Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bagworthblue

Time to expand the KP?

No no no no no.

look at the average attendance since we moved to the walkers.

Although up on filbert st due to better facilities and the modern trend of families attending games we still can't fill it week in week out despite what 2 titles and 2 play-off campaigns.

Add to that even if we do hang around the top flight how much draw do stoke, west ham etc really have. For some reason people only really want to go see utd, liverpool etc.

Which leaves us with a half full ground 7 times out of 10.

And realistically unless the owners expanded but then choose to reduce prices. How many more people are gonna buy tickets every week.

Football pricing has already gone beyond the masses.

Add to boot that the fact we have a successful rugby team on our doorstep and the 10 years in the wilderness has helped develop another generation of armchair fans of clubs such as chelski and arsenal, replacing the liverpool and alike I had to put up with.

I just don't see ground expansion as a viable option.

Sorry business people but I think the club should rince you 1st.

No no no no no.

look at the average attendance since we moved to the walkers.

Although up on filbert st due to better facilities and the modern trend of families attending games we still can't fill it week in week out despite what 2 titles and 2 play-off campaigns.

Add to that even if we do hang around the top flight how much draw do stoke, west ham etc really have. For some reason people only really want to go see utd, liverpool etc.

Which leaves us with a half full ground 7 times out of 10.

And realistically unless the owners expanded but then choose to reduce prices. How many more people are gonna buy tickets every week.

Football pricing has already gone beyond the masses.

Add to boot that the fact we have a successful rugby team on our doorstep and the 10 years in the wilderness has helped develop another generation of armchair fans of clubs such as chelski and arsenal, replacing the liverpool and alike I had to put up with.

I just don't see ground expansion as a viable option.

Sorry business people but I think the club should rince you 1st.

The last time we was in the prem we averaged just under 31,000.... And this time around will be the same,so I don't understand we're you are coming from

I'm not for or against expanding the stadium as i'm sure they would need to produce a business plan that included extra non football revenue to justify it but i just don't get this not until we're established as you can never guarantee that even after a couple of successful seasons.

Who would have predicted our demise when we commenced with the building of the KP, not many I suspect.

All the teams in the bottom half of the PL are one successful season away from relegation not matter how long they've been there.

It is not just about success on the pitch, it is about seeing if it is a sustainable project to expand the stadium. One season of full houses on the back of winning the championship and our first season in the prem for 10 years does not make it a viable proposition.

If after a few seasons of getting beaten on a regular basis, and hovering around the relegation zone, after the gloss of being a new prem team has come off, and we are still getting full houses then it is time to expand.

The last time we was in the prem we averaged just under 31,000.... And this time around will be the same,so I don't understand we're you are coming from

Which was after a relegation followed by a promotion. At a new ground. With for mentioned better facilities.

10 years is a long time. I'd just wait and see.

For example I'd love to know how many of these new 7k of season ticket holders are going to watch us.

Most of the ones I know haven't held a season ticket in 10 years and only started re-attending games in the last 2 seasons.

I'm pretty sure the novelty will wear off again.

We are Leicester city not man utd. Look at our core fanbase at filbert st. 14k?

At the walkers/kp 21/23k a huge step in the right direction.

But expansion is running before crawling.

Had a chat about it in FCC tonight. No immediate plans are club are well aware that our average gate in the Championship last season was only 25k despite being runaway leaders.

If we become an established premier league team and constantly fill the ground it's a possibility. Looking at a cost of about £20m though for 6-8,000 extra seats.

Which was after a relegation followed by a promotion. At a new ground. With for mentioned better facilities.

10 years is a long time. I'd just wait and see.

For example I'd love to know how many of these new 7k of season ticket holders are going to watch us.

Most of the ones I know haven't held a season ticket in 10 years and only started re-attending games in the last 2 seasons.

I'm pretty sure the novelty will wear off again.

We are Leicester city not man utd. Look at our core fanbase at filbert st. 14k?

At the walkers/kp 21/23k a huge step in the right direction.

But expansion is running before crawling.

You look at any clubs in the 80's and 90's attendances were poor for a reason,football hooliganism,i remember gates of 8,9,10,000 in the Pleat era....these days are different even the Asian community feel safe to go to matches.

Its no surprise people want to see us in the prem,with a ground capacity of 40,000 you are guaranteed of at least 5 sell outs with Man U,Man C,Liverpool,Arsenal and Liverpool...then you have the likes of Aston Villa,Spurs,Newcastle,Sunderland and Everton then you are looking at 34,000 plus...its a no brainer for me its about time we showed how big a side we can be.

Had a chat about it in FCC tonight. No immediate plans are club are well aware that our average gate in the Championship last season was only 25k despite being runaway leaders.

If we become an established premier league team and constantly fill the ground it's a possibility. Looking at a cost of about £20m though for 6-8,000 extra seats.

Thanks for passing on the info, so if we say 8000 new seats at an average price of 30 quid, then a full sell out with additional seats would net 240,000 excluding additional costs of maintenance of these extra seats, it would need 100 sell outs to recoup the cost, if my calculations are correct.

We will go back down one day, maybe this season, maybe in 5 years, maybe 10 years.

I think if we are all honest we know it will happen.

I think our ground is the right size for Championship and Premiership football as it is.

Lack of ambition? Perhaps. Just being realistic.

Joking aside our owners have a five year plan to get into europe.

I do not see the KP being the same stadium as it is now if we reach there aim.

if we stay up well next season ie 10th or above they will rush it through.

The only way I see us in europe with the KP as it is now is if next season we stay up and win a cup to get into europe.

We will go back down one day, maybe this season, maybe in 5 years, maybe 10 years.

I think if we are all honest we know it will happen.

I think our ground is the right size for Championship and Premiership football as it is.

Lack of ambition? Perhaps. Just being realistic.

You maybe right but our owners ambition say's different.

With there backing and the right choices made relegation may never happen.

None of us know where football or LCFC will be in ten years.

FFP will stop a chelski or man city in the future and as the field levels break into europe who knows.

Win the league and a cup we would fill 50 to 60k stadium.

Win the league once we get a generation.

The only reason Blackburn failed was man u 10 miles down the road had it been us our fan base would have doubled or trebled over night.

Would be murder to upgrade so soon you need to make sure the demand is there to re-coup the out lay of extension otherwise other parts of the club will be financially hit. You dont extendfor example to 40-45k unless you know you can fill it to at least 38k take into account splitting home/away fans otherwise your not making enough to pay the outlay . That is all just guess work who knows what profit we will make on match days during next season but wud make sence if after 6-7 seasons we were regulars in europa league and still in prem as long as demand for seats

In all honesty I think we probably could have needed another 5000-6000 seats for this season.

With the segregation, hospitality and away fans it's going to be difficult to pick up those remaining tickets.

We shouldn't expand straight away but if we stay up for a few years and the ST numbers hold around where they are now, we risk not attracting any fresh blood to supporting the club. There will be families who just won't be able to get tickets to take the kids along.

One for the future hopefully.

It is not just about success on the pitch, it is about seeing if it is a sustainable project to expand the stadium. One season of full houses on the back of winning the championship and our first season in the prem for 10 years does not make it a viable proposition.

If after a few seasons of getting beaten on a regular basis, and hovering around the relegation zone, after the gloss of being a new prem team has come off, and we are still getting full houses then it is time to expand.

That's why I said it needs to be based on extra non football revenues not just increased crowds.

I'm sure they'll only consider expansion when there's a justifiable business need and I'm sure or at least hope it would include contingencies to cover for the possibility of relegationon it's completion.

I think the club will look at percentages rather than actual numbers in deciding whether to extend the ground.

Last season our average attendance was around 78% of the total capacity which suggests that ground is too small for our fan base in the Premier League, this seems to backed up by the season ticket sales and I estimate that we will be around 97-98% full next season.

The season Hull & Palace went up, there average attendance in the championship 67% (Hull) & 66% (Palace) rising to 94% (Hull) & 91% (Palace), this suggests to me that their size of the ground is right.

Looking at a couple of other clubs

Sunderland 48,000 capacity averaged 66% attendance on that capacity the last season they was in the championship, last seasons average attendance was 85% of capacity

West Ham 35,000 capacity averaged 82% attendance on that capacity the last season they was in the championship, last seasons average attendance was 98% of capacity

If we was to add an extra 8000 seats on the KP, taking it to 40,000, and take 67% as bench mark for championship attendances for a team doing well, our ave attendance would need to be 26,800

on 40,000 if we take 91% capacity as a guide that would mean average attendances of 36,400, something like this might be the benchmark in deciding to expand the ground.

Whatever we decide to do, it can't be at the expense of investing on players, as like the post above we don't want another Wolves on our hands.

I did ask if anyone believed the owners were planning for this, and use the terms if we stay up and long term. Realistically, the earliest this could take place in for the 16/17 season if plans were being drawn up now though I imagine it more likely to be post 17/18.

The owners have been quoted as being ambitious enough to aim to be a top 5 team (*!*!?). This is either complete naivety or they intend to invest very heavily in the coming years to turn us from a small/medium club to a larger club able to sustain such ambition. This would see an end to the yo yo nature of our club were it to be achieved and substantially increase interest in attending games.

It's a lon term question. I wasn't suggesting we whip up a stand using lego in the next 5 weeks

Archived