Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
deep blue

Dyer replacement - do we need one?

I would have loved to see Lloyd giving it a go in the Prem, if only as an impact sub, and I believe we will miss his pace and direct running - a useful option to have in the squad.  I've seen no transfer rumours so far that appear to address this gap in the squad, and I don't believe Albrighton can be considered as a replacement as he seems to me a different type of player.

That begs 2 questions:

1) Does Pearson intend to bring in a replacement for Dyer?

2) What players out there have the same kind of raw pace and directness that could be considered as a replacement for Lloyd on the left wing?

Anyone any opinions?

If we're playing 4-2-3-1 as many teams do then I don't think so. Vardy and Nugent can go out in the wide positions.

If however we're playing a formation with more traditional wingers then maybe we do.

My supposition is that Pearson won't play a formation that's fixed in concrete but will want a squad with as much flexibility in as possible, to try different formations and tactics to suit the state of a game.  Possession of  player such as Dyer would give him a different tactical option.

Thanks Dyer...thats it.

We now have a new team and squad, so nobody replaces anybody.

So get those silly replacement thoughts out of your system.

Dyer belongs to the past, even with all our gratitude, his era and footprint has gone, finnito, the parrot is dead.

Lets not have start of the season posts after a few games, stating how we miss Dyer, or we never replaced Dyer

Blah, blah, blah.

No.

I really respected Dyer, a top bloke, but not quite enough ability for the prem. Pace without consistent quality end product doesn't work.

Hopefully the current wide men will up their game and do the business.

Marc Albrighton? How is he a different player, he's a natural winger like Dyer. Might not have the same devastating pace, but I'm guessing his brian is quicker.

We have many options. On top of Albrighton, there is Knockaert and Mahrez. And when we play the bigger teams away from home, I'm guessing we'll play one up top (Ulloa) and might see Nugent or Vardy move into wide positions.

Thanks Dyer...thats it.

We now have a new team and squad, so nobody replaces anybody.

So get those silly replacement thoughts out of your system.

Dyer belongs to the past, even with all our gratitude, his era and footprint has gone, finnito, the parrot is dead.

Lets not have start of the season posts after a few games, stating how we miss Dyer, or we never replaced Dyer

Blah, blah, blah.

matty 

You could say Mahrez is Dyer's replacement, don't forget we only bought him in January.

End of last season we had 3 main wingers, all left footed. Now we have 3 main wingers, 2 left footed, 1 right footed so we're already in a better position.

If we play one up front, I can see Vardy being used out wide if necessary, maybe even Schlupp if we get a new left-back.

I really hope we don't play Vardy out wide. Play your best players in their best position!

I don't understand why we let dyer go. He was at worst cheap back up, at best a dangerous weapon to bring off the bench and run at tired legs.

If we were planning on adding two additional wingers then fair enough he may have been redundant, but only adding one leaves us short on cover.

Marc Albrighton? How is he a different player, he's a natural winger like Dyer. Might not have the same devastating pace, but I'm guessing his brian is quicker.

We have many options. On top of Albrighton, there is Knockaert and Mahrez. And when we play the bigger teams away from home, I'm guessing we'll play one up top (Ulloa) and might see Nugent or Vardy move into wide positions.

This is exactly the point I'm making.  The wingers we have now are better all-round players than Lloyd, but I don't think anyone touches him for raw pace applied in a very direct way.  It's an extra option we no longer have, and one that could prove necessary in some match situations.  The only players that come close in our squad in my view are Vardy and Schlupp, but we would lose by playing them out of position (I'm assuming Schlupp may become essential at LB;  and if Vardy were to play in a winger role his effectiveness as a harrier of the opposition defence would be blunted).  I'd hoped that Pearson would plug that gap  i.e. bring in a left-winger with deadly pace.

I don't understand why we let dyer go. He was at worst cheap back up, at best a dangerous weapon to bring off the bench and run at tired legs.

If we were planning on adding two additional wingers then fair enough he may have been redundant, but only adding one leaves us short on cover.

Simple, he was out of contract. If we couldn't offer him sufficient money/terms then we can't stop him leaving, which is what happened.

Currently we have 3 wide players - Mahrez, Albrighton and Knockeart (CAM is his better position)

I would feel more comfortable if we brought one more in so we have depth on both sides of the pitch. I don't buy the idea of playing Vardy/Nugent out wide.

I would like to see Nathan Redmond brought in.

Who's this Brian? is he any good? :P

Archived