Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Central Midfielder?

Havent we just invested in Upson..???, how many centerbacks do people think we can afford.

Any top CB will be wanting playing guarrantees.

Plus I trust Schlupp, I am predicting he will have a great season.

I did say 'pacey' centre half twice in that post, Upson is a good signing but he's not quick and neither are the others hence I think we need an alternative. I'd imagine most prem sides have at least 4 CBs to choose from, I don't see having a 5th option as being excessive.

Hope you're right about Jeff. I like him a lot but I think he's very raw as an LB and imho he wasn't altogether convincing last season against some of the better wingers in the Champ which makes me wonder how he'll fare against top wingers. Surely a solid alternative is needed as Konch's best days are behind him and what if Jeff gets a significant injury?

We will almost certainly need a bigger squad this year.

If we sign the 2 strikers then another central midfielder and a left back are the only positions that we should definately be looking to fill. Prehaps then we could look at more of a utility player who can cover all the wider positions and play 'in the hole', such as Nick Powell on loan, to supplement the squad.

If we sign the 2 strikers then another central midfielder and a left back are the only positions that we should definately be looking to fill. Prehaps then we could look at more of a utility player who can cover all the wider positions and play 'in the hole', such as Nick Powell on loan, to supplement the squad.

How about a utility player in defence instead?

Charlie Mulgrew can operate at CB, LB & DM 

He played for Arsenal yesterday, have they gave him a new contract?

Probably just training/doing pre season with them over the summer. I do hope we sign him, if we didn't have such a solid line with Was, Wes and Moore then he definitely would have started. Definitely a good Championship defender and if we loaned him our for half a season then brought him back to check on his progress it would be ideal. A future partnership of Moore/Miquel would compliment each other no ends, Wes and Was won't be around for more than 3 years unfortunately.

I'm agreeing with the posts for utility players. I've seen mulgrew mentioned a few times, have we been linked? I'd like to see at least one more fullback come in, not convinced we need another central defender, we might be short on pace but realistically that position is sorted for the season.

But to the point of the midfield, I would like a defensive midfielder, possibly an attacking midfielder also. however id be happy with a left winger as in a 4-2-3-1 we could play nugent, knockaert or king in the attacking role. Maybe even Riyad.

I like Hammond but we need a Prem quality holding midfielder. Priority for me, ahead of full backs. 

I agree, when you get promoted and buy new players they have to be better than what you've got so they become the new first teamers. Last seasons first teamers become fringe players and last seasons fringe players are sold/contracts/loans not renewed, i.e. GTF, Hammond, Miguel, Wood (?) ... although i like Wood and reckon he can upset a few defences in the Prem.

Hate to say it but i liked what Hull had last season and could do with players similar to Davies, Huddlestone, Long... can't believe they got Ince too, hmmmm Milan or Hull?!

I don't think CM is essential. Maybe we could do with that extra strength in depth but we have enough versatile players to fill in on the odd occasion. Matty James and Danny Drinkwater were the best midfield partnership in the league last season. Andy King is our all time top goalscoring midfielder. Dean Hammond gets a lot of stick but he's Mr Dependable, we bring him on to help tighten games up and it certainly worked last season.

Gary Taylor-Fletcher played as CAM when he was last in the Prem, Nugent can also play in a similar position, not to mention Mahrez and Knockaert who can also play more central. Maybe even Albrighton. At one point last season, people on this forum were suggesting Wasilewski to play in CDM!

I strongly believe that the difference in quality between the top 5 Championship teams and bottom 5 Premier League teams is really not that big.

Agreed. Buy you cannot complain about somebody being 'off the pace' when he isn't getting game time.

It doesn't matter whether he is 40, 30 or 20. If you are coming off the bench for 5 mins a game you're always gonna be off the pace.

Really? So you've never seen a substitution that comes on the pitch and fits right in, or makes an impact.

I think a midfielder like Fletcher, Barry, De Jong.... Someone who will just hold in the middle and break play up. The 3 man midfield will be essential when playing the likes of Chelsea & Man City who play with 3 behind the striker against weaker opposition.

I think it'd be better for his career if we didn't, in honesty. The boy needs regular first team football, he's played depressingly little first team stuff for a chap his age, he often didn't make the squad in the Championship, can't imagine his chances increasing in the top tier.

I certainly agree. He will never get a game in the Premiership, and career wise, a move would be more beneficial to him.

CM not a priority for me. The next signing should be a centre-back to help Liam Moore and eventually replace Wes Morgan.

Drinky and James are our best players. The third ‘midfield’ spot will be between Nugent, King and GTF.

I’ve still got a sneaky tingle that Andy King will emerge as a regular in that third midfielder spot. Sitting in front of James and Drinkwater, relieved of defensive duties, I think he could do pretty well.

I’m already planning for our ‘difficult second season’ and would buy a centre-back. Upson 35, Was 34, Morgan 30. Not a lot of future in that lot.

Was discussing this yesterday with my mates.

We suggest that the defence will just about be ok (other than Schlupp..see below), BUT where we could suffer is in the protection they get from the midfield. When we have got quick and able attacking midfielders, running in the space between our defence and midfield, do you really want King and Hammond to be covering back, making last ditch tackles, stopping play building up before our defence are exposed. Do we think that King and Hammond are going to be good enough, if James and Drinkwater are injured or suspended.

Our general thought was no, they probably won't be.

Is it time for that fabled DM to be recruited? The bigger, stronger, tougher bloke to be around to shield the back four?

We thought yes, it probably is. We've done well with the box-to-box central midfielders last season, based upon our style of play. But will it wash at home on the opening day against Barkley, Seamus Coleman, Baines et al? And then thereafter?

We'll soon see.

Finally, they disagreed with me completely over Schlupp. Not good enough defensively was the verdict. A better left back is needed.

Was discussing this yesterday with my mates.

We suggest that the defence will just about be ok (other than Schlupp..see below), BUT where we could suffer is in the protection they get from the midfield. When we have got quick and able attacking midfielders, running in the space between our defence and midfield, do you really want King and Hammond to be covering back, making last ditch tackles, stopping play building up before our defence are exposed. Do we think that King and Hammond are going to be good enough, if James and Drinkwater are injured or suspended.

Our general thought was no, they probably won't be.

Is it time for that fabled DM to be recruited? The bigger, stronger, tougher bloke to be around to shield the back four?

We thought yes, it probably is. We've done well with the box-to-box central midfielders last season, based upon our style of play. But will it wash at home on the opening day against Barkley, Seamus Coleman, Baines et al? And then thereafter?

We'll soon see.

Finally, they disagreed with me completely over Schlupp. Not good enough defensively was the verdict. A better left back is needed.

And thankfully for this thread, there was no mention of JET in that post, as a possible DM  lol

You've done well Col  :appl:

I think you're right we do need a new central midfielder. A Tom Huddlestone type - tough but can play a bit too! Most interesting thing in terms of signings is our defense. Not sure Schlupp is a PL RB or our two first choice central defenders have what it takes! only one way to find out tho!

Personally can't abide the idea of becoming the frightened little boys of the division, trying to shelter behind a packed midfield. We won the league last season playing good attacking football and there's plenty of teams in the premiership that we can beat playing the same way. Would rather we went out and had a go against the big boys instead of trying and inevitably failing to contain them. What's the point in promotion if you aren't going to give it a proper go once you're up?

To answer the question I wouldn't mind a very attacking central midfielder but I don't want any more defensive midfielders. Having Hammond is enough for the very rare occasions I'd want to see us playing a DM. A new Lb is much more important than any type of midfielder at this stage.

Archived