Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Captain...

Would you still support the owners if they sacked Nigel next season?

152 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support the owners if they sacked Nigel in December where we are bottom and after a poor start?

• Yes
    • No

I know this is similar to other topics, but this is not should Nigel be sacked or not, it is about whether or not we would lose faith in the owners.

This is the scenario, December 2014, we are bottom of the prem, in the summer we made a few new signings, but Nigel has mainly stuck with the players that got us up despite having been given £50m to spend on strengthening the squad (fees and wages). There is still £35m available but Nigel is saying he believes in the current squad and will not be making lots of big signings in January and trying to buy his way out of trouble.

We are bottom, with only a handful of points, we haven't looked like getting anything from any of the games against the top 7, we have been competitive at times against the rest, but still playing 442 and not looking like changing that any time soon.

Despite a couple of home wins we are in a dangerous position already 7 points from safety. (was 9 but that seemed like too many)

The owners announce on the 5th of December that they have agreed to terminate Nigel's contract and a replacement is being sought who will have the rest of December to assess the squad and January to improve it with serious financial backing.

Names in the frame include, Brian Laudrup, Chris Hughton, Malky McKay, Nigel Adkins, Eddie Howe, Sean Dyche and some foreign blokes you've never heard of but are apparently amazing.

How do you react? This is not an anti Nigel thread, this is not should he be sacked in those circumstances, this is if the owners took that decision would you still back them?

I know they had a bad start to their ownership, but since reinstating Nigel, they are generally considered to be good owners, especially considering the likes of Fawaz, Tan, that fella at Hull, but would you still support them should they sack Nigel after a bad start.

The first manager to get us promoted in 10 years, so give him time to see how he can adapt to the Premier League.

Those names in the frame are no improvement on Nige anyway, wouldn't take any of them over him now.

It's a hard question to answer because you're asking me to imagine I'm in a world where Nigel is deluded.

In that scenario, I wouldn't blame them that much if they sacked him. If we're struggling with the current lot then it's common sense to strengthen.

i dont care if we only win 2 games all season next year, nigel is the man i would want to get us promoted again straight away.

That is not the question, the question is would you be angry with the owners, or would you accept their decision and get behind the new man, whoever it is and continue to think of the owners in a positive light.

I don't think any answer given now, following a fantastic season and promotion, bears any relevance of how people would vote if we have a horrible season next year.

For instance, Mike Walker had Norwich going for the title but once this stopped, fans wanted his head and a new manager.

It's a cliche to say fans are fickle but unfortunately it is very true.

It's a hard question to answer because you're asking me to imagine I'm in a world where Nigel is deluded.

In that scenario, I wouldn't blame them that much if they sacked him. If we're struggling with the current lot then it's common sense to strengthen.

Well there is no point asking easy questions, it is a realistic scenario if you ask me, Nige is very supportive of his players and has already said he doesn't plan to make huge changes to the playing staff.

It is all well and good saying give Nigel the full season, but it isn't our decision, I'm just curious if people think they would be angry at the owners and blame them, and would they protest and chant his name in the following matches.

I was amazed at how quickly Southampton fans took to Pochettino, I'm sure many were saying how we they should back Adkins pre-season.

Depends on the situation really, although I have the highest mark of respect for Mr Pearson if he is given an open chequebook and we have 0 points by Christmas and he has resigned Michael Johnson then he might have to go. I think he will do a good job I think he will be more suited as a manager to the underdog than he is the team looking to win the title will be interesting to see who he brings in.

I know the club will have a little money to spend next season, but if the owners give Pearson a multi-year deal, they may be saddled with a hefty compensation fee--and then will have to find a new manager as well. This may be a cost worth survival, but our owners may not be too keen on this.

This.

Interesting thread but there are too many variables to envisage it properly.

Won't be happy if we go down the fashionable route nowadays, replace manager with average European.

Those names in the frame don't impress me at all and I don't think any are better than Pearson really, if the owners do their research and find a Pochettino or Martinez available then yes it would have to be considered.

Well there is no point asking easy questions, it is a realistic scenario if you ask me, Nige is very supportive of his players and has already said he doesn't plan to make huge changes to the playing staff.

It is all well and good saying give Nigel the full season, but it isn't our decision, I'm just curious if people think they would be angry at the owners and blame them, and would they protest and chant his name in the following matches.

I was amazed at how quickly Southampton fans took to Pochettino, I'm sure many were saying how we they should back Adkins pre-season.

If we were rock bottom and he refused to strengthen in 2 transfer windows then I'd think he'd lost the plot. Nigel is supportive of his players but he's not that naïve. In the last couple of seasons he has publicly acknowledged the need to strengthen and did so.

I can't see him only getting squad players in the next 2 transfer windows if we're struggling that much.

So for me, it's not that realistic.

I think you'd have to ask me at the time. I'd have to see performances, etc.

Like I said though, I could understand their decision in that scenario. If we're destined for relegation and the manager is showing no signs of changing things I think most owners would sack him.

I know the club will have a little money to spend next season, but if the owners give Pearson a multi-year deal, they may be saddled with a hefty compensation fee--and then will have to find a new manager as well. This may be a cost worth survival, but our owners may not be too keen on this.

But the decision is made, Nige has gone, the contract paid up, this is not about the pros on cons of sacking Nigel but how you would feel towards the owners.

I said no but it's funny that I just commented on a thread about sentimentality.

Would we be keeping Nigel for the better of the team, or because he is a cult hero in our own eyes.

IT ALL RELIES ON CONTEXT

I've tried to give as much context as possible for that very reason, obviously it is difficult now to imagine it as we are on a high.

We are bottom, with only a handful of points, we haven't looked like getting anything from any of the games against the top 7, we have been competitive at times against the rest, but still playing 442 and not looking like changing that any time soon.

I'm sick of saying it but we haven't played 442 all season. The way we play with Nugent in the hole is all set up for a switch to 4231, I just hope this is in Pearson's plan for next season.

I don't think Nigel Pearson should ever be sacked BUT....

The owner's relationship with the fans this season has been immense. They have helped this club in so many ways. If they decide to get rid of Nigel Pearson we should stick by them. As soon as we turn our backs on them, they will turn their backs on us.

If we were rock bottom and he refused to strengthen in 2 transfer windows then I'd think he'd lost the plot. Nigel is supportive of his players but he's not that naïve. In the last couple of seasons he has publicly acknowledged the need to strengthen and did so.

I can't see him only getting squad players in the next 2 transfer windows if we're struggling that much.

So for me, it's not that realistic.

I think you'd have to ask me at the time. I'd have to see performances, etc.

Like I said though, I could understand their decision in that scenario. If we're destined for relegation and the manager is showing no signs of changing things I think most owners would sack him.

I think I was trying to say he had made some improvements to the squad, but it was still mainly the players that got us up, say 5 signings, 2 start regularly and 2 are on the bench regularly 1 isn't getting a look in, still lots of money available but Nigel isn't planning on trying to buy his way out by spending stupid money in January.

I've tweaked the wording of the scenario a bit... :ph34r:

If that was the exact situation then I don't think I would be angry at the owners.

However, this scenario sounds extremely unlikely because Nigel knows how strong this team needs to be in order to stay up, so refusing to strengthen after having such a poor start would not happen in my opinion. 

I'd probably keep Nigel Pearson - if we were 9 points adrift, I wouldn't see us pulling it back anyway, and I'd trust NP to get us out of the championship. If he got us relegated and then struggled in the championship the season after, that would be a different question. But no, I wouldn't say getting us relegated should see him sacked.

I'd probably keep Nigel Pearson - if we were 9 points adrift, I wouldn't see us pulling it back anyway, and I'd trust NP to get us out of the championship. If he got us relegated and then struggled in the championship the season after, that would be a different question. But no, I wouldn't say getting us relegated should see him sacked.

Not the question though, the question is would you support the owner's decision, not agree with it.

Not the question though, the question is would you support the owner's decision, not agree with it.

It's basically the same though. Define "support?". I wouldn't agree with it, but I could see why they'd make that decision, and I wouldn't hold up banners in protest or anything.

It's basically the same though. Define "support?". I wouldn't agree with it, but I could see why they'd make that decision, and I wouldn't hold up banners in protest or anything.

Would you lose faith in the owners and start questioning if they are the right people to run this club? If not you would still support/back them despite them making a decision you don't agree with.

Archived