Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Air Algerie AH5017 - Sahara

It's all going wrong for the aviation industry. This is getting crazy. All unrelated incidents now but plane down in Taiwan last night and now Air Algerie have lost a plane with 110 on board somewhere over the Sahara.

Can't post links on my phone, sorry.

All over the BEEB and other news.

Do you work for Air Traffic Control or something, that you're always the one breaking the news of these air disasters?

You're not the leader of a global terrorist gang, are you?  :ph34r:

That will give the conspiracy theorists food for thought....Was Finnegan on the grassy knoll? Did he melt the metal girders in the Twin Towers? Has he been seen riding Shergar in the company of a Mr. Presley?  lol

Thinking this is probably just a routine glitch being over reported due to recent events

Possibly, you do have to wonder whether these last two disasters (awful as they are for the families of the dead) would have had the same mainstream coverage if not for Malaysia's losses.

Possibly, you do have to wonder whether these last two disasters (awful as they are for the families of the dead) would have had the same mainstream coverage if not for Malaysia's losses.

I'd think so. Aviation disaster's are usually few and far between, I mean flying is the safest method of transport, and they are all usually reported well. Can't really talk about Internationally but in this Country, they are usually covered by National media. 

Though Aviation has took a massive hit recently. Part of my thinks and wants this not to be true. Bet these past few weeks haven't done the people who are scared of flying any favours! 

Do you work for Air Traffic Control or something, that you're always the one breaking the news of these air disasters?

You're not the leader of a global terrorist gang, are you? :ph34r:

That will give the conspiracy theorists food for thought....Was Finnegan on the grassy knoll? Did he melt the metal girders in the Twin Towers? Has he been seen riding Shergar in the company of a Mr. Presley? lol

I'm more about blowing up tax offices, sabotaging pipe lines and burning down holiday homes.

Guest MattP

The Dutch one would, it's in the top ten aviation disasters in history and appears to have been shot down in a region that is in conflict that's in our news everyday.

The African one no chance, would probably have made the 3.30am 'world news' slot but no chance of any daytime coverage. (same way that the passenger jet in Taiwan yesterday didn't make our main news) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-28457657

The Dutch one would, it's in the top ten aviation disasters in history and appears to have been shot down in a region that is in conflict that's in our news everyday.

The African one no chance, would probably have made the 3.30am 'world news' slot but no chance of any daytime coverage. (same way that the passenger jet in Taiwan yesterday didn't make our main news) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-28457657

I meant Taiwan and Algeria. Obviously the Ukraine crash is massive international news.

Guest MattP

Ditto. 

This shit shouldn't be happening with this regularity - aviation engineering is too good.

Fully expect it in Africa to be honest, Air Gabon you didn't even get a seatbelt unless you were in first class.

For it to be happening to huge carriers though it's quite frightening.

I'm getting more nervous with age. I also disagree with people saying it's the safest form of transport. On Wiki I see 117 deaths per billion journeys by plane versus 4 deaths per billion for buses, 20 deaths by rail and 40 deaths by car. Obviously it remains incredibly safe but certainly not the safest.

Regardless of the stats as well there's something fundamentally disconcerting when you're 10km above the ground in a very small tube going at >500mph. Thankfully there's such a thing as Valium.

Just after I finished reading Kathy Reichs "fatal voyage" and it's not really worth reading if you wondered.

My son regularly takes me up in a light plane. Love flying.

I'm getting more nervous with age. I also disagree with people saying it's the safest form of transport. On Wiki I see 117 deaths per billion journeys by plane versus 4 deaths per billion for buses, 20 deaths by rail and 40 deaths by car. Obviously it remains incredibly safe but certainly not the safest.

Regardless of the stats as well there's something fundamentally disconcerting when you're 10km above the ground in a very small tube going at >500mph. Thankfully there's such a thing as Valium.

I've gotten nervous with age, granted I'm only 22, I think it's natural.

I love feeling the power when it takes off, but a couple of years ago I experienced taking off, then the aircraft dropped a bit, so I'm always nervous it's going to happen again. I hate flying over water as well. Just miles of water. Rather fly over land.

I do love flying but I also love getting off the aircraft when we've safely landed.

Where does your Son regular take you up FIF?

lol

I will be more careful when typing in the future (and insist he wears a condom).

Fully expect it in Africa to be honest, Air Gabon you didn't even get a seatbelt unless you were in first class.

For it to be happening to huge carriers though it's quite frightening.

Yeah, pretty much right. Air safety across Africa is a joke but for major carriers to be going down with this regularity is worrying.

Workers' Revolutionary Party of Ynys Mon?

Better stop the drivel and restart the work....

I'm joking, of course, but the above activities were the work of MAC, the FWA and Meibion Glyndwr, Welsh separatist groups.

I don't particularly believe strongly in Welsh independence. Though that's really not for this thread.

I'm joking, of course, but the above activities were the work of MAC, the FWA and Meibion Glyndwr, Welsh separatist groups.

I don't particularly believe strongly in Welsh independence. Though that's really not for this thread.

Yes, I was being whimsical/silly to alleviate work tedium myself.

Getting back on-topic, after this series of plane crashes, I bet there are people out there buying shares in Eurostar, rail and ferry companies...and airline executives hoping no more jets fall out of the sky so that panic doesn't affect ticket sales.

Funny what we instinctively feel is "natural" or "dangerous". I don't get in a panic about flying, but certainly find the train or ferry a lot more relaxing. Yet neither train nor ferry is any more "natural" for the human body/mind. I don't know how their safety stats compare, but I think stats for air travel are pretty good generally. I seem to recall reading that you're statistically safer in a plane (at least a large jet operated by a reputable airline) than in a car....and how many people worry about travelling by car?

A few years back, I got talking to a woman on a station platform and she was in a state of panic about getting on a train. She'd not been on one for about 25 years, was commenting on how fast and dangerous they seemed etc. Was she any more irrational than someone worrying about boarding a plane now?

Archived