kermorgant was a bad signing if he didn't miss the penalty?

Most our views of him are distorted by that one incident.

Still a bad signing in my opinion regardless of the penalty, made 20 appearances and only scored 1 goal.

No bad goalkeepers, but you could almost name a full squad...

Nielson

Bruce

McGivern

Kennedy

Lingard

Adjarevic

Adams

Kane

Futacs

Couldn't think of a second centre mid. That's being very harsh though, especially on Adams and Kennedy

Weird how a lot of those players still play at our level or higher though

Throw Kermo in there who has done well at this level. Just highlights the strength we have in the scouting system when he's been in charge.

McGivern

Kane

Lingard

Ajdarevic

Kermorgant

Bakayogo

Whitbread

All haven't worked out for one reason or another. We haven't persisted with them though and moved relatively quickly to improve on them.

People mentioning the likes of Connor Clifford and Aman Verma.

They were hardly bad signings, we wouldn't have paid a transfer fee for either of them, would have been on very cheap wages.

It's one of then where if it works great if it doesn't you've not lost anything. A bad signing is someone like Matt Mills, £5 million transfer fee and then massive wages.

I'd say Ben Marshall was one of the worst. Offered precious little when going forward bar the occasional wonder strike. He couldn't beat his man with pace or skill. His attitude was just awful and he was always surly and miserable. I remember at the open training session last season back he was moody as hell. Bad one for the dressing room.

I'd say Ben Marshall was one of the worst. Offered precious little when going forward bar the occasional wonder strike. He couldn't beat his man with pace or skill. His attitude was just awful and he was always surly and miserable. I remember at the open training session last season back he was moody as hell. Bad one for the dressing room.

Whats he up to now at Blackburn?

I remember a thread on here, comparing him (some favourably) to Tom Ince..

Hmmmmm....

Whats he up to now at Blackburn?

I remember a thread on here, comparing him (some favourably) to Tom Ince..

Hmmmmm....

Said it from the start with him that his spectacular goals masked poor all round play. Alarms bells started ringing the second he arrived and the slapper stripper on twitter was outing him as a cheat.

As noted, Pearson has made as many iffy signings as other managers we have had. The difference is that he has made some spectacularly brilliant ones. Morgan, Wasilewski, De Laet, Drinkwater, James, Vardy, Knockaert, Mahrez: No manager in the past 15 years has made so many good signings for so little money. 

As noted, Pearson has made as many iffy signings as other managers we have had. The difference is that he has made some spectacularly brilliant ones. Morgan, Wasilewski, De Laet, Drinkwater, James, Vardy, Knockaert, Mahrez: No manager in the past 15 years has made so many good signings for so little money.

Spot on.....

Even the best managers sign some duffers. Its the great ones that we should focus on.

I think what makes a really bad signing is paying way too much, and/or persisting in playing him when there are better options on the bench.

None of those above were big money signings, I doubt any were over 500k (except Marshall, and he wasn't a bad signing, just not a great one), and none of them were really anything other than squad players or back-up. They were mainly young with promise that never really materialised.

The only one I would say was bad was signing Kane on loan and then playing him ahead of Vardy and Waghorn.

Bang on.

Was discussing this very subject yesterday. Pearson's not the type to stubbornly persist with people he's signed to prove a point. We hit way more than we miss with new players these days, which is something we haven't really done since the Saint Martin years.

When commenting on players like Ben Marshall it's easy to say now that he was a bad signing. At the time he did great things for the club. We signed better players. It doesn't mean he was a bad signing. Surplus to requirements. Club and player go separate ways. Same can be said for Gallagher. We don't need to call someone a 'bad signing' because he's not as good as what we've currently got.

I did not rate him at all. His win ratio for us must have been awful and it's no surprise to me that before and after his stint here we've looked brilliant, where as we lost most games with him in. Weak and overrated. 

Also ripped to shreds when Derby came here.

He wasn't a calamity but he wasn't that good.

Ben Marshall could have been a very good signing, plenty of talent but from what I've heard he had a lot of personal problems and needed to be back up north. To be fair to NP, these types of issues are difficult to foresee.

Mate of mine who supports Wednesday said he thought BM would be a top prem player.

Archived