Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rincewind

Stringer today

Alan Young was very much a Leicester City hero of his time, just as we have had many other Leicester City heroes down the years.

Would you say that Vardy is a Leicester City hero of today?

Thirty years from now, will Vardy still be a hero of his time for you, or will he just be some old washed up footballer who just happened to play for us?

Maybe we shouldn`t call any of our ex players a hero, if they played before the Sky, money orientated years.

Sometimes i wonder if some of the younger football fans believe, much like Sky TV seem too, that football didn`t exist until the Premier league was formed, and Sky tv coverage.

They are not heroes.

A man who pulls a baby from a burning house, he's a hero.

A guy who plays football for a living is lucky.

I suspect it was actually a few engineers doing the work, some boss approving the costs and Stringer fishing for plaudits.

Ooh Davie you old cynic lol

In his "final statement" he said he was sure we'd continue to support the club. Really? Shows the absolute arrogance of the man to think people will stop supporting us because he's gone.

To quote Youngy correctly: "The BBC have decided to use a new summariser for the coming season and I would like to wish whoever that is my full support. It's now time to move on and draw a line under the past and I hope you will continue to give our great club – manager and players – as well as my former colleagues at Radio Leicester – your usual, magnificent support."

That doesn't sound like arrogance to me. That sounds like someone taking the BBC decision on the chin, moving on and wishing everyone well. I would even go as far as to say it was showing a bit of dignity in difficult circumstances.

Neville Foulger was a Cov fan

No he wasn't. He didn't support anyone then. He just happened to have spent a very long time covering Coventry for the local paper. Nev's lived in Leicestershire for a considerable period and followed our progress in a professional capacity for 25 years. While I don't think he'd ever say he was a Leicester supporter, I do believe he feels more for us than anyone else.

And it is one thing not caring, it's another thing pretending to care to gain some sort of fanbase online to inflate his ego because of years in a Caravan on the sauce

As others have said, that's a pretty unpleasant, personal thing to bring up. 

To quote Youngy correctly: "The BBC have decided to use a new summariser for the coming season and I would like to wish whoever that is my full support. It's now time to move on and draw a line under the past and I hope you will continue to give our great club – manager and players – as well as my former colleagues at Radio Leicester – your usual, magnificent support."

That doesn't sound like arrogance to me. That sounds like someone taking the BBC decision on the chin, moving on and wishing everyone well. I would even go as far as to say it was showing a bit of dignity in difficult circumstances.

No he wasn't. He didn't support anyone then. He just happened to have spent a very long time covering Coventry for the local paper. Nev's lived in Leicestershire for a considerable period and followed our progress in a professional capacity for 25 years. While I don't think he'd ever say he was a Leicester supporter, I do believe he feels more for us than anyone else.

As others have said, that's a pretty unpleasant, personal thing to bring up.

Let's see how gerry does.

Used to love nev. Don't care who he supports.

Personal problems get dragged up. That's the way of the modern world.

Infact how about a nev and geoff combination.

2 weeks in ibiza next july. Hope mr random silly, geoff peters, dj willy puller is about lol

I am an old cynic but I wasn't tryng to be cynical here I just think that on too many occasions people forget about the men and women behind the men and women, the people that do all the work unseen behind the scenes.

Personal problems get dragged up. That's the way of the modern world.

Infact how about a nev and geoff combination.

2 weeks in ibiza next july. Hope mr random silly, geoff peters, dj willy puller is about lol

"That's the way of the modern world." Doesn't make it right or pleasant does it?

Nev and Geoff? Nev's semi retired (possibly fully retired, not sure) and I think that "Geoff" bloke is quite happy with his life as it is - Ibiza and all  ;)

I am an old cynic but I wasn't tryng to be cynical here I just think that on too many occasions people forget about the men and women behind the men and women, the people that do all the work unseen behind the scenes.

I agree with you totally about the people behind the scenes (in all walks of life) who do a lot of graft but it often goes unnoticed. 

Thanks for pointing out his actual statement Geoff. "I hope you will continue to support out great club" is the line I was getting at. It's extremely arrogant in my opinion. I think the man genuinely believes he's some god at the club now, as proved when he inappropriately come to the balcony in the square to receive a cheer from the crowd.

I appreciate the caravan comment was a low blow so to put it a different way - I feel he had come from such a "dark place" that when he started to gain a little fanbase online it went massively to his head and he started to believe he had taken on some huge role within our club, when in reality he was just a match summariser.

On the subject of pre-season friendlies I don't think radio stations should be spending money on commentaries. The matches are meaningless and I don't think many people would mind if they weren't covered.

On the subject of Alan Young whether he followed Leicester before he started the job we will never know. Having listened to him for 4 years I am pretty sure he did have passion for the club. His emotion at the end of the Forest match could not be faked.!

never will forget that commentary youngys reaction in the background is priceless, and he wasnt even on mic !

But I have been told by other posters on this forum that he is a Leicester City hero.

104 appearances - including epic 1982 FA Cup qtr final win (Youngy was one of a few heros that day) - 26 goals - to those that watched him score them (like me) he is a #lcfchero

Despite me maybe sounding critical of the man because I believe he used the opportunity to take advantage of our fans....

I will say the commentary against Forest sends shivers down my spine everytime I hear it and its something that will stay with me forever. Having grown up in Nottingham my whole life, that game was payback for everything. Despite what happened a week later.

We all make mistakes in life, Matt, and Youngy is no different to the rest of us. I hope he comes through this experience a stronger person. Sometimes he writes / says things in slightly the wrong way but everything is from the heart and I can assure you, mistakes aside, he is a genuinely decent, humble bloke who really does care about LCFC with a burning passion. Anyway, up the City!

Alan Young was my son's first footbsll hero , mine was Davie Gibson they stay with you for your life and you remember them as they were in their heroic mode.

When we think back to our first times watching city it's their images and performances that come to mind.

Regardless of what people think of Stringer I'd like to see everyone else do a better job, then maybe you'll realise that it's not as easy as you think.

Regardless of what people think of Stringer I'd like to see everyone else do a better job, then maybe you'll realise that it's not as easy as you think.

I like Stringer. Don't get why he takes so much stick. At least he's passionate, it's his club, better than some boring neutral reporting. 

yeah it does seem pretty difficult to ask inane, tabloidy questions to nigel in fairness.

Yeah great bloke. Stringy was also hooked up to radio Leicester the following morning and got cut off during the interview so do you know what the genius did? He called RL from his mobile and they did the interview via a phone in! Amazing, now that's thinking on your feet. The guy needs an award for intuition. 

We all make mistakes in life, Matt, and Youngy is no different to the rest of us. I hope he comes through this experience a stronger person. Sometimes he writes / says things in slightly the wrong way but everything is from the heart and I can assure you, mistakes aside, he is a genuinely decent, humble bloke who really does care about LCFC with a burning passion. Anyway, up the City!

Fair enough. You know him better than I do ;)

Archived