Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ceredigion

Smallest away following you've been part of

Aston Villa late seventies, 1 double decker bus from humberstone gate, stood in the corner of that big open end giving it the big un, we then realised there was no reinforcements coming, quietly split up and mingled with the home fans who were filling that end.

Someone will have to help me with the date.

It was late ish 70's. the football specials (trains) had stopped running for some reason (some trouble at some game). Also coaches had stopped running ( the old Midland Red ones) as some had got wrecked at Cov away.

We were playing West Ham. My older brother said no problem, we could get the 'shoppers bus' from St Margaret's bus station. So that's what we did, 5 of us.

We got to Victoria bus staton in London, then got on the tube (NO COLOURS).

As we got closer to Upton Park we became more and more aware that we were the only City fans on the tube. We kept our mouths shut (our accents would give us away).

At the ground we paid to go in what we thought was the away end. We saw no City fans as the ground filled, except for a couple of hundred in the seats in the stand to the side of the end we stood in.

It was clear, as the area we were in filled, that we were surrounded by hammers fans.

Don't remember much of the game, except that when City scored a small group of City fans jumped up maybe 20yards in front of us. They were laid into by the West Ham fans. The little group I was with I must admit we stayed quiet.

Its the most terrified I've ever been except for when I was in Brussels following England in the Euros many years later.

The old saying 'safety in numbers' can be very true.

Most of us who have followed Leicester away at any point in our lives will recollect those famous games where we took a huge away support with us. 

Orient away in 1980, Fulham in '83, Notts County in the ZDS Cup in '92 when we outnumbered the home fans, Watord in '96. Those matches where we packed out the away end and seemed to have pockets of fans in all the other parts of the ground too.

But what's the smallest away following you've been a part of. The games where only the most loyal or the saddest have turned up.

For me it has to be Plymouth away in a midweek Div 2 fixture in October 1989. The dark days of the David Pleat era. We never won away under Pleat so the result was a foregone conclusion. We duly lost 3-1 in a terrible performance. The match was so bad that I did a head count of the supporters in the away end. I may have missed a couple of stragglers taking a pee or buying a burger, but there weren't more than 50 of us there that night.

I was only there myself because I was a student at Exeter University at the time and Plymouth was only a 40 minute trip on the train. The rest wouldn't have got home until well after midnight.

Were you there that night, or have you been part of an even more pitiful away support?

I was there had half a day off work and it was a hell of a lot later than midnight when we got home.  We were in the bottom 3 and 3 nil down at half time. Wayne Clark was hopeless upfront and Alan Paris got our consolation goal if my memory serves me right. Open terrace behind the goal must have been mad to go !

I was there had half a day off work and it was a hell of a lot later than midnight when we got home.  We were in the bottom 3 and 3 nil down at half time. Wayne Clark was hopeless upfront and Alan Paris got our consolation goal if my memory serves me right. Open terrace behind the goal must have been mad to go !

Fantastic to hear from someone else who was there that night. As I said in the opening post, I don't think there more than 50 Leicester fans there that night, and that was more than they deserved.

A dreadful team and a dreadful experience for all of us, but you can't properly appreciate the good times unless you've paid that sort of price to begin with.

Chelsea away early 1980's, Ken Bates had banned away fans after trying out electrified fences in the away end.

Think there was no more than 10 of us speard throughout Stamford Bridge. One was ejected from the main stand when we scored first.

Are we counting reserve games? Me and my dad watched the reserves away at Sheffield United a few years back now, and there was just us two there. Even our bench gave us tea.

Not sure about first team games, will probably have to have a look.

No idea on the attendance nor number of away fans but I'd guess Plymouth away where it finished 0-0 in our relegation season. It probably wasn't even that low but I can't think of any that woukd potentially been less than that. Torquay last season possibly?

The away attendance for torquay was 1,166-i don't go to many away games-so that's probably the smallest away crowd i've been part of.

No idea on the attendance nor number of away fans but I'd guess Plymouth away where it finished 0-0 in our relegation season. It probably wasn't even that low but I can't think of any that woukd potentially been less than that. Torquay last season possibly?

That Plymouth game was on bank holiday weekend wasn't it? I thought quite a few went that day. 

I was at Anfield in 1997, when they were redeveloping the away end - so no away fans.

My mate who lives in Liverpool and is a season ticket holder, gave me his dad's ticket for the game; his old man couldn't make it.

So as far as I know - I was the only away fan in the stadium and we won 2-1...

Harlow in FA Cup Replay.

But you want to go to a Spanish La Ligua game, I went to Valencia v Sevilla on a Thursday night, Sevilla is a 9 hour drive. Sevilla scored twice and there was total silence in the ground very weird!!

Archived