Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ceredigion

Bill Anderson of the Leicester Mercury

Thoughts on Bill Anderson please.

I presume he must have packed up long ago by now, but for years and years he was the Leicester Mercury's Chief Football Correspondent and Apologist-in-Chief for a succession of incompetent board-room and managerial regimes at Filbert Street.

I remember him mainly as a Soviet-style apparatchik and propagandist who spent most of his time telling us how lucky we were to have seen us hold the likes of Barnsley and Watford to a goalless draw at home.

His columns at the Mercury were always accompanied by a silhouette profile of him, intended to represent a fearless and intrepid investigative reporter, unafraid of speaking truth to power. Sadly, I suspect the reality was that dear old Bill was always more concerned with staying on the right side of whoever ruled the roost at LCFC.

Is he still alive? He used to be a force to be reckoned with back in the day.

Thoughts on Bill Anderson please.

I presume he must have packed up long ago by now, but for years and years he was the Leicester Mercury's Chief Football Correspondent and Apologist-in-Chief for a succession of incompetent board-room and managerial regimes at Filbert Street.

I remember him mainly as a Soviet-style apparatchik and propagandist who spent most of his time telling us how lucky we were to have seen us hold the likes of Barnsley and Watford to a goalless draw at home.

His columns at the Mercury were always accompanied by a silhouette profile of him, intended to represent a fearless and intrepid investigative reporter, unafraid of speaking truth to power. Sadly, I suspect the reality was that dear old Bill was always more concerned with staying on the right side of whoever ruled the roost at LCFC.

Is he still alive? He used to be a force to be reckoned with back in the day.

No different to the rest of the club back then, quite happy to be mediocre and spin the "we've got no money" line as we limped through another inept season, players and managers coming out weekly telling us "they gave everything", "redouble efforts in training" and "we'll put it right next week". Thankfully that era of excuses and desperation has gone and we've got players with ability and a manager who tells it like it is and isn't happy to be rubbish and believe 16th is acceptable in the "unpredictable and tough" nature of the second division.

Wasn't he made public relations officer under Mandaric? :unsure:

Guest MattP

Every single one of them has a Soviet style mouthpiece for the owner.

Go and have a read of what Rob Tanner wrote for Mandy after the Sousa appointment.

We had got rid of the ugly footballing dinosaur centre half Nigel Pearson and brought in sexy ball playing Paulo Sousa and his flashy champions league medals.

The fact we had booted out a man who had won a league and finished 5th in two seasons with no money wasn't even questioned let alone debated as maybe not being such a bright idea!

All I remember about him was if we lost 6-0 at least half of our players would get a rating of 8 or above.

No different to now then, have you seen the ratings they give? Absolutely terrible. I think Rob Tanner does it now, check them out for our remaining games, right joke!

Bill retired from the Merc and did some work for the club but he's recently moved back to Scotland for family reasons.

Despite being a good and long standing pal of mine, I have told him numerous times what I thought of his stuff in the Merc!!

My dad knew him a little and when I was 13 I told Bill I would become a journalist and take his job on the Merc. I achieved the former but not the latter and, to be honest, I'm more than happy in radio rather than the written press.

Bill retired from the Merc and did some work for the club but he's recently moved back to Scotland for family reasons.

Despite being a good and long standing pal of mine, I have told him numerous times what I thought of his stuff in the Merc!!

My dad knew him a little and when I was 13 I told Bill I would become a journalist and take his job on the Merc. I achieved the former but not the latter and, to be honest, I'm more than happy in radio rather than the written press.

Speaking of local radio, whatever happened to Neville Foulger. Did he retire? Used to love his commentary on RL

My personal favourite was the Friday edition before the fateful Peter Taylor relegation season - a whole series of articles about us having a group of talented youngsters - Akinbiyi, Benjamin, Marshall, Delaney, Lewis etc - how a top half finish was possible - a piece on Izzet condemning a small minority of doom and gloom merchants on the terraces It really would have shamed Pravda with no hint of what every fan knew deep inside - we were stuffed. 45 minutes into the new season we were 4-0 down at home to the mighty Bolton.

Speaking of local radio, whatever happened to Neville Foulger. Did he retire? Used to love his commentary on RL

Nev's in his mid 70s now. He's been in semi-retirement, doing some occasional work on the cricket and football for the Press Association but I think he's calling it a day. I worked for him and then with him and he'll always be someone I shall have the utmost respect for. Shabbily discarded by Radio Leicester a few years back.

Nev's in his mid 70s now. He's been in semi-retirement, doing some occasional work on the cricket and football for the Press Association but I think he's calling it a day. I worked for him and then with him and he'll always be someone I shall have the utmost respect for. Shabbily discarded by Radio Leicester a few years back.

I agree, I used to love listening to Nev, prone to the odd mistake but a passionate commentator. Had the pleasure of meeting him a few times at Grace Rd, top man. And yes he was shabbily treated by radio Leicester.

As for Bill Anderson, he was rubbish, didn't he support spurs or something?

Top guy and a very good commentator ðŸ‘

Remember him being known as " Billy Liar " such was the discrepancy between what actually happened on the pitch and what he wrote down . But I suppose as a local rag the Mercury could not afford to upset the city board as the information would not have been forthcoming ,and they did and still do sell a lot of Mercury's just for the back pages.

Archived