Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DangerFox

New defence? Almost! For next year......

For me and in my opinion, I think from our defence, we need some replacements. There are other positions too that need looking at but this for me has shown we need an upgrade. Yes we have a good defensive record but we've used Keegan's best form of defence is attack method. That's why we have the most goals in the league. But over the last maybe 5/6 games it's proven our defence has struggled, we've not been free scoring and teams have had the chance to attack, showing our weaknesses. I think Burnley, full strength would have definitely given a better showing!

Right Back-I would say is our current strongest defensive position. De Laet has been great for the majority of the season. We will need to strengthen this area, give competition for De Laet though.

Centre Backs-Currently I feel inky Liam Moore has the potential to be good enough. Wasilewski 5 years ago would be good too but he's getting on now. And the others I won't talk about apart from the obvious....Morgan. Some may think I'm mad but although he has been a good solid servant for us, I don't think he'll be able to cut it in the Premier League. He struggles with quicker attackers, he struggles to head the ball, especially out from set pieces, his distribution screams kick and hope a lot and I think his leadership qualities have a lot to be desired. This isn't a witch hunt for Morgan because I like him I just don't feel he'll cut it. We need 2/3 additions in this position.

Left Back-Konchesky, need I say more, he's had his day and over the time we've had him, he has deteriorated a lot. He relies too much on reading the game. Sometimes a winger is just too quick. Schluppy has such raw talent for this position and will be great but he needs a guide, somebody else fantastic.

You could also add defensive midfielder too? We've missed Matty James!

I'd have been a hell of a lot more confident with Morgan in the Premier League this time last year. 

He just hasnt been as good this season. Last season he looked unbeatable and had such a high consistency level. By far the best season in his career in my opinion. 

There is no doubt that our set piece defending needs looking at. But people are overreacting a little bit in my opinion. I'd be happy lining up with De Laet, Morgan, Moore, Schlupp for the first fixture next season. It's worth giving a go up until January, and only then i would change it if it is going completely tits up. 

The current crop deserve a good go at the Premier League

Recently I've started to feel Morgan isn't up to the challenge and neither is Wasilewski :(

Sadly feeling the same way.

We haven't been a solid side defensively this year. We haven't been bad, but we've definitely been using attack as the best form of defence - then again I'd have it no other way.

Sadly feeling the same way.

We haven't been a solid side defensively this year. We haven't been bad, but we've definitely been using attack as the best form of defence - then again I'd have it no other way.

I think that's definitely down to Pearson, if he didn't get us up this season his contract wouldn't be extended do he's threw caution to the wind and thought if we are gonna play defensively and lose we might as well go all out to score as many as possible.

Agree with most of that apart from Wes. I don't think it's for any of us on a forum to question his ability as a leader. What happened in the play-offs last season would have destroyed a lot of teams but we had people in our team like Wes who grabbed this season by the horns and lead by example. He's been superb for a large amount of this season. 

As for Schlupp. We might well have a top left-back on our hands if he gets the right coaching this summer. He's absolutely rapid. A bit of work on his footballing brain and he'll be some player for us next season. Bare in mind Herita Illunga did a job for a while in the prem. If he can do it, Jeff certainly can. 

I think the team that has so easily won promotion deserves it's chance in the premier league, I don't think we should be looking at too many changes as it could easily disrupt the team ethic that we currently have

Maybe we should put the knifes away for now and just enjoy what has been a great season? Just saying

It's more than just replacing them as well though. As I said yesterday, we need to sort the set pieces issue out. We can't stop conceding from them; we're giving away "easy" goals. You throw a few points away conceding from set pieces, I mean look at Monday night. No opposition player should be scoring from the range he did on Monday night.

There's no doubt our defensive issue will annoy Nige, as a former solid centre half himself. Need to be more tighter. Both Hull and Palace (under Pulis) don't concede many goals, they've both conceded less than Liverpool! This only shows to me how important it is to have a tight and solid defence, because both of those teams don't score many goals. If we go the same way and struggle to score goals, then we need to ensure we're not conceding like we have done this season.

I think the team that has so easily won promotion deserves it's chance in the premier league, I don't think we should be looking at too many changes as it could easily disrupt the team ethic that we currently have

Maybe we should put the knifes away for now and just enjoy what has been a great season? Just saying

So when should the "knives" come out?

3 months into a season where we are struggling and desperate for cover at centre half, then have to panic buy in january?

We are really enjoying the season... but I will easily enjoy survival in the premier league more than getting out of the championship....

I'm not saying the knives should be out and we should be berating our players, but to not talk about the future and plan for players to come in and strengthen before the most important season in our recent history is madness....

Wes is simply not good enough IMO and in many others opinions, He deserves a chance but for us not to bother looking for cover is preparing to fail...

So when should the "knives" come out?

3 months into a season where we are struggling and desperate for cover at centre half, then have to panic buy in january?

We are really enjoying the season... but I will easily enjoy survival in the premier league more than getting out of the championship....

I'm not saying the knives should be out and we should be berating our players, but to not talk about the future and plan for players to come in and strengthen before the most important season in our recent history is madness....

Wes is simply not good enough IMO and in many others opinions, He deserves a chance but for us not to bother looking for cover is preparing to fail...

I'm sure we will buy cover. It remains to be seen whether he will be good enough or not in the premier league, but he deserves the chance to prove himself after all he's done for us

Who on here seriously thought that Alex Bruce would be good enough in the premier league?

I'm sure we will buy cover. It remains to be seen whether he will be good enough or not in the premier league, but he deserves the chance to prove himself after all he's done for us

Who on here seriously thought that Alex Bruce would be good enough in the premier league?

Definitely deserves a chance, 100% support that, But we do need cover, It looked as though you were saying lets not talk about this now.. when it's the most important time to discuss, whilst the club plans next season, not that we have any imput!

Pretty much of the same opinion. we have to trust in the management team. NP ex centre back must have an idea of what he wants or needs so I'll confidently leave it to them.

I could see Morgan going back to Forest if Im honest.

The way Drinky was at Reading his passion and enthusiasm I can see him being the next Captain.

Pretty much of the same opinion. we have to trust in the management team. NP ex centre back must have an idea of what he wants or needs so I'll confidently leave it to them.

I could see Morgan going back to Forest if Im honest.

The way Drinky was at Reading his passion and enthusiasm I can see him being the next Captain.

I can't see Morgan giving up a chance to play in the premier league by going back to forest

Ditto drinky

I've been saying for the last few weeks that I don't think we can play Was and Wes in the same team. They are great individuals but I think they're too similar.

Last season Wes Morgan was the oldest, most experienced, strongest, most intelligent, loudest centre-back at the club. Wasyl has come in and exceeded in most of them areas, taking the lime light away from Wes. I've often thought sometimes this season that the arm-band is the only thing keeping Wes on the pitch. Liam Moore has been great, there's no denying that but we are always going to have a natural bias because he's 'one of our own'. I hope we sign Ignasi Miquel because he is arguably the best ball-playing centre-back at the club. We need composure next year, not hoof-ball and miss-hits from Wes and Was. Whitbread will be gone. He wasn't great but I think it's harsh to call him disastrous. I really liked St Ledger, he was good in the air and was quick, saying that, he's hardly played and will definitely be surplus to requirements.

Can I also use this time to throw in Alie Sesay. I've only seen him once this year (vs Liverpool U21's). He was very strong and very quick. Calm, composed and full of potential. I'd expect him to go out on loan to a Championship club next year.

As for 'captaincy' I don't think that matters. When you watch Leicester, we have 'captains' all over the pitch. I personally think the role would be better suited to Matty James or Drinkwater; two players who are certainties to start next year.

Wes was a beast until recently, I don't know what has changed, but we have become very suspect defensively, but I don't remember these questions before Christmas and before our unbeaten run. I don't know if he is fatgued or carrying a knock, but he hasn't been the same.

After pre-season he will be back to his best to start the prem campaign and will lead us out as captain on the first game of the season, of that I have no doubt.

Yes, i too have too agree.

The level next season is a massive difference to the Championship. It may be a blessing in disguise that some players are not performing as well as earlier, and this is something that cannot be allowed to happen at the higher level.

Wes is possibly not going to cut it at a higher level, despite the fact that he has been good for most season..

It will be an interesting summer.

Archived