Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Goalkeepers

Guess how many Keepers have played for us since we were relegated from the Premiership in 2004, and now.

Go on.

Its 19. 19 different goalkeepers, featuring in League and Cup.

Can you name them all? (Without cheating!).

Kevin Pressman?

Rab Douglas

Paul Henderson

Conrad Logan

David Martin

Ben Alnwick

Martin Stockdale

Mark Bunn

Martin Fulop

Chris Weale

Carl Ikeme

Ricardo

Schmeichel

Adam Smith?

Kasper Schmeichel

Conrad Logan 

Kevin Pressman

David Martin

Tony Warner

Mark Bunn

Paul Henderson 

Marton Fulop

Ricardo

Chris Weale 

Chris Kirkland 

Rab Douglas

Ben Alnwick 

David Stockdale

Carl Ikeme

Ian Walker

That's 16... Can't think of the other 3! 

They've all been named now - Pentney, Hirschfeld and Stuart Taylor were the last ones to come up. I'm surprised we got them so quickly. I was sure nobody would remember Hirschfeld.

Pentney came on as sub in League 1, Hirschfeld played the last game of the 2004-05 season (Plymouth IIRC), Taylor of course on loan from The Arsenal.

Jimmy Nielsen was on the books but never played!

Left after we were relegated from the Premiership according to Wikipedia. Only ever made 4 appearances as well, thought it was more than that. 

Yeah and me, thought he had quite a long stint?

I've got it in my head he was quite good lol Doubt i'd have that much of an opinion of him if he only made 4 appearances lol

Yeah and me, thought he had quite a long stint?

I've got it in my head he was quite good lol Doubt i'd have that much of an opinion of him if he only made 4 appearances lol

Funnily enough, so did I! Thought he was with us both before and after the Prem, obviously not. 

Nineteen goalkeepers in 10 years is an absolutely horrible statistic.

How many City fans realise that between 1975 and 1982 Mark Wallington kept goal in every single game in all competitions?

6 and half years as an ever-present. Astonishing. If you were to ask a City fan who started following the club in 1974 who their favourite goal-keeper was, chances are they'd say Mark Wallington, who was a brilliant goalie as it happens.

Ask the same question of a City fan who started following the club in 2004 and they'll have 19 candidates to choose from.

How many City fans realise that between 1975 and 1982 Mark Wallington kept goal in every single game in all competitions?

6 and half years as an ever-present. Astonishing. If you were to ask a City fan who started following the club in 1974 who their favourite goal-keeper was, chances are they'd say Mark Wallington, who was a brilliant goalie as it happens.

Ask the same question of a City fan who started following the club in 2004 and they'll have 19 candidates to choose from.

As we've signed no keepers since 2011 its really 19 in 7 years!

They've all been named now - Pentney, Hirschfeld and Stuart Taylor were the last ones to come up. I'm surprised we got them so quickly. I was sure nobody would remember Hirschfeld.

Pentney came on as sub in League 1, Hirschfeld played the last game of the 2004-05 season (Plymouth IIRC), Taylor of course on loan from The Arsenal.

Jimmy Nielsen was on the books but never played!

Can't forget Hirschfeld away at Plymouth last day of the season. Practically everything he kicked went straight out of play!

As we've signed no keepers since 2011 its really 19 in 7 years!

That makes it even worse.

I went to a League Cup match in around 1985 between us and Derby. Mark Wallington having left the club by then was playing for Derby. Even though he'd signed for our local rivals, as he ran out towards the Kop for the start of the game, the entire crowd rose to their feet and gave him a tremendous ovation in recognition of his service for the club.

Who among the 19 goalies mentioned above could inspire a welcome like that today?

That makes it even worse.

I went to a League Cup match in around 1985 between us and Derby. Mark Wallington having left the club by then was playing for Derby. Even though he'd signed for our local rivals, as he ran out towards the Kop for the start of the game, the entire crowd rose to their feet and gave him a tremendous ovation in recognition of his service for the club.

Who among the 19 goalies mentioned above could inspire a welcome like that today?

The polar bear

We did use alot in our League One season though. Through short loans or injuries, e.t.c, Didn't we use something stupid like about 7 keepers in our League One season?

Just had a search, in our League One season we used 6 goalkeepers;

David Martin

David Stockdale

Paul Henderson

Tony Warner

Mark Bunn

Carl Pentney

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/leicester-city/torhueter/verein_1003.html

Mark Wallington was my first keeper i saw for City in 1979, temporarily replaced by Mark Grew due to a breakdown in contract talks, then gained his place back. Ian Andrews came along and for a while looked a world class keeper, although a loss of confidence put paid to that.

Archived