Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
copunk

4-5-1 for next season?

thinking back on todays game, and the surprise formation that nige played, its now hit me whether he chose this as a nod to a potential set up for next season. for me I think it worked wonders, the midfield broke up play well, not sure whether nuge would be the ideal candidate for the lone striker role, however I thought he played as well as he has done in quite a while, granted we shall see what players we bring in, but maybe this was the method behind the side today

It was a big gamble to play that sort of formation against a team like QPR but I think we pulled it off. But I we're going to use this formation next season I think we will deffinately need to strengthen the midfield. An experienced, ball winning midfielder in front of the back four and a dangerous central attacking midfielder just behind the striker.

Always thought nuge would work well on the left on an advanced 3 like in the 4-2-3-1. Lot of his good play is in working the channels and then cutting inside

This. Although I'd have Knocky and Mahrez on the wings of the 3, James and Drinkwater the 2 and possibly Vardy in the middle of the 3 with, should he actually sign, that Vietto lad up the front.

just not a 4-2-3-1 with drinkwater deep because it ruins him, and ruining him usually ruins us.

The art with a 4-2-3-1 is that with the 2, when one goes forward the other holds. Drinkwater would not be ruined at all there. 

The art with a 4-2-3-1 is that with the 2, when one goes forward the other holds. Drinkwater would not be ruined at all there. 

hmm. today's first hour or so suggests otherwise. 

Based on today's game I hope not.

Not quite sure what match some of you were watching but it didn't work at all. We struggled to create chances in the first half and it was only when James came on and we had our usual middle 2 that we started to turn it on like we know we can.

What has 'worked wonders' has been 4-4-2 all season and I see no reason to change it at this point. Of course, switching it around when needed is fine, and hopefully that's why Pearson trialled this formation today.

Based on today's game I hope not.

Not quite sure what match some of you were watching but it didn't work at all. We struggled to create chances in the first half and it was only when James came on and we had our usual middle 2 that we started to turn it on like we know we can.

What has 'worked wonders' has been 4-4-2 all season and I see no reason to change it at this point. Of course, switching it around when needed is fine, and hopefully that's why Pearson trialled this formation today.

I agree. We was poor in the first half but as soon as James came on we looked a lot more comfortable. Just goes to show how big the partnership of James and Drinkwater really are for us.

I do think this formation could work for us but we will definitely need to bring in new faces to suit it.

Pearson himself said in his radio interview that the team will have to 'learn to adapt' to different formations.

I took this to mean, he'll vary it around. And he will need to.

Absolutely Col. I'd imagine he'll start positively with 442 next season but if we're not getting results we need some alternatives. Makes sense to try a few out now promotion is in the bag as there'll be no time to experiment next season.

NP tried a bit of formation tinkering at the start of this season and we always looked pretty crap, absolutely nowhere near the team we look when we play 442.

We've won games this season because we've gone out and tried to beat the opposition with our own game. We need to keep doing that next season. Sure we'll lose plenty of games and will get totally overran by some teams, but that will happen regardless of our formation. We need to make sure we're playing to our strengths so that when opportunities to win come up, we take them.

We'd have been well beaten by a motivated half decent championship team today never mind a premiership team. Only the fact that QPR didn't really care kept us in thr game today. If we perform like that in the prem we'll struggle to win a game. Unless NP makes some significant new signings who can actually play different systems, it would be ludicrous to play anything other than our best formation, and that's 442without a shadow of a doubt.

4-3-3 is at it's most effective when we play the two pacey full-backs. When we're on the ball they bomb forward and play like wingers, thus allowing the actual wide-men (Mahrez and Knockaert) to take on a 'free role'.

I thought Hammond played very well. I thought King played very well. We just need to remember that James and Drinkwater have been playing football together for 12 years. I'd be very surprised if any midfielders in the league can emulate that partnership.

Overall, the future is indeed bright and I'd be happy with any formation as long as Matty James plays. He's lost only one league game all season. We're undefeated in nearly 98% of the games he's featured. First name on the team-sheet for me.

Ah, looking back, it's not quite 98%....

Leicester are undefeated in 96.9% (league) games that featured Matty James

He's played 33 league games. He's lost one. Charlton away. To be fair to Matty, he didn't even play the whole match.

EXTRA: He's played 38 in all competitions. Losing 3 games:

Charlton: Sent off at 51 mins

Man City: Came on in the second half. Leicester drew the second half 1-1

Stoke: Played the whole match. Got no excuse this time.

So, overall, in all competitions, we are undefeated in 92.1% of games featuring James. I think we'll stick to just the league stats...

Ah, looking back, it's not quite 98%....

Leicester are undefeated in 96.9% (league) games that featured Matty James

He's played 33 league games. He's lost one. Charlton away. To be fair to Matty, he didn't even play the whole match.

EXTRA: He's played 38 in all competitions. Losing 3 games:

Charlton: Sent off at 51 mins

Man City: Came on in the second half. Leicester drew the second half 1-1

Stoke: Played the whole match. Got no excuse this time.

So, overall, in all competitions, we are undefeated in 92.1% of games featuring James. I think we'll stick to just the league stats...

Wow, those stats are incredible. 96.9% is phenomenal.

NP tried a bit of formation tinkering at the start of this season and we always looked pretty crap, absolutely nowhere near the team we look when we play 442.

We've won games this season because we've gone out and tried to beat the opposition with our own game. We need to keep doing that next season. Sure we'll lose plenty of games and will get totally overran by some teams, but that will happen regardless of our formation. We need to make sure we're playing to our strengths so that when opportunities to win come up, we take them.

We'd have been well beaten by a motivated half decent championship team today never mind a premiership team. Only the fact that QPR didn't really care kept us in thr game today. If we perform like that in the prem we'll struggle to win a game. Unless NP makes some significant new signings who can actually play different systems, it would be ludicrous to play anything other than our best formation, and that's 442without a shadow of a doubt.

Agreed Moosey.

There is nothing to say we can't beat a lot of Prem teams the way we have played this season. People shouldn't forget just how good we've been in some games. And, how average a lot of Premier League sides are. Seriously, about 6 of them are going to stay up by default.

The thing I've realised about us under NP is that we can only play one way, and that's to our strengths. Slowing the game down does not work for us, neither does playing one up front.

Vardy 'the pest' will trouble defenders and our midfield has guile and creativity, and aren't short of bite either with the likes of James and even Knockaert with his work rate.

People should have more faith in the current crop. The idea is to strengthen and build on what we've done already, this is not the time to be wimps and cower at the thought of the Premiership. Alternative formations are fine, but they should be a plan B at this point.

Agreed Moosey.

There is nothing to say we can't beat a lot of Prem teams the way we have played this season. People shouldn't forget just how good we've been in some games. And, how average a lot of Premier League sides are. Seriously, about 6 of them are going to stay up by default.

The thing I've realised about us under NP is that we can only play one way, and that's to our strengths. Slowing the game down does not work for us, neither does playing one up front.

Vardy 'the pest' will trouble defenders and our midfield has guile and creativity, and aren't short of bite either with the likes of James and even Knockaert with his work rate.

People should have more faith in the current crop. The idea is to strengthen and build on what we've done already, this is not the time to be wimps and cower at the thought of the Premiership. Alternative formations are fine, but they should be a plan B at this point.

Disagree. .

Stick with a 4-4-2 in the Prem and its likely we'll get over-run in the middle.

Very few sides use it, reason being obvious. That's why Nige is tinkering, I'd suggest.

Disagree. .

Stick with a 4-4-2 in the Prem and its likely we'll get over-run in the middle.

Very few sides use it, reason being obvious. That's why Nige is tinkering, I'd suggest.

Most prem teams play 4231 which is basically a slight variation on 442 with a forward dropping deep. We've been playing that already quite a lot this season with nuge the forward dropping deep. I've no problem with us carrying on with that.

What I don't want to see is a specific defensive midfielder replacing a forward or the narrow defensive 433 which for me is our worst formation. If we're going by what teams in the prem already play then hardly anyone plays either of those systems anymore.

Archived