Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ImBlue

Pace at centre back?

Is it me or are we lacking here? Little worried we haven't heard any news on defenders incoming and that the speed on the premier league will expose this more.

Organisation will get you so far but Wasilewski won't get away with what he did last year and often got caught out.

not many teams have genuine pace at centre back though. just good centre backs. mertesacker was one of the standout cbs in the league last year, new born babies can run faster than him. 

I thought both Morgan & Moore did pretty well today, and in the past when we have played against teams with one up front, we have been comfortable & have always stifled the oppositions attacks. We did that with Everton today, we hardly gave Naismith a sniff, he became isolated, we were able to then control possession from the back & play good football, all of which started from Moore & Morgan's feet. 

When we have played against teams with a lone striker, I've always felt confident, and I can see most teams playing a lone striker in the Premier League this season. If we are up against teams who play two strikers, then that will be more of a test, and pace wise, ideally I'd play Moore with Morgan in those games. How are the likes of Moore going to develop at Prem level, if we don't give them a chance, fingers crossed he features most games. 

We should be more worried about the left-back situation though, I think we need one now, Konchesky is past it. 

I thought both Morgan & Moore did pretty well today, and in the past when we have played against teams with one up front, we have been comfortable & have always stifled the oppositions attacks. We did that with Everton today, we hardly gave Naismith a sniff, he became isolated, we were able to then control possession from the back & play good football, all of which started from Moore & Morgan's feet.

When we have played against teams with a lone striker, I've always felt confident, and I can see most teams playing a lone striker in the Premier League this season. If we are up against teams who play two strikers, then that will be more of a test, and pace wise, ideally I'd play Moore with Morgan in those games. How are the likes of Moore going to develop at Prem level, if we don't give them a chance, fingers crossed he features most games.

We should be more worried about the left-back situation though, I think we need one now, Konchesky is past it.

Teams will play 2 up top against promoted sides I believe. I think that's harsh on konch, and even more so on Jeff who did excellently well in our run in.

If Liam is our first choice centre back next season I will be questioning the transfer business that we do.

I hate this attitude. People always crying out for our youth system to produce quality and when it does, you want to buy someone else in?

How will he improve without playing? He's got massive potential. Let's back that and have a back up.

I hate this attitude. People always crying out for our youth system to produce quality and when it does, you want to buy someone else in?

How will he improve without playing? He's got massive potential. Let's back that and have a back up.

I don't think the best way to harness potential is by sticking your eggs in a 21 year old academy products basket. He hasn't played at that level and throwing a player like him in the deep end with world class players can do damage.

Plus, I don't think he is ready.

I don't understand this

You can count pacey CBs in the whole country on one hand, if you're a fast kid you don't get stuck at the back you play in attacking roles including modern day RB/LB

We've got a good defence who were a bit exposed at setpieces & in the air in general, so we've signed an absolute cracker in Upson to help us there

I don't think the best way to harness potential is by sticking your eggs in a 21 year old academy products basket. He hasn't played at that level and throwing a player like him in the deep end with world class players can do damage.

But why is it that Southampton did exactly that and are now selling their two full backs for 60 million combined?

Have faith and we shall see. Don't try and never know.

Teams will play 2 up top against promoted sides I believe. I think that's harsh on konch, and even more so on Jeff who did excellently well in our run in.

Can't see Everton doing so first game, they will play the same formation as they did today or 4-4-1-1 with Barkley behind the main striker.

I'm not the only one to say a new left-back is needed, Konchesky has lost his pace, he doesn't seem up to it, and slowly over the course of past season's after a consistent first season with us, he is slowly deteriorating. As for Schlupp I like him, but I don't think he is up to playing every game, if given the chance he will stand out some games, and struggle in others. 

Central defence for me is sorted now, Moore is the future of Leicester City, Morgan is our captain, while Upson has the experience. 

This isnt putting the boy down, but Matthew Upson was in the championship last season and was one the best defenders, if not the best.

But there is a reason he was there, he had really declined as a top level footballer and became very clumsy.

A top centre back instead of bidding for a 6th striker I would have thought to make perfect sense.

I don't think having a slightly quicker centre-back is going to make any difference when you're up against world class attackers who can make any opposition player look terrible. It's more about the positioning and decision making.

**** off with this pace obsession now. We have 4 centre backs, one we've just signed and the other 3 have just signed new deals-were not going to sign another one. Trust Pearson and trust the players that got us where we are now. Its not like our defence is Zak Whitbread (shit and slow) we may not have the paciest of defenders but I think they're just about good enough.

People forget the season starts a while before the transfer window shuts. We can test the waters with what we have before deciding anything further, and given we'll be expecting to lose a few of the early matches anyway we can afford to do so.

Archived