Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rincewind

Stringer today

I think the listening fans owe him a bit of praise today. The radio link went down and he got a local friend to hook it up to the broadvast,. Somehow it got through to us. You may not like his commentary skills but today he got it through.when he could have shrugged his shoulders and said sorry nomatch coverage today. apparently it cost RL a few quid to do it but Stringer said we'll worry about that later.

How much would it be per min from there?

I think the listening fans owe him a bit of praise today. The radio link went down and he got a local friend to hook it up to the broadvast,. Somehow it got through to us. You may not like his commentary skills but today he got it through.when he could have shrugged his shoulders and said sorry nomatch coverage today. apparently it cost RL a few quid to do it but Stringer said we'll worry about that later.

I suspect it was actually a few engineers doing the work, some boss approving the costs and Stringer fishing for plaudits.

employee in 'showing tiny bit of initiative in their job' shocker.

Alan Young seems to be liking any comments bad mouthing Stringer on FB which is interesting...

Some of the comments are embarrassing, part of my wants to reply to them. "We didn't even turn the radio on", "we won't listen to RL again"... I mean, fvck me, do they support Leicester City or Alan Young? Fair play you might have liked him (would like to know what % liked him prior to reporting with RL) and now he isn't on air anymore but we've moved on and got a legend reporting with Stringer now in Gerry Taggart.

Some of the comments are embarrassing, part of my wants to reply to them. "We didn't even turn the radio on", "we won't listen to RL again"... I mean, fvck me, do they support Leicester City or Alan Young? Fair play you might have liked him (would like to know what % liked him prior to reporting with RL) and now he isn't on air anymore but we've moved on and got a legend reporting with Stringer now in Gerry Taggart.

Agreed. It really is embarrassing. What's more embarrassing is Alan Young actually starts to believe it too.

In his "final statement" he said he was sure we'd continue to support the club. Really? Shows the absolute arrogance of the man to think people will stop supporting us because he's gone.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, that man didn't give a shit about Leicester until he got the Job. He isn't one of us. He used that job to milk his reputation for everything it's worth and more.

I suspect it was actually a few engineers doing the work, some boss approving the costs and Stringer fishing for plaudits.

employee in 'showing tiny bit of initiative in their job' shocker.

In some people's eyes he will never be able to do right.

I wasn't listening on the radio but unless he was boasting that everyone was listening all thanks to him and what he did to get a stream going, how was he fishing for plaudits?

And if he was doing that I'll shut up

Generally out on OB you should have at least a couple of different methods of connecting for resilience. It's hardly worthy of applause. A bit of planning pre match is standard

Generally out on OB you should have at least a couple of different methods of connecting for resilience. It's hardly worthy of applause. A bit of planning pre match is standard

I was thinking that, surely there was quite a bit of money involved sending him and crew out there to provide commentary for a friendly?Only tuned in a bit before kick off while he was talking to Jason Bourne on mobile phone, and I was really worried he'd actually be covering the game over the phone. He then started slagging off the fact that they don't do DSL over there - why was this not looked into before hand? Think they were lucky in the end that it mostly went off without a hitch but it did seem a bit ridiculous

Agreed. It really is embarrassing. What's more embarrassing is Alan Young actually starts to believe it too.

In his "final statement" he said he was sure we'd continue to support the club. Really? Shows the absolute arrogance of the man to think people will stop supporting us because he's gone.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, that man didn't give a shit about Leicester until he got the Job. He isn't one of us. He used that job to milk his reputation for everything it's worth and more.

I suspect he gave as much of a shit about Leicester and is as much one of us as Gerry Taggart.

The last radio Leicester commentator was John Barber, who was a Derby fan.

Neville Foulger was a Cov fan, i don`t suppose either of them gave a shit about us either.

Listened to RL whilst on holiday in Sardinia. IMO, the commentary was poor, too much time chit-chatting with the local city fan and then suddenly saying we were attacking, next comment Wes had done a good header out of defence!

No flow, so never really got a feel for the game, although accept it was a friendly. Did laugh when IM put him in his place, Ian basically saying teams prefer 0-0 to 4-4; however, to be fair to IS was sticking up for the paying fans. (does anybody know Stringers middle name, does it begin with a "B"?)

If he did overcome technical problems then fair play to him.

But I have been told by other posters on this forum that he is a Leicester City hero.

Alan Young was very much a Leicester City hero of his time, just as we have had many other Leicester City heroes down the years.

Would you say that Vardy is a Leicester City hero of today?

Thirty years from now, will Vardy still be a hero of his time for you, or will he just be some old washed up footballer who just happened to play for us? 

Maybe we shouldn`t call any of our ex players a hero, if they played before the Sky, money orientated years.

Sometimes i wonder if some of the younger football fans believe, much like Sky TV seem too, that football didn`t exist until the Premier league was formed, and Sky tv coverage.

Listened to RL whilst on holiday in Sardinia. IMO, the commentary was poor, too much time chit-chatting with the local city fan and then suddenly saying we were attacking, next comment Wes had done a good header out of defence!

No flow, so never really got a feel for the game, although accept it was a friendly. Did laugh when IM put him in his place, Ian basically saying teams prefer 0-0 to 4-4; however, to be fair to IS was sticking up for the paying fans. (does anybody know Stringers middle name, does it begin with a "B"?)

If he did overcome technical problems then fair play to him.

To be fair to Stringer, it would have been easy for him to just say, this is not happening and leave it at that.

It does seem that he went out of his way to try and find a way, or find someone else who could find a way to make it work.

As for his commentary, it was very much done in a "this is a boring meaningless pre season friendly" kind of way, but then that`s the thing with pre season friendlies, that`s exactly what they are.

I suspect he gave as much of a shit about Leicester and is as much one of us as Gerry Taggart.

The last radio Leicester commentator was John Barber, who was a Derby fan.

Neville Foulger was a Cov fan, i don`t suppose either of them gave a shit about us either.

For a start I'd associate Gerry Taggart as someone with much more association with our club.

And it is one thing not caring, it's another thing pretending to care to gain some sort of fanbase online to inflate his ego because of years in a Caravan on the sauce

On the subject of pre-season friendlies I don't think radio stations should be spending money on commentaries. The matches are meaningless and I don't think many people would mind if they weren't covered.

On the subject of Alan Young whether he followed Leicester before he started the job we will never know. Having listened to him for 4 years I am pretty sure he did have passion for the club. His emotion at the end of the Forest match could not be faked.

For a start I'd associate Gerry Taggart as someone with much more association with our club.

And it is one thing not caring, it's another thing pretending to care to gain some sort of fanbase online to inflate his ego because of years in a Caravan on the sauce

Would you mind refraining from mocking a man's battle with depression and alcoholism please. By all means you can critique his punditry, I suppose you can even call into question his affiliation if you wish, but it really is rather low to mock a fellow who has battled such demons.

Gerry Taggart is just the same as Young, an ex player  who was a bit of a cult figure while he was here, both of who served the club well at the time, and who in the main, are remembered with fondness by the fans that saw them play for us..

Did Alan Young care about us after leaving and before his time with Radio Leicester, i`ve no idea, but many ex players have a soft spot for their previous clubs, especially if they had good times and were popular at that club.

As for bringing up the "years in a caravan on the sauce", i think that`s a low blow, which was out of order.

Archived