Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2014/15 Stuff it in here.

And why do we never ever ever see similar incidents? I must have watched literally thousands of football matches and have never once seen a pass result in somebody planting their studs in somebody's knee.

Here's a similar incident for you.  OK, it's different because John Terry lands his studs on the other man's throat not his knee, but it's not that different in principle.

I couldn't find any comments by Mourinho, but I bet he was livid! :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnKYeXajHsA

Here's a similar incident for you. OK, it's different because John Terry lands his studs on the other man's throat not his knee, but it's not that different in principle.

I couldn't find any comments by Mourinho, but I bet he was livid! :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnKYeXajHsA

You wouldn't find any comments from Mourinho as he wasn't manager.

I'm sorry dsr but that is a horrendous tackle that has no place on the football pitch. It cannot be defended in any way. If you kindly notice when you watch it over and over again, Barnes' other leg comes off the floor as well. Does this happen in a normal pass? There's no two ways about it. Barnes followed through with a potentially career-ending tackle.

Just watched the Barnes challenge on Matic. IMO Barnes knew exactly what he was doing there. If he was to make the pass his trailing leg wouldnt have come off the ground. Not surprised Matic reacted the way he did. Radio this morning suggested Barnes could be looking at a 7 game ban. Be interesting to see if retrospective action is taken against him.

Would be a big loss for Burnley as Barnes has down pretty good this season. Would certainly be a blow to their survival chances.

Exactly - you've got it. Barnes kicked the ball in the vicinity of Matic, who arrived too late to make the tackle but just in time to put his leg right where Barnes' foot was landing.

This was how I saw it the first couple of times, but when you hear ex professionals saying they know when someone leaves their foot in I took a second look. Barnes' initial movement is to pass the ball but there is no need for him to go off his feet he is not sprinting it is not slippy he he is making a standard pass under a bit of pressure and then follows through with his foot in an unnatural way.

It was either a a complete lack of coordination or a deliberate attempt to hurt Matic.

2015 form table

1: Liverpool DWWWDWW - 17 points

2: Arsenal LWWWLWW - 15 points

3: Chelsea LWWDWWD - 14 points

4: Southampton WWWLWDL - 13 points

5: Tottenham WLWWWLD - 13 points

6: Man City WDLDDWW - 12 points

7: Man Utd DLWWDWL - 11 points

8: Stoke DLWWDLW - 11 points

9: Crystal Palace DWWLWDL - 11 points

10: West Brom DWDLDWD - 10 points

11: Hull WLLLDWW - 10 points

12: Swansea DDLWDLW - 9 points

13: West Ham DDWLDDD - 8 points

14: Everton LDDWDLD - 7 points

15: Burnley DWLLDLD - 6 points

16: Newcastle DLLWDDL - 6 points

17: Sunderland LLLWDLD - 5 points

18: Leicester DWLLLLD - 5 points

19: QPR DLLLLWL - 4 points

20: Aston Villa DLLLLLL - 1 point

How Barnes has got away with that I have no idea. Meanwhile Matic has a 3 match ban and can't play in the cup final. It's very rare I feel sorry for a Chelsea player but how the **** is that fair?

It just proves that refs are out of touch with the game. I'd be absolutely livid if somebody put in a challenge like that on me and would probably have reacted far worse in the heat of the moment than Matic did.

Why can't they look at it retrospectively and say Matic probably reacted reasonably well to a horror challenge and shouldn't be punished? Surely common sense should prevail

It just proves that refs are out of touch with the game. I'd be absolutely livid if somebody put in a challenge like that on me and would probably have reacted far worse in the heat of the moment than Matic did.

Why can't they look at it retrospectively and say Matic probably reacted reasonably well to a horror challenge and shouldn't be punished? Surely common sense should prevail

Absolutely. Not trying to make out like I'm hard man or anything (I've had about 3 proper fights in my whole life) but when I was 20 I was playing in the same team as my younger brother and a lad broke his leg with an absolutely disgusting tackle. I absolutely lost it and smacked the guy and broke his nose. Matic reacted a lot more appropriately than I did in a similar situation.

2015 form table

1: Liverpool DWWWDWW - 17 points

2: Arsenal LWWWLWW - 15 points

3: Chelsea LWWDWWD - 14 points

4: Southampton WWWLWDL - 13 points

5: Tottenham WLWWWLD - 13 points

6: Man City WDLDDWW - 12 points

7: Man Utd DLWWDWL - 11 points

8: Stoke DLWWDLW - 11 points

9: Crystal Palace DWWLWDL - 11 points

10: West Brom DWDLDWD - 10 points

11: Hull WLLLDWW - 10 points

12: Swansea DDLWDLW - 9 points

13: West Ham DDWLDDD - 8 points

14: Everton LDDWDLD - 7 points

15: Burnley DWLLDLD - 6 points

16: Newcastle DLLWDDL - 6 points

17: Sunderland LLLWDLD - 5 points

18: Leicester DWLLLLD - 5 points

19: QPR DLLLLWL - 4 points

20: Aston Villa DLLLLLL - 1 point

3 points off 13th

Absolutely. Not trying to make out like I'm hard man or anything (I've had about 3 proper fights in my whole life) but when I was 20 I was playing in the same team as my younger brother and a lad broke his leg with an absolutely disgusting tackle. I absolutely lost it and smacked the guy and broke his nose. Matic reacted a lot more appropriately than I did in a similar situation.

So does the complete lack of reaction from the other Chelsea players mean that they don't care a fig about whether Matic gets hurt?  Or is it because Chelsea are such a well-disciplined side that they know not even to move when the ref gives a decision they don't like?  Or does it mean that they didn't think it was a bad tackle either?

(Actually it wasn't a tackle at all.  Bad or good.)

So does the complete lack of reaction from the other Chelsea players mean that they don't care a fig about whether Matic gets hurt? Or is it because Chelsea are such a well-disciplined side that they know not even to move when the ref gives a decision they don't like? Or does it mean that they didn't think it was a bad tackle either?

(Actually it wasn't a tackle at all. Bad or good.)

Could've smapped his leg, simple as that

So does the complete lack of reaction from the other Chelsea players mean that they don't care a fig about whether Matic gets hurt? Or is it because Chelsea are such a well-disciplined side that they know not even to move when the ref gives a decision they don't like? Or does it mean that they didn't think it was a bad tackle either?

(Actually it wasn't a tackle at all. Bad or good.)

Or is it because most of them didn't get a clear view of it? The reaction that tells you all you need to know was from Matic himself. Come on mate, if that were a Leicester player I would honestly be saying exactly the same thing. Barnes knew exactly what he was doing both times.

Archived