Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pegosteve

Our Greatest Achievement?

I've been a Fox since 1967/68, I've witnessed all our successes (and failures!), FA Cup Final 69, Jimmy Bloomfield's fabulous team of the 70's,the last Title in this Division 1980, Play Off Finals, MON's League Cup wins and stability in the Premiership, NP's Div 1 winning team and finally this seasons campaign.

I have to say that this seasons performance probably has to rank as our greatest achievement. The Championship is probably the most difficult league in the world to get out of and to do it in such style and to be at this stage 26 points above the alleged best team in the league (according to Jimmy Armfield) is nothing short of incredible. All the records we have broken this has to go down as the greatest time in my City years.

What do the rest of you think?

I'm 18, so for me, this is the greatest achievement I've ever witnessed as a Leicester fan.

But, Numerous Top 10 finishes in the PL, League Cup triumphs and trips in Europe under MON, I'm sure many would argue are the clubs greatest achievements.

That said, Thank you NP, Thank you Leicester City....:.CHAMPIONE CHAMPIONE OLE OLE OLE!!!

It's been my favourite season I reckon and would definitely be up there as achievements go but best ever? Close, but a no for me.

Massive achievement. 

But winning the Coca Cola Cup in 1997 after just getting promoted is a bigger achievement for me, to then get the top 10 PL finish and play Athletico Madrid in the UEFA Cup will take some beating. 

I think in terms of the manner of the achievement this season is the greatest, not our best ever of course not but this team has rewritten numerous club records that could last for decades before being bettered which is something we didn't do in the MON years

I think in terms of the manner of the achievement this season is the greatest, not our best ever of course not but this team has rewritten numerous club records that could last for decades before being bettered which is something we didn't do in the MON years

Playing devils advocate here, but MON got us up in half season, so didn't have time to break records in this league.

If it makes you feel better, I do think that Pearson has the ability to achieve more than Martin in the PL.

It's our greatest achievement at this level, to win League Cups and still maintain top half positions in the Premier League with relatively few resources and small squads takes some beating though.

Finishing top 10 in the PL, winning a cup and then playing Athletico Madrid takes some beating but this has come close.

What betting than winning the league amd league 1, sorry but for me winning the leagues better than winning any cup becuase it is over 46 games

1962/63 Ice kings take some beating all at the top tier

Between 10 November 1962 and 8 April 1963, Leicester went on a run of 18 matches unbeaten, earning themselves the nickname "the ice kings" and creating a club record which stood for 46 years, until it was beaten in the 2008-09 season, though Leicester were in a division two tiers lower than that of the 1962-63 side. Their run of 7 consecutive league wins between 9 February 1963 and 9 March 1963 is also a joint club record, though on each of the three other occasions this has been matched, Leicester were in the second tier.

The Ice Kings were managed by Matt Gillies and his assistant Bert Johnson and were hugely influential in English football for their fluid "switch" and "whirl" systems and playing sequences of short probing passes to unlock defences and establishing the concept of positional flexibility and for their switching of positions, particularly of inside right and right-halfGraham Cross andFrank McLintock, upsetting the tradition 1-11 formations in England and confusing opposition players, who were used to thinking in terms of rigid formations in the English game. Johnson had brought back this system from watching the great Hungary and Austria sides of the 1950s and he and Gillies developed their own version of the systems with Leicester.[3]

Gillies later said it "confused opposition" as opposition players would often be asked to mark "our [Leicester's] number eight, so they thought Cross was their man, when McLintock had replaced him" as "players hadn't got beyond thinking about numbers then.

Under the management of Matt Gillies and starring players such as Gordon BanksFrank McLintock and Dave Gibson, Leicester sensationally chased the double. Eventually falling short after losing 3-1 to Manchester United in the FA Cup Final and after gaining just one win from their final nine league games their title challenge collapsed and the Foxes eventually finished in a disappointing 4th position. The side from the 1962-63 season is often regarded as the finest side in Leicester City's post-war history.

Even then losing the cup final and finishing 4th in the top tier was described as disappointing. 

You could argue it's been one of our best ever seasons, but it's hardly our greatest achievement. It's a minor achievement for a club of our size, playing premier league football is a target we should be achieving more often than we have in the last 10 years.

Winning the league cup is our greatest achievement. Let's hope we can better it one day with the FA Cup.

For me the existence of this thread highlights not only how much we've underachieved in the last 10 years, but throughout our history. We've been starved of real success, unfortunately.

1962/63 Ice kings take some beating all at the top tier

Even then losing the cup final and finishing 4th in the top tier was described as disappointing. 

Yeh even though it was a great season overall, you have to say that we didn't actually achieve anything, as in we finished the season empty handed.

What betting than winning the league amd league 1, sorry but for me winning the leagues better than winning any cup becuase it is over 46 games

If it was the Premier then yes winning the title is better than the league cup.

We have just won the second division title, we've won it in style but for me it doesn't compare to a top half finish in the top division and a League Cup win leading to playing Athletico Madrid.

Winning anything is a fantastic achievement, in my life time that'll be 2 league cups, 2 play off finals, league one and now the championship. All will live long in the memory but crazily enough the biggest thing for me was beating Oxford to stay in old div 2 and running onto the pitch!

I don't see winning the 3rd tier title as a great achievement, yes it needed to be done and was achieved relatively easily but it was just an achievement it was also our lowest ever finish since we entered the FL in 1894.

If we can finish the season with 100+ points (we need 2 wins or 1 win and a draw to do this), I think one would have to regard this as certainly our finest-ever league season, with the possible exception of that season in the mid 1920s when we finished runners-up in the old First Division.

But my memories of that campaign are a bit hazy now TBH.

If we can finish the season with 100+ points (we need 2 wins or 1 win and a draw to do this), I think one would have to regard this as certainly our finest-ever league season, with the possible exception of that season in the mid 1920s when we finished runners-up in the old First Division.

But my memories of that campaign are a bit hazy now TBH.

Best ever 2nd tier season

To answer the question posed by the OP: No, it is not our greatest achievement. But, conversely, I really do think it has been my favourite season ever (and I've seen more of them than most of you). OK The Ice Kings - see Davie G's post above - were fantastic (I was there!), and nothing beats winning a cup at Wemberlee as we did under O'Neill.

But in terms of football, teamwork, really class players and record-breaking, I have never seen anything to match this season. Loved every minute of it, and if they don't make a DVD, I'll do it myself.

Archived